All Topics / General Property / New Investor – Glastone

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of PommyianPommyian
    @pommyian

Hello everyone, I’m a new investor and want to start off on the right foot.

I’ve heard alot about the industrial boom in Gladstone and it makes sense that housing and rentals will also follow. Can anyone give me any advice on a gladstone investment? or have I allready missed the boat?

Also what type of house would make the best investment, location, size, cost etc??

Thanks in advance

Pommy Ian

Profile photo of angelinsydneyangelinsydney
    Participant
    @angelinsydney

Hi Pommy Ian,

There’s no such thing as “missed a boat.” There are many boats leaving the piers everyday, and many more loading.

Research, research, research.

Read as many threads in this forum as you can. chances are these questions have been answered in one form or another” “Also what type of house would make the best investment, location, size, cost etc?”

I don’t anyone can give you advice on specific suburbs, only you know best. Hopefully, you are doing your research and your math.

Angel

mattnz
    Participant
    @mattnz

Gladstone market hasn’t moved much in the past 3 years. There are plenty of properties available to choose from and huge rental demand already, with thousands of employees still to arrive. Hard to go wrong with $40 billion + being invested in a town of 40,000 people. It is my number one pick in Australia.

Profile photo of GiumelliGroupGiumelliGroup
    @giumelligroup

Pommy Ian,

There is limited stock available in Gladdy, when it comes on it is snapped up very quickly as there are quite a few people whom are similarly minded as you. We have some stock up there available now ranging from 300k – 600k. How much did you want to spend?

Feel free to give me a call or drop me an email for further info.

mattnz
    Participant
    @mattnz

http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/story/2011/04/06/gladstone-homes-hottest-country/

GLADSTONE has been nominated as the hottest property market in the country by real estate agents, property developers, investors and owners.

The National Australia Bank (NAB) survey asked respondents to nominate three ‘hot spots’ where they expect the fastest growth in home prices.

Gladstone was most nominated the hottest place in Australia, due to gas-related projects, while Clayfield, Mackay and Townsville were also nominated in Queensland.

The March survey showed an expected average increase of 3.5 per cent in residential rents over the coming 12 months in Queensland with most expecting the strongest growth in Western Australia, NSW and the ACT.

The weakest area of growth is expected to be South Australia and the Northern Territory with respondents expecting a 0.2 per cent decline in home prices over the next year.

mattnz
    Participant
    @mattnz

There are now only 66 rental properties available in Gladstone on realestate.com.au. This compares with just a few months ago when there were over 200 available.

Even just 2 days ago, there were 78 rentals available.

We just reached a tipping point, that I see leading to rapidly rising rents in a short space of time. My property has already increased from $360 pw to $450 pw, in the past 8 months and should escalate every rental review for a while.

Very soon, properties that are highly priced like this one http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-qld-gladstone-404035296 will be all that is left, leaving everyone the chance to increase rents rapidly due to huge competition.

The very few rentals compares with the large number of jobs available on seek.com.au for Gladstone at 1,186!! Imagine the bidding wars that are about to start to get a house to live in with all of the $100k+ workers arriving.

Profile photo of brainsterbrainster
    Participant
    @brainster
    Profile photo of QLDpropertyinvestorQLDpropertyinvestor
    @qldpropertyinvestor

Hey Guys,
    I've been living and investing in Gladstone for a little while now,
    If anyone is passing through and would like to meet up for a chat
    shoot me an email

Profile photo of ksherwellksherwell
    @ksherwell

Havent seen much movement in Gladstone

Profile photo of Josh AthertonJosh Atherton
    @josh-atherton

Pommy Ian,

it depends how long you want to keep this property. I am not making any predictions don’t get me wrong here. I would do your research into the construction workforce and the long term workforce of the projects that are / being planned to happen.

What i mean by this is to ensure that over the next 5 years the projects may employ 5000 people for instance (I am making numbers up for samples sake here) however when all of the infrastructure is in place this workforce can quite often be reduced by 30-50% with many mining projects. To be a good investor in mining areas it is very important to do your due diligence more than ever. The mining industry is strong and will be for many years to come (quite possible the rest of my life anyway, im 25) so its not too risky, its just a matter of picking the best spots for growth and rental returns.

I have 15 investment properties all in central QLD and have made in the millions within 5 years, so my advice, do your due-diligence, look at EVERY option, not just what the banks and magazines look at and go with your head and what your’e comfortable with. The MOST important thing to do when investing in central QLD is to get a team around you who know what they are doing in the area when it comes to investing in property. I have seen hundreds of people get screwed over in these regions as developer/builders/agents saw them coming.

Let me know if you want to pick my brain at all, Best of luck!

Cheers,

Josh

[email protected]

Profile photo of brainsterbrainster
    Participant
    @brainster

Try a work force of 4000 people per LNG plant for 5 years, thats 12000-16000 people, never mind all the other Billion dollar investments say another 2000 people (minimum) add retail, hospital, police, port, the list goes on, operational people will be at least 1000 people per LNG facility as you have to include the operational maintenance contracts they hand out. Then they all want to expand there gas plants with additional trains so the contruction workforce might drop to 10000 for an additional 5 years. those are staggering numbers. Karratha only has 1 LNG train being built with 4000 people, never mind 3-4 simultaneously and rents are around $2000pw and 5 year old 4 x 2 will set you bank $1 mil plus. Gladstone is bigger though so they will probably be able to absorb it a little better, but not by much.

Profile photo of EleaElea
    @elea

Hi Pommyian,

Angelinsydney was right. You need a good resources and try to search for more information. It is important that you have knowledge before you make a decision.

All the best,

Elea

Profile photo of MikeLewisMikeLewis
    @mikelewis

It depends how long you want to keep this property. I am not making any predictions don't get me wrong here. I would do your research into the construction workforce and the long term workforce of the projects that are / being planned to happen. Thanks for sharing..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.