All Topics / Value Adding / Reno help advice- Removing tiles off timber floor

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of ppol2630ppol2630
    @ppol2630

Hi all,

I am renovating my property which is approx 40yrs old. Floors are tiled, and these tiles are glued straight onto timber subfloor (the glue looks like a sandy-cement type material).

i need to remove the tiles (there's 3 different types of tile within a 20m2 area!), and i want to polish the timber floors underneath.

anyone done this before, or know of anyone who can help provide suggestions on the best way to get this done?

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Is the floor particleboard, strip flooring or fibro?

Profile photo of ppol2630ppol2630
    @ppol2630

it's actual timber planks- proper timber floor underneath.

the tiles were glued straight on to the timber.

Profile photo of find_another_slavefind_another_slave
    Participant
    @find_another_slave

We had slate tiles glued on our timber floors. Solution for us was to use a shovel to get under the tiles, and lever them up. Don't be afraid to get into it. They've since been sanded and polished and I defy ANYONE  to tell there were tiles glued there before. Goggles are a must of course…

Profile photo of ppol2630ppol2630
    @ppol2630

Yeh, getting the tiles off is no issue- i forgot to mention in my original post that my issue is getting the glue off…

Find_another_slave, did you just scrape the glue straight off yourself, and then hire someone to sand and polish? … Or did they scrape the glue off for you as well?

Profile photo of find_another_slavefind_another_slave
    Participant
    @find_another_slave

Our glue was more sticky – we kind of scraped off as much as we could – and the sanders did the rest – perhaps a good idea to get someone out to quote you for sanding, and let you know what prep you need to do. Fortunately for us, the area in question was quite small.

Profile photo of OceanArchitecturalOceanArchitectural
    @oceanarchitectural

If you use a shovel or something and try to pry them off, and your glue is very strong (or wood weak. or both) you're risking tearing bits of the wood off along the grain. ive never done it myself, but i would keep that in mind and do a test patch before going in commando style.

My first thought was jackhammer with one of those (newish) chisels on them designed not to dig into concrete – theyre kinked at the head, so that the part of the chisel touching the concrete/wood/whatever is flat, and doesnt bite into the material, while the sharp bit of the chisel pries under the tile. Think of a crowbar/prybar, but as a jackhammer bit

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.