All Topics / General Property / sourcing tenants – different methods

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of ajayayyarajayayyar
    Participant
    @ajayayyar

Hi all,

What are some different ways to source tenants, apart from listing your property with agents in the area?
    in particular I am lookiong at regional areas on the fringe of housing commission.

your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

regards,
    ajay

Profile photo of ALF1ALF1
    Participant
    @alf1

G'day Ajay.

I have always found the best way to find tenants locally is to advertise in the local newspaper like say The Messenger in Adelaide. They are usually placed in the back of the real estate section of the local paper under 'Homes or Units for Rent/Lease. If you can't interview them, then get a local real estate agent to take applications and check work histories and personal and professional references.
    I hope this has helped?

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

The local newspaper is a great idea, you can also list your property for rent online. I believe RealEstate.com.au requires you to be a real estate agent but other sites like domain.com.au and homehound don't require you to be an agent.

If it is near housing commission don't you think that the cheaper rents might attact some dodgier tenants? In that case it might be a good idea to have a real estate agent managing the tenants in case anything goes wrong. The real estate agent's application form often scares away the dodgier people.

If you rent it out yourself it might be an idea to have a solid application process so you can find out what the people are like before you let them live in your property.

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.