All Topics / Help Needed! / Mining town in QLD or WA

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of sherry1sherry1
    @sherry1

Hi

I am new here and really need some kind help to invest in mining towns in QLD or WA. Which town would have good rental return and less risk like flood?

Any recommendations?
    Also what due diligence is needed as I live in Melbourne, any one has experience that bought property in mining town without sighting it?

Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Wendy

Profile photo of N@thanN@than
    Participant
    @n-than

Hi Sherry1,

I live in Mt Isa in Queensland and you can get properties with about 8-9% yeild here. The market here seems pretty flat at the moment which is good for buyers getting a discount on the asking price. I think things will pick up soon though. Mind you my opinion would be biased as I have 2 properties here as well as working in the town.

However there are a number positive things happening in the area aswell.
    The Woolworths in town is currently undergoing a multi-million dollar upgrade which is meant to make it one of the best in Queensland. According to the paper anyway.
    The Airport has just undergone a major upgrade.
    A BCF recently opened in town.
    The 'Copper String Project' is happening which will join Mt Isa to Townsvilles main Power Grid which opens up a world of different opportunities.
    Companies like this have obviously done there research and have high hopes for the area.
    There are also a number of massive upgrades happening within the mine which can only mean good things for the area.
      Obviously do your due dilligance first and understand that Mining towns also come with an increased risk.

As for buying sight unseen I have no experience in that sorry.

Nathan

Profile photo of FullyFully
    @fully

Wendy

I've been looking a lot at mining towns myself but being a cautious person by nature i'm a little hesitant.

You'll find mining towns will give very good rental returns usually providing positive cash flow on minimal outlay.

I've lived in country WA for last 5 years and can offer you my experiences and thoughts

1. You really need to know the life of the local mines and if any new mines are on the horizon- Places like Kalgoorlie, Port Hedland are well established and will be around for many a year to come, even if one mine closes down it wont effect the market much.
    2. Even with the above i'd still do research into the area and mines to make sure your confident it's not going to fall over- Have a look at Ravensthorpe, people lost a lot from that and was considered fail safe
    3. The cost of repairs. I live in a remote place now and if you need a tradesman the callout fee is usually starting at $1500. Even when I lived in Kalgoorlie tradesman where twice as much as what I was paying in Perth… I feel this is one of the really big issue's and as you said without looking at the place who knows how good the property is. Even in small mining towns whose going to do the building report? Maybe the sellers best mate Johnno next door. Can you trust them and if you need an independent report from someone out of town how much will that cost? Last thing you want is those profits being eroded by tradesman.

I'm really interested in buying into a Mining town as I have many friends making a fortune in Karratha and know how good it can be. The above three things are what I'm mainly taking into account and I'm sure there will be other things people can add.

Just on WA i'd say your main problem would be cyclones in the northern mining towns but you'll find most houses seem to be built to handle them. The kimberly floods fairly often and although this year is one of the worst on record it doesn't effect any of the area's you have probably looked at. Personally when looking in WA natural disasters are a minor concern.

Good luck,

Matt

@fully

Nathan,

I've been looking at mining towns but haven't looked into Mount Isa until now and must admit it does look fairly solid. Biggest copper mine in the country, as you said many big retail company's having franchises there and has expected growth of 20,000 over next 10 to 20 years!!

As I said above I've lived in mining towns last 5 years and know there's certain places I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. Being only 188km's from the NT border can you give advice as to where to stear clear off?? Also if you don't mind answering what type of properties you own and any cost to be mindful of?

Cheers,

Matt

Participant
    @n-than

Hi Matt,

Yes the amount of money being spent here I dont think it is at risk of closing shop anytime soon.
    As for the 3 things you mentioned above:

1. The Mine here is massive both above and underground (It is Australia's deepest mine) and seems to have great future potential – Google 'enterprise mine'

2. Like you said there are alot of big franchises here and alot of upgrades happening so it does seem quite stable however nothing is certain obviously.

3. There are a lot of local contractors and businesses in town so there is plenty of competition with pricing. I dont see the cost of repairs out here to be too bad but I am probably not the best person to ask… As before moving out here I was living at home with my parents so I wouldn't know otherwise.

The biggest expense with an IP out here would probably be the management fees. I currently pay 10% plus GST so ends up as 11% which is quite high but I am happy with them and can't get it much cheaper out here.

The main suburb in Mt Isa to avoid would be Pioneer. It is mostly housing commision houses and is a pretty rough area. Nicer suburbs are Soldiers Hill and Healy. The majority of houses in Mt Isa are quite old and alot have seem to be done up as quick reno's. Healy heights is a new suburb that has all executive style houses but you pay a premium for them as well.

As for my properties we bought our PPOR in April last year for $324 000. It is an average 3 bedroom fibro house (very common out here). We then bought our IP October last year which is a 2 bedroom unit in a block of 3 for $200 000 and it is currently rented out for 350/week. The first lease on it ended in Feburary and it was free for one day only because I told them I wanted to go through it and have a look myself before anyone else moved in.

Hope this is of some help.

Nathan

@fully

Nathan,

Yes very helpful, will do some research and see how the numbers stack up.

Thanks

Participant
    @n-than

No worries.

Let me know how you go and if you you want me to do a drive by or anything I would be happy to help,

Cheers,

Nathan 

Profile photo of TCLinvestmentsTCLinvestments
    Participant
    @tclinvestments

I just did a search on Mt Isa
    it only returned 5 properties!!!
    What the????? 

