All Topics / Help Needed! / Can’t get insurance for my house because it has a granny flat which shares the same roof

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of rarichardsrarichards
    @rarichards

Hi – I’m in a conundrum and wondering if anyone else has experienced the same and has some advice.

I just bought a house that has a downstairs 2 bdrm granny flat which I’m going to rent out – it is council approved and has its own entrance and house number. Only problem is that none of the insurance companies will provide building insurance because the granny flat shares the same roof and is downstairs from my owner-occupier area upstairs.

The reason I can afford this place is because of the mortgage helper downstairs but I’m not sure what I can do if I can’t get building insurance

any suggestions?

Profile photo of beediebeedie
    Participant
    @beedie

Just had a similar experience obtaining new insurance for our  last 2  houses, both dual living.

After a few calls got feed-up and rang a insurance broker Ive used. He got it done in less then a few hours with CGU off memory.

Insurance companies are going a bit quirky I think at the moment trying to balance there risk portfolios …… must be the natural disasters…… ouchhhh!!!!

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

yep, contact a broker who has access to a wide range of insurers.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.