All Topics / Opinionated! / Does saving work for you?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Profile photo of JamesSampsonJamesSampson
    @jamessampson

Just posting a blog post from, property toolbox that i found interesting.

When I was growing up, I was taught at a very young age that saving money is very important. I even had a Commonwealth Bank Dolomite account where I could see my savings increase over a number of years. It was 1989 and I clearly remember the day my Dolomite account reached $10, wow what a milestone. I could buy 2 packet of chips, two chocolate bars and 100 packets of Wizz-Fizz. Saving really does work!

Saving money was just one lesson I was taught while growing up. I’m sure you were taught similar things such as:

• Do good at school.
    • Don’t get into debt.
    • Work hard in your job.
    • Pay of your home as soon as you can.
    • Save, Save, Save

When I finally left high school and secondary education to join the work force I followed much of this advice for the first 5 years. And surprise surprise I had little or no savings, no assets, a personal car loan and living from week to week. I wasn’t struggling, but I was  going nowhere fast.

I followed the right steps, I graduated high school, I completed my qualification in IT and education, I got a good job worked hard and tried to pay off my personal debt as soon as I could. So why wasn’t I getting ahead?

You can read the rest here: http://propertytoolbox.com.au/property-update/?p=638 

I must say i am a hopeless saver. I think the most  i have ever saved in a bank account is maybe 4k. Funny to think the amount i debt I have and the banks are ok with that. As the article says the world is built on debt.

Profile photo of ALF1ALF1
    Participant
    @alf1

Most of us have never been taught how to invest, let alone save.  Younger generations are living differently to their parents:  they're marrying later, spending more on 'lifestyle' and fearlessly taking on credit card debt.  As a result, many people have significant earning power but few assets.  Inevitably a time comes when you need to manage your finances better.  To be financially independent you need to build an asset base that generates passive residual income, but first, you need to get your debts, finances and home loan in to order

Most Australians know the answers to their financial goals; it's just the crucial step of how to go about achieving them that provides the biggest hurdle. The subject of "how to build wealth" is generally not taught in our schools, by the government or the banks, yet the wealthy possess these skills in abundance. What little knowledge we have obtained is more centred on how to budget and save money, rather than how to invest and make money – which is how most of the wealthy get rich.  In other words, we everyday Australians work harder to create wealth.  We must have our money work harder and ourselves working smarter.

I cut and paste this off our website and I believe it goes some way to answering your question about saving money.

I hope this was of benefit to you.

Profile photo of red123nzred123nz
    @red123nz

Interesting thought but how dodo you build up funds for investment in the first place if you cannot save?

Need to start some where. I agree what you do with the money is important. I have definitely learnt something from the post and your blog.

Cheers

Profile photo of angelinsydneyangelinsydney
    Participant
    @angelinsydney

Sean,

I appreciate where you are coming from. Indeed, how to start saving is the key to creating wealth.

Here are some ideas:

1. Start with 10% of your NET income. Put it away into a separate account and refuse any offers of your bank to have an access card.

2. I never used to believe in the concept of “a lifestyle I have gotten used to.” But in my old age, I discovered it is true. People get use to a certain lifestyle. And it’s really very hard to wean them off the cafe latte. So, here’s the clincher: there’s no easy way. You will go through withdrawals. From the caffeine, the late nights, the high heels, the hair dresser. But it must be done.

3. Make it fun. My family have a contest going, who got it the cheapest! The recognition is massive. I buy my children’s clothes at St Vinnie’s and the House of Salvos. In the Paddington branch, at Sydney’s Eastern suburb, I bought my son’s office shirt. Hardly used, and it’s the genuine article: Ermenigello Segna. He works in a law office, so he really looks the part.

4. Going to a sale it NOT saving money. :)

5. Cut costs. Easiest way is to rent a cheaper place. My nephew lives in a boarding house in North Sydney, walking distance from where he works. He has no utilities costs, no bus fares, no need for a car. He only buys food. For entertainment, he’s got Facebook. In one year, he saved $20,000.

