All Topics / Finance / Unhappy with Valuation – do we change lender?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of ZLBZLB
    @zlb

We have recently had our home valued to release equity in the property with our current lender. Unfortunately, the valuation came in so much lower than what we believed would be a conservative valuation. In fact, it almost feels like a joke, or a mistake, so our next thoughts were: should we take our business somewhere else?
    Our current Mortgage Broker has told us that there would be no point in doing that as every lender would use the same valuation company, however, I am not convinced.

While applying to release equity, we were told that we could also apply to fix the mortgage at the current rate, but now the Broker is advising us that we can't even do that….

I am new to all of this, but I do feel that some of the dots dont join up. Not only is it frustrating that we can not view the valuation, but then to be told we can't even fix our mortgage with the current lender?

Could someone please offer us advice on whether we should take this further or shop around for a new lender?

Thanks heaps!
    Zoe

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

How much the difference in terms of valuation ?

ANZ will give a free valuation…through breakfree package

Get the broker that know about how to do a deal

Profile photo of ZLBZLB
    @zlb

Our broker told us to put down $500k but we only expected between $450-$480k. The valuation came in at $400k….. the average median sold price in our area is $585k for houses, and $410 for units.
    Houses of the same quality and standard, but on a smaller block (by at least 300m2), are selling for at least $450k.

Does that sound right to you?
    Thanks for the info on ANZ. Will look into it!
    Z

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Zoe

I am assuming you are looking to refinance in order to release some equity.

Hate to say your Broker is incorrect and not every lender uses the same valuer.

Admitedly depending on where the security is located you might find the options limited however without more information it is difficult to comment.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Zoe

Ask your broker about carrying out an external refinance to a lender that allows for valuations to be ordered before an application is submitted. That way, there’s no immediate hit to your credit record and you’ll only need to proceed if the valuation comes in at the desired amount. Someone mentioned ANZ above – they are a lender that does this.

Keep in mind that there are costs involved with refinancing to another lender. Your broker should be able to outline these for you.

As Richard said though, if the property is located in a smallish place then the number of valuers may be limited and therefore your chances of having the same valuer assigned to the job is high.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You could approach another valuer and order one yourself. Before this ask him which lenders he can value for and make sure one of the lenders is one you could use. If it comes in good you can get the valuation reassigned to the lender.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

It sounds like your broker have never fought or argued a valuation before…it’s not common but if the difference is large and you have proof of comparative sales in the last 3 month…then your broker can request with the valuer to revalue the price.

Going to a different lender may help, but make sure you order Val first before you do a credit check with the new lender ( this will save on the amount of credit inquires you could potential build up)

If you want flick us the address and i can do a bit of search on comparative sales for you.

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

HI,

I don't see too much of an issue – in that IF you can provide examples of higher sales prices for similar properties, they will consider this & possibly review. Bear in mind valuers compare block size, bedrooms, street appeal, condition, and Sale – not For Sale – price.
    I have seen recent examples come in lower than rates notice CIV values based on comparative sales nearby.
    You mention 'are selling' but have the others you mention actually sold? The last 3 mths in particular, I have seen a lot of vals come in lower than owners think they are worth. My favourite was an 'off the plan' holiday unit purchased a couple of years back for $765k plus, now valued at just over $400k. Better stuff sold for low 4's.

Cheers

Profile photo of ksherwellksherwell
    @ksherwell

I suggest getting your own valuation done they are only $250 – $500 or seeing a real estate agent for a 3 month report of RP data.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.