All Topics / Help Needed! / Investing in Blackwater & Emerald

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Profile photo of yannjgsyannjgs
    @yannjgs

Hi There,
    I’m a new investor and was looking at Blackwater & Emerald as the rental returns are very good. It worries me that these towns very much depend on the mining industry and I’m scared that if something goes wrong, they will end up being ghost towns. however I’ve noticed that Blackwater has a Woolworths which is a positive sign as Woolworths would not invest in a town if it wasn’t worth it.

Has anyone outhere got any leaks on the future of these towns like projects that will be happening etc…

Thanks Yann

Profile photo of angelinsydneyangelinsydney
    Participant
    @angelinsydney

Hi Yann,

In researching suburbs to invest in, I always to go:

http://www.domain.com.au/public/apm/default.aspx?mode=research – in the box where it says “search” I will put the postcode in. It gives an overview of demographics, median price, etc.

Trawl the council website. I want to know what the Council leaders, the eldermen/woman, are planning in the short, medium and long-term.

Go through the “for rent” property listing online to find what what an “average” house rents for. Calling the managing agent to get estimates help also but you would definitely want to see the reality.

Catch the train, bus to the suburb. Walk around. Go the local shops (if people are way too depressed looking, stay away). If I feel safe, I know it’s in the short-list.

Talk to business owners.

Check out the school against NAPLAN. Cheltenham is increasing in value every year because family with a daughter wants their girl to go to Cheltenham Girls High School. Families like to give their kids the best education they can get, even if its public school education. We can’t all go private or selective.

Read investment magazines, they’re good source of info.

Hope these practical advice helps.

Angelina

Profile photo of yannjgsyannjgs
    @yannjgs

Thanks Angelina for the very good advice .
    You read a couple of tips in magazines but sometimes you learn more stuff from people's experience like yours.

Cheers Yann

Profile photo of JT7JT7
    @jt7
    ydr wrote:
    Hi There,
    I’m a new investor and was looking at Blackwater & Emerald as the rental returns are very good. It worries me that these towns very much depend on the mining industry and I’m scared that if something goes wrong, they will end up being ghost towns. however I’ve noticed that Blackwater has a Woolworths which is a positive sign as Woolworths would not invest in a town if it wasn’t worth it.

Has anyone outhere got any leaks on the future of these towns like projects that will be happening etc…

Thanks Yann

Hi Yann,

I have a property in Emerald. I’m very bullish on the Bowen Basin for a number of reasons however you are correct mining is a huge part of it. The projections of growth for this industry are immense of the back of the development of immerging economies such as China and India. If you immerse yourself in research into the fundamentals of this I’m sure you will appreciate the huge scale of what is about to occur.

An excellent source of information is The Australian Financial Review. When I talk about the underlying fundamentals I mean such things as the development of a middle class society in China and India demanding things that we take for granted. New housing, new cars, new shopping centres and the list goes on…and guess what? It all requires coal! Hard coking coal to make steel and thermal coal to create the power to make the steel! Where is the worlds premier source of coking coal? The Bowen Basin. And now thermal coal is going to be mined out in the Galilee Basin 160km west of Emerald in some of the biggest mining developments Australia has ever seen!

But that’s not all…soft commodities are now booming. Cotton, wheat, wool. Emerald farms both Cotton and wheat!

Understand the underlying fundamentals to an investment and with it brings confidence in your decisions.

JT

Profile photo of shoooshooshoooshoo
    @shoooshoo

Nice one Jack! :)

Profile photo of minichickminichick
    Participant
    @minichick

Blackwater Has always had a woolworths before the boom in the busts etc.

However there is no maccas,bunnings etc

if your going to take a punt on blackwater go for newer housing with a good long company lease

Profile photo of KeyStrategiesKeyStrategies
    @keystrategies
    ydr wrote:
    Hi There, I'm a new investor and was looking at Blackwater & Emerald as the rental returns are very good. It worries me that these towns very much depend on the mining industry and I'm scared that if something goes wrong, they will end up being ghost towns. however I've noticed that Blackwater has a Woolworths which is a positive sign as Woolworths would not invest in a town if it wasn't worth it. Has anyone out there got any leaks on the future of these towns like projects that will be happening etc… Thanks Yann

I think the answer to your question is in the following 2 threads

https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forums/property-investing/help-needed/4323195 and

https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forums/property-investing/help-needed/4337447

cheers

Which covers

@shoooshoo
    ydr wrote:
    Hi There,

Thanks Yann

hi Yann, where has your research lead you so far?

