All Topics / Help Needed! / 1 BR – easy to resell?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of ftchuaftchua
    @ftchua

Hi all,

Newbie here.

I am thinking of buying a 1BR (50sqm) in the Melbourne CBD, but I am not sure if the there is a healthy resale market for this kind of apartment size, if I eventually would decide to resell it down the road.

Can anyone give his 2cents?

Thanks for the responses in advance!!!

Profile photo of ALF1ALF1
    Participant
    @alf1

Hi Newbie.
    The Melbourne market is flooded with one bedroom apartments & student accomodation and I personally would not touch one with a 40 foot barge pole. Now a 2 bedroom is a different story and if it is the lower or cheaper end of the market you want to invest in, 2 bedroom minimum in an unit. Check out the link below for more info.

https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forums/property-investing/general-property/4336374

Profile photo of maria jayamaria jaya
    @maria-jaya

Hi There!

I am a newbie myself and seriously considering to buy a 1BR flat since that's the only kind of property I can afford at the moment.
    But they are mostly student accomodations and people's been telling me it's a bad idea.

What am I to do to ever own my own property then?

Profile photo of Aaron_CAaron_C
    Participant
    @aaron_c

Maria if you are having problems with affording your own place, that means that you are either limited by a) your income or b) your savings. For most people starting out the limiting factor is your savings. Therefore you have to buy a property that allows you to use maximum leverage, which may mean going up to a 95% LVR lend.

This is where the problem with 1 bedroom apartments in the CBD comes to a head – no one will lend you more than 80% of those property’s value – hence you will never be able to afford it anyway. Best to focus on areas outside the CBD where you can afford something with better leverage and get into the market.

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew
    maria jaya wrote:
    Hi There!

I am a newbie myself and seriously considering to buy a 1BR flat since that's the only kind of property I can afford at the moment.
    But they are mostly student accomodations and people's been telling me it's a bad idea.

What am I to do to ever own my own property then?

Maria, in property circles there are things called BAD EGGS. From the old saying that you cant make a bad egg into an omelette.

The point being that if you purchase bad to start with, you cant possibly make a good investment as your property commodity will never be in demand !!! NEVER !!! NOT EVER !!!

There is however a dissuader to this. Sometimes a property LOOKING like a bad egg can be changed into a useful property. This is one of the areas where you can make money. Finding a run-down 2 bedroom BV and expanding it to a 3 BR with study.

I actually used to sell some of these low value student accomodation units. The sales pitch was they were 'cash cows' at 6.5% return and they would be a solid managed investment. Thats the sales pitch. Want to know the reality?

You have an 'investment' that the banks wont lend on or allow you to borrow on. You have itinerant tenancies which means that they are either one year .. or even less. You have reasonable bodycorp fees. You have almost NO growth demonstrated over a 5 year period. You have a 'fashion statement' which means students are looking for the most up-to-date unit for their money.

With any reasonable investment you want to be holding onto a valued commodity. Thats central to having an asset that will appreciate in value.

To answer your question regarding value .. i just organised an investment of 2 bedroom units for a relative. Just under 10 square units .. including a breakfast area .. a carspace .. a storage unit and even a balcony with great views to the hills. Returns just over 7%. How much you ask? Does 92k per unit sound like a good price?

I have no qualms with it being a good long term investment because – its close to facilities .. both shopping centre and industrial zones, it has a regular supply of tenants, the property can be let to just about anyone, the rent offered is affordable, and the property is comfortable to live in. With views.

For your long term investing you need to make good property judgements rather than 'adequate' ones. If you cant see your property being successful without it majorly changing its status .. then you have a long term investment bad egg.

Thats just not where you want to be.

Profile photo of james_boagsjames_boags
    @james_boags

I just sold a new 36sq recently because i became aware of how much new stock is coming on the market, i broke even over a 2.5 yr period but happy i got out

Profile photo of maria jayamaria jaya
    @maria-jaya

Wow!Thanks heaps Aaron C and Xdrew for your inputs!

Definitely eye opening!

I'll just have to find something outin the suburbs then.

Does anyone have any idea on where I can find out informations about suburbs that have healthy growth and good returns?

Thanks again!

Profile photo of Aaron_CAaron_C
    Participant
    @aaron_c

Maria – check the back of the Australian Property Investor magazine. All the suburb data is there although I think it’s unreliable because property has so many micro-markets.

Profile photo of kong71286kong71286
    Participant
    @kong71286

Have done a bit a research recently and it seems that the Australian Government is very generous and have implemented many schemes to help make it more affordable for Australians to own their home:

First Home Saver Account

• Government making contribution equal to 17% of your personal contribution up to a maximum amount
    • Earnings from this saving account is taxed at only 15%
    • There is no need to report income from this account in your tax return
    • Other people such as parents can also help contribute funds into this account

First Home Owner Grants:

If you have never bought a property in the past you may be entitled to one or more of the following (1 July 2010, to 30 June 2012):

• First Home Owner Grant $7,000
    • First Home Bonus $13,000 (For newly constructed homes)
    • First Home Owner Regional Bonus $6,500

i.e. Buying a newly constructed home in regional Victoria might mean you could access $26,500 worth of grant

Affordable Homes Program

In South Australia, they have an affordable homes program, to help those that earn less than $72,907 p.a. earn their own home. The houses they offer are around $250,000 and include former public and community housing block and new houses in the latest developments. These houses are available to eligible households for a fixed period of 30-90 days before they are offered for sale on the open market. Have done a brief analysis and it appears that the houses they offer are +20% below the price of many similar properties in the same suburb.

Hope that helps!

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Maria if you are going to buy a one bedroom look at areas such as St Kilda or Elwood they tend to be older style larger in size easy to rent out and easy to sell. The problem with the city you are often buying in large high rise blocks. Personally I like 2 bedroom but period apartments in a one bedroom are ok

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of suzbatssuzbats
    @suzbats

The general vibe in this thread seems to be go for 2 bedroom apartments rather than 1 bedroom. I have been looking at 1 bedroom around Elwood, St Kilda because it is close to the CBD and is seem as a trendy area for renters, singles and couples with no children.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.