Profile photo of kelleyhutchokelleyhutcho
    @kelleyhutcho

Hi wendy, In 2006 we bought a place sight unseen in Moura, Qld. At the time we bought and for the first 2 years we were getting enough rent to cover the mortgage and tenants were aplenty. We hit a rough patch in 2008 and had no tenant for quite some time. We've actually been up there a few times now, painting and tiding the place up as it costs a lot for anyone to do any work on a house in a mining town. We bought the nicest house we could afford and have found ours rents before other more basic homes so that has been an advantage. There are several big projects in the pipeline out there, if you haev a look at the Queensland government infrastructure website. http://www.dlgp.qld.gov.au/component/option,com_mtree/task,search/Itemid,105/searchword,moura/
    The other good thing is that the town is sited quite high and did not flood at all during the floods, in fact alot of Theodore resisents got evacuated to there. We are happy with our place and are now just sitting on it for a few years waiting for prices to increase again.  Its a nice little town and houses are not overpriced yet. We live in North Qld and know a lot of people working in Mines up that way and it will only increase in the future. Good luck. Do your research before doing anything.
    Kelley

Profile photo of jasonfonsecajasonfonseca
    @jasonfonseca

Hi Sherry1

Good question!

If I was going to invest in mining towns, I would look for cash flow positive properties with the view of making medium capital gains over a shorter than average investment horizon. 

I like to analyse a property based on the following two criterias:
    1. Financial (in view of financials / cash flow, capital gain potential, affordability etc.) – using a property investment calculator
    2. Macro view (location, potential changes in industry that may impact the property value, changes in infrastructure, risk of natural disasters etc.) 

From a macro view perspective, I would argue that investing in mining towns are more risky than average property investments. You're effectively betting on the mining boom – which is cyclical and dependent on commodity prices and macro economic environment. If there's another financial crisis, the first property markets to be hit will be the mining towns. Furthermore, once the mine life end, you're also at risk of the mining town turning into a ghost town. (not all – but some may)

Now it can be argued that this won't happen anytime soon, which I would agree with for many mining towns.  In view of that, I would approach mining towns with a medium term investment period (buy and sell after 5 years rather than hold and use the equity to back further investments). I would use the positive cash flow of the property to pay down the mortgage as much as possible with the aim of selling the property and making moderate capital gains (vs capital city investments) in the medium term.

I would approach with great caution, do the due diligence and make sure that it's absolutely positively geared! Use free property investment calculators to help you run the numbers and make sure you haven't missed anything.

Hope this provides you with some food for thought.  Good luck and let me know if you need a hand,
    Jase

Participant
    @n-than

TLC Investments,

I just typed 'Mt Isa' in realestate.com.au and it came up with 379 results. Alternatively you could search the post code '4825'.
    Not sure where you were looking?

Cheers,

Nathan

Profile photo of sherry1sherry1
    @sherry1

Hi Nathan/Matt/Kelley/Jase

Thank you very much for all your kind advice and suggestions. They are really helpful.

I have done and am still doing some research for these mining towns. I was thinking of Dysart and Moranbah but will do some research on other towns mentioned here. I noticed that some properties are highset and some are lowset. Which one would be better? I talked the agent and they said they can help me find properties with two years company lease.

We have section 32 here in Melbourne, so you will have clear idea of how much expenses are like council rate, water rates, rental income and insurance etc. But it seems not the same in QLD. What document should I request (or what other expenses should consider) for due diligence?

Here the management fee is 7 or 8%, is it normal for 10% +GST in QLD?

Thanks again for your great input.

Kind Regards

Wendy

Participant
    @n-than

Hi Wendy,

In regards to high-set and low-set houses I am happy to be corrected but I would say the main difference would be your target market. People in there older years would probably steer clear of houses where they have to constantly walk up and down stairs.

As for the 10% management fee that is definitely not the case everywhere in Queensland and I think the average would be about 7-8% here as well. It is only because it is a Mining town the that Mt Isa has a 10% fee as most people here are on great money and getting a good yield.

Nathan

Profile photo of Property Investor 1Property Investor 1
    @property-investor-1

Hi Sherry,

I would recommend Dysart. My property out there is currently yielding at a staggering 14%, and the property has increased in value by $100,000 in the past year.

I personally continuing to invest in Dysart (I have another purchase in the pipeline now) as it has all the drivers to make for a great property investment for the following reasons:

1. Demand significantly outstrips supply (the perfect equation).
    2. Vacancy rate is 0.2% (proof of the above statement).
    3. Yields are currently 14% (normal for Dysart is 9-10%) – and capital gain always follows yields, so prices will rapidly rise (and they are!).
    4. New mining investment in area (over $60 billion) that will last over 20 years. This means more workers, and continued demand.
    5. Dysart is a service centre, so is not reliant on only one mine (it has mines to the north, south and west), which means it is not as prone failure due to a mining disaster (but it is prone to a failure of the mining sector).
    6. Its highly cash flow positive. A property can be now be bought for $500k (last year for $400k), and rent for $1200-1400/wk (last year $600-900/wk), meaning you are cashflow positive up to $600/wk. This assists you to reinvest and grow your portfolio quickly. Buy four houses, and you have a passive income of $2400/wk (that has to be good investing…).

I consider Dysart to be the best investment in Australia right now, but it wont be in 12-18 months time, as the prices will have caught up, and yields will be back to 9-10%, and capital gains will start to diminish. Then it will be time to find the next big thing.

Use mining towns as a means by which to turbo charge your portfolio. Then branch out into other areas, and property types. Just remember, dont put all your eggs in the one basket…Just put them into the Dysart basket right now (if you can get a place – you will have to join the queue!).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.