All Topics / Commercial Property / Commercial Property Update – Your Thoughts and Experiences

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of ForeverStudentForeverStudent
    @foreverstudent

I really enjoy the information being shared on this forum and would like hear your thoughts on what's happening with the commercial property market. I would appreciate sharing your experiences as well, mistakes made and how you recovered and rectify it. I've decided to concentrate more on the commercial side of property after reading some materials and it's part of what made me decide to take on a Property Related Uni Program.

My only real experience in commercial property is putting part of my SMSF into a commercial property syndicate returning 8% after tax per annum which is great. I was also getting the positive return on a montly basis. After a couple of years the group of trustees decided to sell up so I sold my stake (with profit) as part of sale process.

I did make an attempt to invest in residential which almost ended up in disaster and only avoided because of a clause in the contract. I trusted someone who I thought knew what he was going because he built a portfolio of 20+ residential properties just a little under 10 years. Well, he lost it all on the GFC (Ouch!) and almost went bankcrupt as there was not enough protection and he was using the equity to build up his business.

But there was only myself to blame for that near disaster and should have trusted my instinct more and should have been more honest with myself. I'm not saying that investing that investing in residential is wrong as there is enough evidence here to prove that it does; I'm simply saying I don't believe in it as much as I believe in commercial property investing.

Anyway, your thoughts on:

– Where is commercial sector in the property cycle/clock at the moment?

– Does residential affect commercial? How and what's the impact?

– What economic drivers affect it?

Feel free to add more if you wish. I look forward to your contributions.

Cheers

Profile photo of commpropcommprop
    Participant
    @commprop

Hi There,

I'm not expert, but what I can share is my experience, what you can get out of it is up to you and don't take it as advice but just a "story or shared experience:

I started off like almost every other commercial investor in the residential side about 10 years ago, was relatively young at 22 years of age. Let me just say that one of the most critical and often overlooked mistake that investors who "graduate" from residential to industrial/warehouse/commercial property is treating it the same.

To summarise my experience:

Commercial:

– You will not witness capital growth rates like residential (at least not currently anyway). A lot of this has to do with the fact you need at least 30% minimum deposit on a commercial property.
    – Waiting periods generally average between 2 months to 9 months based on my experience, you won't find yourself a raft of choices to choose over too like residential.
    – On the positive side, returns are GENERALLY higher – my property is considered a lot return and even it returns 5.5% p/a. On all of my past residential properties, I got nowhere near this return.
    – Beware and I stress beware of dilapidated buildings, unlike a house which can be rebuilt relatively easily and also fix relatively cheaply, commercial properties tend to attract more expensive rates for everything from electrics to plumbing.
    – You'll almost need an agent, commercial leases are much more complex, difficult to deal with and most of all, time consuming.
    – Even if the building is brand spanking new, I almost always feel even the average commercial tenant has more issues than residential properties.
    – Current demand seems (and even in the near future) seems to favour residential (if you are already in the market). Most factories are either offshore or struggling and even so businesses, but living space is restricted and demand is high….no brainer there.
    – Tenant quality is a very very important factor in the sale price of a building! Their leases/options and also ability to pay pretty much affects what the owner is going to experience!
    – Agents get a much higher rate of return and also charge the bull for getting a new tenant (most charge 1 months rent's equivalent) and 5% of rental per annum for their agent fees. This is almost double the ones for residential!
    – Not saying residential is any safer or better, but from the stories I've heard there was a lot more issues with commercial properties. I've also witnessed more winners in residential than commercial!
    – Residential was in my experience a much more enjoyable one – one property I've rented out for 10 years had about 3 different tenants but the repairs were cheap (nothing beyond $1K), maintenance was minimal and also I could manage the property myself, sometimes I was horrified at the thought of not engaging in agents for my CP!

Hope you got something out of that.

Regards,

Willister. 

Profile photo of emptyvesselemptyvessel
    @emptyvessel

Hey there,
     does anyone else have any wisdom to impart on commercial property? I am currently considering an industrial unit in a solid location with 9-10% returns  and am looking for all the information I can get on doing due diligence.

Foreverstudent, did you pickup any other useful tidbits?

EV

Profile photo of ForeverStudentForeverStudent
    @foreverstudent

@EV

To be honest, I've been busy with work and uni and haven't had the chance to look deeper into commercial property at the time being.

I did find however that reading commercial property related books to be helpful.

Some titles are:

The Fundamentals of Listing and Selling Commercial Real Estate – Loren Keim
    Confessions of a Real Estate Entrepreneur – Jim Randell
    Commercial Real Estate Investing – Dolf De Roos

I will be reading these books again almost every end of the semester to see if I will understand it better.

I also hang around in another property forum as they seem to have more people involved in commercial property as the questions I ask has more response.

Profile photo of emptyvesselemptyvessel
    @emptyvessel

Great info. I will PM you for that other forum.

I love reading and will hunt down those books you posted.

Profile photo of ForeverStudentForeverStudent
    @foreverstudent
    emptyvessel wrote:
    Great info. I will PM you for that other forum.

I love reading and will hunt down those books you posted.

I have them all on Kindle for iPad(1). The good thing about Kindle is you can have it on your iPhone and PCs as well (no extra charge) and remembers that last page you read on all of them.

I hope you pick up a lot of stuff when you get them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.