All Topics / Value Adding / NOBO heaters

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi guys

Just after some general comments/advice in regards to NOBO heaters.

We’re looking at heating options at the moment. We’re moving into a property which was formally an IP and has no heating – and being Canberra, it can get very chilly during the winter months.

We’re only staying in this property for a couple of years and then turning it back into an IP.

I know ducted heating is more efficient – but the house is only 110m2 so I’m assuming two (possibly 3) of the larger NOBO panel heaters may do the trick.

Are there any NOBO equivalents on the market? I don’t mind forking out for heating but I can’t help to think that you’re paying a premium because of the whole Scandinavian flavor associated with the brand.

Any comments/advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

I guess NOBO isn’t that popular……

How about Rinnai panel heaters? Has anyone had experience with using these within the home?

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of TrevTrev
    @trev

The Nobo heaters are radiant panel heaters; that is, they heat by radiation and the room occupant needs to be near enough to the unit to benefit from its radiant warmth (the same principle as a bar radiator).  They have been in New Zealand for a little while, still catching on in Australia as far as I am aware.  There are other panel heaters available that heat by a combination of radiant heat and convection.  A friend of mine has an Omega Altise, which is a micrathermic radiant panel heater, with radiant/ convective heating.  He is fairly happy with it, the convective aspect will warm the average-sized room fairly well.  It is 2400W and cost him about $220.  There are quite a few micrathermic panel heaters available on the market. 

I thought the Rinnai range was gas, not familiar with an electric panel heater in the Rinnai range. 

A heat pump (refrigerated air conditioning) is recognised as the most cost effective means of heating a house. One or two high wall split-type air conditioners in your IP would attract the tenants and would allow you to increase the rent (and you could enjoy the air conditioning in the mean time). 

Participant
    @jamie-m

Awesome – thanks Trev! I’ll check out the Omega.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

We went through a similiar thing last winter and borrowed a column oil heater to get us through. We have now installed split systems.

Do they take a long time to heat warm up? I much prefer split systems, they are cost effective to run and you have the option of cooling as well

Profile photo of dsouvanndsouvann
    @dsouvann

I have nobo panel heating and the electricity bills are enormous when I use them.  Electricity bill for 3 mths for last winter was $1000 for a 2 bedroom townhouse whereas in summer when I dont use them my bill is about $300.

Profile photo of TrevTrev
    @trev

Well yes any type of radiant or micrathermic radiant panel heater is expensive to run. 
    If a heater is rated at 2.4kW (2400W) and the cost of power is (say) 15c per kW hour then the heater will cost 2.4 x 15c = 36c per hour to run. If it runs all day at the same rate it will cost 24 x 36c = $8.64.  A heat pump (air conditioning) is the most cost effective way of heating a house, after the initial cost outlay. 

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Sorry Jamie cant be much help here.

In Brisbane NOBO's arent that popular.

In fact i lashed out this year and installed heating for all of the family………i bought them all a jumper and told them only to wear it on days if ever fell to below 16 degrees…….

Oh to live in Qld.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @jamie-m
    Qlds007 wrote:

Sorry Jamie cant be much help here.

In Brisbane NOBO's arent that popular.

In fact i lashed out this year and installed heating for all of the family………i bought them all a jumper and told them only to wear it on days if ever fell to below 16 degrees…….

Oh to live in Qld.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Yeah, I didn’t think NOBO would be doing a roaring trade up North.

The new PPOR that I’ve just moved to is in south Canberra….. probably only an hour and a half from the snow :(

It’s going to be a chilly winter.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Particularly the cost breakdown, it puts it into perspective.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

The reverse cycle splits sound good, covering all seasons.
    Tenants won't line up to pay a good rent in a cold area for a poorly heated house.
    You might consider what a month or two of IP vacancy is worth plus tenant turnover plus your own comfort in the meantime.
    Cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of MRWMRW
    @mrw

Hi Jamie,
    the new house we moved into has Nobo heating. I can't tell you how cost efficient or inefficient they are, but I'm pretty impressed with how quickly they heat up a room. They seem a well made bit of kit too. A bit of a rarity now a days. We've only had them on 1 or 2 nights so far although I'm sure that's about to change. Don't you love Canberra winters?!!

Mark

Participant
    @jamie-m

In Canberra they will. We’ve had it tenanted for the last year – when we advertised it we mentioned that it had no heating. We still had 15 groups come through.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @jamie-m
    MRW wrote:
    Hi Jamie,
    the new house we moved into has Nobo heating. I can't tell you how cost efficient or inefficient they are, but I'm pretty impressed with how quickly they heat up a room. They seem a well made bit of kit too. A bit of a rarity now a days. We've only had them on 1 or 2 nights so far although I'm sure that's about to change. Don't you love Canberra winters?!!

Mark

Hi Mark

How’s the new place going? Yep, Canberra winters are great (sarcastic voice).

The last few days have been fantastic though – perfect weather for painting a 3 bedroom house :)

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

hi Jamie,

Have used nobo heaters before – quite good for smaller areas, and although much better than other heaters of this style are certainly expensive to run compared to other types. (I have had 'portable no name brands similar before and you would rather freeze to death than pay the 2nd electricity bill…..)
    I agree that reverse cycle is the pick – just make sure that you only by an inverter type (regardless of what the sales guy/gal/mates say) unless you only use occasionally and want very quick warm up/cooling times.
    Brand? I've got a Daikin, but Fujitsu & Mitsubishi are also very good too.

Cheers,

Participant
    @jamie-m

Thanks for the info. I’ve actually just purchased a Noriot 2400w off the net. I’ll report back once it arrives. Might order a couple of those lazy patch suits as well :)

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @jamie-m

For anyone that comes across this post – I can highly recommend the Noirot heater. The one we purchased is designed to heat up 25m2 but we’re using it to heat up half a house and it’s doing a great job (this is Canberra I’m talking about as well!)

Although, I might get a rude shock when the electricity bill comes in :(

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.