Profile photo of coalstarcoalstar
    Participant
    @coalstar
    Profile photo of hbbehrendorffhbbehrendorff
    @hbbehrendorff

I live in Emerald and I work in blackwater sometimes and know the area well.

I know people who live in blackwater that have been trying to sell there house for years, it seems to be a place that is a little difficult to liquidate.

You should generally find that the returns will be better in blackwater then they are in emerald, Though IMO I would not invest in blackwater because its to risky.

Have you been to blackwater ? its a hole, no one would live there for the atmosphere, there are few shops, the pubs are drives, the pizza place makes some of the worst pizza in australia and its just a red rocked dessert dive with crappy old houses.

I know the guy who owns one of the service stations there and he is closing it because he has not been able to get any employees for over 5 years !!!

Basically everyone in the town works in the mines or in some way that directly gives services to the mine.

Now, you don't need the mine to close, you just need coal demand to soften or the price to fall a bit and jobs will be lost and vacancy's will over night be very high.

I know many people personally who work in the mines and they all would prefer to live in Emerald, even though there is a 76km drive.

Emerald is a regional hub and has more then just mining going for it, There is massive industry in emerald, agriculture and the town is much much nicer, There is a huge big shopping centre being built here right now that will have stores such as harvey norman a new big wollies, ect

The newly renovated Irish pub is really nice too, they spent 3.8mill on the renno and imo its one of the best pub/clubs in qld, it rivals places down at the coast.

Lake Maraboon is the second largest lake in Qld, apparently the largest man made lake in australia and bigger then sydney harbour

Profile photo of Josh AthertonJosh Atherton
    @josh-atherton

Definitely go Emerald, a lot more diversity in its economy and set in a good position when the Alpha mine come online in the next few years.

hbbehrendorff said it all I think, as an ex-local of Emerald, I agree here.

@shoooshoo

thanks hbbehrendorff for the info

Profile photo of JaSin66JaSin66
    @jasin66
    hbbehrendorff wrote:

I know people who live in blackwater that have been trying to sell there house for years, it seems to be a place that is a little difficult to liquidate.

You should generally find that the returns will be better in blackwater then they are in emerald, Though IMO I would not invest in blackwater because its to risky.

Have you been to blackwater ? its a hole, no one would live there for the atmosphere, there are few shops, the pubs are drives, the pizza place makes some of the worst pizza in australia and its just a red rocked dessert dive with crappy old houses.

I know the guy who owns one of the service stations there and he is closing it because he has not been able to get any employees for over 5 years !!!

Basically everyone in the town works in the mines or in some way that directly gives services to the mine.

Now, you don't need the mine to close, you just need coal demand to soften or the price to fall a bit and jobs will be lost and vacancy's will over night be very high.

I know many people personally who work in the mines and they all would prefer to live in Emerald, even though there is a 76km drive.

Emerald is a regional hub and has more then just mining going for it, There is massive industry in emerald, agriculture and the town is much much nicer, There is a huge big shopping centre being built here right now that will have stores such as harvey norman a new big wollies, ect

The newly renovated Irish pub is really nice too, they spent 3.8mill on the renno and imo its one of the best pub/clubs in qld, it rivals places down at the coast.

