All Topics / Value Adding / Good tradies

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)
  • Profile photo of CattabyCattaby
    Participant
    @cattaby

It seems to me that a lot of the advice people ask for in this forum is 'how much will X' cost (me included!), with the answer being 'talk to a tradie'.

So… does anyone have any tradies, inspectors, agents, etc that they'd like to recommend based on personal service? Or any that should be warned against? It would be ace to develop an online resource for each major city.

Anyone met a good tradie lately?

Profile photo of RenoTeamRenoTeam
    @renoteam

We deal with great tradies on a daily basis :) Good idea to about the online service:) we often spotlight our tradies on our facebook page and they answer questions from our fans :) At our Reno Excursion next month our tradies will be chatting with attendees :) Check us out if you like.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Cattaby wrote:
    It seems to me that a lot of the advice people ask for in this forum is 'how much will X' cost (me included!), with the answer being 'talk to a tradie'.

So… does anyone have any tradies, inspectors, agents, etc that they'd like to recommend based on personal service? Or any that should be warned against? It would be ace to develop an online resource for each major city.

Anyone met a good tradie lately?

Excellent idea – I’m surprised that no one has developed it yet.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of CattabyCattaby
    Participant
    @cattaby

Haha, and yet no one is posting anything yet! I guess I'll start.

I recently purchase a property in Melbourne and needed a quick Buliding + Pest inspection done. Wasn't sure who to go to, but reading up on other forums and the like, decided to go with Aussie Spect (http://www.aussiespect.com.au/)

They managed to look over the property within 2 days of me contacting them and gave me a HUGE report back. While there were some areas they couldn't get to (e.g. floor was too low to get under properly, and couldn't move the seller's junk in the roof space/garage), I was really pleased with the report I got back – it was easy to read and had photos of all the areas. You can see a sample of the reports they do on their website (http://www.aussiespect.com.au/gallery.html – a sample of each report is on the right hand side).

The cheapest quote I got for a combined Building + Pest inspection was $550, and I paid $660 for Aussie Spect. I think it was worth the extra $110 for the peace of mind that I would be getting a good report back.

In other news, I'm going to be needing a good/cheap plumber coming end of July. Anyone have anyone they can recommend around the Melbourne/Pascoe Vale area? I want to convert my laundry into a 2nd bathroom/laundry…

Profile photo of KatiedeeKatiedee
    @katiedee

Hey Cattaby, I can recommend my husband    I know, I'm biased, but hear me out!

He is 27, a qualified and experienced plumber who is just starting out on his own now.  We live in Brunswick so the Pascoe Vale area is right nearby.  At his old job people would often ring up his boss and compliment his service.

He has just passed his licensing exams and is organising insurance this week.

Because he is starting out he isn't charging big bucks!!

If anyone else is interested, ask me for his number.  He'd love to do maintenance on investment properties but getting on the real estate lists can be game of who you know, not how good your service is. 

No call out charge if the property is within a 6km radius of Brunswick.

Hopefully his business takes off so we can buy an investment property one day ourselves

Profile photo of angelinsydneyangelinsydney
    Participant
    @angelinsydney

Good on ya, katiedee.

Hopefully you get some business.

Angel

Participant
    @cattaby

Katidee, hopefully your husband will still be available end July! I'll msg you closer to the date when I actually have access to the property for a quote. Cheers.

Profile photo of KatiedeeKatiedee
    @katiedee

Cheers. His business is called Go Go Gas and Plumbing and he is available on 0457 980 385.

Profile photo of commpropcommprop
    Participant
    @commprop

By far plumbers are the most difficult to find! I have a trusted plumber, isn't cheaper than the competition but I would say does a decent job, doesn't overcharge and actual charges reflect quotes. Best of all, his jobs have been pretty good.

The only downside is that as he lives pretty far, sometimes he doesn't show up on time.

PM me if need be for his contact details.

Participant
    @jamie-m
    Katiedee wrote:
    Cheers. His business is called Go Go Gas and Plumbing and he is available on 0457 980 385.

Nice name – I like it :)

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @cattaby

Also looking for a surveyor in the Melbourne region (who can service the northern suburbs i.e. Pascoe Vale) who can draw up a depreciation report. Anyone know of anyone, and general costs?

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

I have used Deppro before, I am pretty sure they have offices in every major city. From memory their depreciation schedules cost about $500 to get done. Would like to hear if there are better organisations out there (esp. in Sydney).

Cheers,
    Luke

Participant
    @jamie-m

I’ve used corpred for all my schedules. I usually opt for the silver package whereby you provide the IPs details (including pics) and they prepare the schedule. The price is very reasonable as well – just over $200 each.

I’ve been happy with them so far.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of yoyo galaxyyoyo galaxy
    @yoyo-galaxy

Hi Cattaby,

Great idea to post this topic, I am also currently looking for tradies for my first reno project. Does anyone know some good tradies work in Sydney? We will need tiler, painter, plumber, kitchen installer(i am not even sure if this is the right name for them, bascially need someone who can make and install kitchen cabinetry, install kitchen wall tiles and change the kitchen tap from the wall to sink) and a handyman to change lights.
    We are pretty tight on the budget, so don't mind having someone just starting up but fully qualified and experienced.

We'll settle in 2 weeks, so looking to get some quotes now, if you have any recommendations, please let me know!

Thanks a lot in advance!

btw, do I need a plumber to install the vanity and mirror in the bathroom? currently the vanity is 3 holes, we'll change it to 1 hole.

Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Danviv

You could possibly save some dollars by refacing the kitchen (instead of replacing). That’s only if the carcass (such a disturbing word) is in good shape.

Some new doors and handles can make a huge difference (at a fraction of the cost).

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

@yoyo-galaxy

Thanks Jamie, yes we'll need to check the condition of the carcass to decide if resurfacing will work. Has anyone used Granite Transformation? Can they change the layout of the kitchen, tile the splashback tiles and floor tiles? Anyone know how's their price different from getting a brand new kitchen?

Participant
    @jamie-m

No worries. I haven’t used them but anything to do with non DIY kitchens seems to cost a packet!

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

@yoyo-galaxy

Hello there, any good tradies wanna recommend themselves? I thought we have many tradies on this website?
    Anyone have done reno in Sydney got tradies to recommend?

It's a bit disappointing that haven't got any reply except from Jamie…….

Participant
    @jamie-m

I’ll give my brother in law a plug. He owns a custom flat pack kitchen business in Canberra.

He’s fitted two kitchens in two of my IPs. He’s prices are very reasonable, the quality is great and you have the option of installing yourself (everything comes with instructions) or he’ll install for you.

The business is based in Canberra, his name is Mike – http://www.customflatpack.com.au/

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of ladyhawkladyhawk
    @ladyhawk
    Cattaby wrote:
    Also looking for a surveyor in the Melbourne region (who can service the northern suburbs i.e. Pascoe Vale) who can draw up a depreciation report. Anyone know of anyone, and general costs?

the goodmen surveyors (http://www.thegoodmen.com.au/) have got a great reputation…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.