Lake Maraboon is the second largest lake in Qld, apparently the largest man made lake in australia and bigger then sydney harbour

As a resident of Blackwater for 43years I will comment too.
    There are houses in Blackwater that have been for sale for some time, there usually run down and in need of a spruce up to say the least, the nice houses sell ok, most of these houses are 40 years old to start with. The question was one of Investing and not lifestyle, as an investment there are houses at 8% plus gross returns (I have today placed a contract on 2 properties, 1st returns 10.1% gross 2nd 10.4% gross with rent reviews due at end of lease in December with rent increases easily obtainable. Blackwater is… dare I say a hole… but if your living there then it’s what you make of it, granted we have lost a lot over the years, small business, drive-in, skate rink, bmx track, velodrome, bowling alley etc etc. But the returns are still here and so will the mines for the next 50+ years. The pubs can do with a make over, the old xxxx is in the process now with big money being spent, the Workers club has been made over too,… I think Mamma Rosa’s pizza is one of the best pizzas going, would prefer it over EagleBoys, the pool has had major money spent on it, we have Subway in the Coal Centre now which has a movie theater inside, Macca’s is being built now behind Red Rooster, a car-wash was added a few years ago too,many Townhouses are being built, Currugh Mine is building townhouses too, land is scarce, rentals are nil and demand is astronomical, there is a swing towards family’s renting out rooms (i do this) for $200-$350 a week, some investors have 3-4 bedroom houses rented in this fashion eg $250 a room times 3 bedrooms on a $300-$400,000 property, mining employees get rent subsidized by their employer because these rents are in the tune of $800-$1200 a week, some beds are hot-seated so to speak to accommodate the demand for rentals, eg 1 bed shared between 2 blokes, 1 doing day-shift the other doing night-shifts. The guy whose selling his servo is commonly known around town as arrogant & rude & staff are treated poorly (this is just what I hear, I have no dramas with him or his wife). I agree with you your points on Emerald, it’s a lovely place, but my money is on Blackwater for returns on investment, Dysart & Moranbah have the big returns but high prices too.

Profile photo of EngeloRumoraEngeloRumora
    Participant
    @engelorumora

Around 1 year ago I spent 5 days in Blackwater speaking with locals and agents. Who ever I spoke with from the postman to the miners everyone said there is a lot of coal there and has been for the past 30 years. The miners said they are sleeping in tents because of no available accomodation wich is a good sign for rentals. 1 year ago there was quite a few houses under 300k, now there is none. The rental yield is fantastic with long mining leases in place. I agree with Emerald being more diverse and that Blackwater is very dependant on the coal but in saying that median house prices in Blackwater 10 years ago were 50k. Look at Moranbah and Dysart those towns are still going strong. I like Blackwater but I agree it would be a risky investment.

EngeloRumora | Ohio Cashflow
    http://ohiocashflow.com/
    Email Me | Phone Me

F@#$ THE REST WORK WITH OHIO CASHFLOW TO INVEST

Participant
    @coalstar

ive said it before and i’ll say it again, for me blackwater will be the next moranbah in terms of rental prices becoming comparable. blackwater is 3 years behin, If the washpool coal project goes ahead ealry next year i reckon 3 bed highset homes will get around $1000 a week in rent and those properties will be selling around 400-450K. just a prediction though!!

spoke to my managing agent yesterday and she has over 10 corporate companies waiting for accomodation. one mob asked for 15 properties in four months time!

Participant
    @coalstar
    hbbehrendorff wrote:

who cares how pretty the lake looks, there are seven mines surrounding the town with 2 possibly being built next year. most coal around blackwater is mettalurgical and contracts are in place for around $250-$300 a tonne. now if the price drops to say $120 a tonne its still feasible to mine as it costs around $90 a tonne to extract. id be happy with a 25% return let alone 200%

@shoooshoo

hmmm…. i’m starting to consider Blackwater again, will have to be something new, dont want the headache, and since i’m from melbourne, will probably never see the property. I believe Coalstar is right, if the yields are strong, and continue to be strong, so the price will follow. what are you guys thoughts on these units:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-qld-blackwater-107180361

also do you have to worry about the town getting flooded?

Profile photo of hbbehrendorffhbbehrendorff
    @hbbehrendorff

I worked on these units for over a month.

Barry is building 4 more on the front part of the block.

How much does he want ?

I know they roughly cost him 250k each to build.

@shoooshoo

not sure i think 500k

@shoooshoo

what was the price of the land?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.