6. Dating: geez, make this romantic. Together, plan to surprise each other with the “no cost” dating. Such as bushwalking, picnics. Australia is so beautiful, you don’t have to go too far to explore and be a tourist in your own backyard.

7. Get a second job, just for fun.

Just a few tips.

Angel

Profile photo of EleaElea
    @elea

Of course, saving money is important but if you are struggling to pay your bills it seems so hard to save money. I think that the first step to save money is to set your goal. Try to write your goals and try to figure out exactly how much you need to save. The next step is you need to know where your money is going. Make a list of all your expenses to see what you are spending and to see the unnecessary expense. The last thing is to take an action toward your goal, to achieve success!

Hope it can help you!

All the best,
    Elea

Profile photo of bjsaustbjsaust
    Participant
    @bjsaust
    angelinsydney wrote:
    2. I never used to believe in the concept of "a lifestyle I have gotten used to." But in my old age, I discovered it is true. People get use to a certain lifestyle. And it's really very hard to wean them off the cafe latte. So, here's the clincher: there's no easy way. You will go through withdrawals. From the caffeine, the late nights, the high heels, the hair dresser. But it must be done.

Of course, this works the other way too. I saved the most money in my life straight out of university. I was used to living on next to nothing while studying, so found it easy to just continue that way. Over time my expenses went up, but those first few years helped set some good things up.

Profile photo of M.InvestigatorM.Investigator
    @m.investigator

For me, I read the saving 10% rule in a number of wealth related books and I began implementing it myself. This actually works. After a few years, I had actually saved up a couple thousands of dollars which I used to buy my first IP. What makes it work even better is if you do it automatically so that you don't have to actively think about it every month and do any effort.

Set up an automatic payments system so that you set aside 10% of your income and then it goes into another separate account that you never touch unless its for achieving a particular goal, especially a goal for investments or building wealth through business.

Profile photo of kong71286kong71286
    Participant
    @kong71286

The ability to spend less than you earn is paramount to building wealth.

In the past the the following advice worked quite well:

• Do good at school.
    • Don’t get into debt.
    • Work hard in your job.
    • Pay of your home as soon as you can.
    • Save, Save, Save

One could retire quite comfortably by simply saving 10% of their income.

However, over the past decades the landscape and rules of money has changed considerably.

Our system today is no longer based on sound money, but is based on fiat currencies and debt.

Fiat currencies that no longer place any restraints on government spending.

Fiat currencies designed to lose purchasing power over the longer term.

Simply following the advice of saving may not yield the best outcome.

In an inflationary environment one's focus should be towards making more money and getting into good debt.

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

I will never work on the basis that I save and have to compromise anything.

I learnt my habits from my father .. set an amount to take out .. from the teller/autobank .. and until that becomes too small to work with .. make that the SET amount you can withdraw at any time .. per week.

At the moment .. thats for him .. 380 dollars. Thats six fifties and four twenties. Runs out from that .. he goes back for more. But usually unless he's hosting a party .. that covers his needs and expenses for most things for the week without redrawing.

Anything left over from the previous spend .. gets carried across and left in the wallet. So it either builds up in your wallet .. or it builds up in the bank account. Either way you save money.

The amount has been adjusted over time .. but it remains usually a steady amount that you can do things with .. without overspending .. or restricting your funds for the period.

My amount remains 520 dollars per week .. but then i'm 37 years younger and I have a couple of depenancies that he doesnt. So for me that amount is fine.

This amount is spending money and not bill paying or credit loans or bank loans. Its a figure designated for personal use.

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew
    kong71286 wrote:

(The rest of the quote appears above without being quoted directly)

However, over the past decades the landscape and rules of money has changed considerably.

Our system today is no longer based on sound money, but is based on fiat currencies and debt.

Fiat currencies that no longer place any restraints on government spending.

Fiat currencies designed to lose purchasing power over the longer term.

Simply following the advice of saving may not yield the best outcome.

In an inflationary environment one's focus should be towards making more money and getting into good debt.

Ok .. I'm going to get angry on this one. Briefly .. and reasonably.

Listen to yourself spout the garbage straight out of the press. I hear it .. i listen to it .. and it bloody annoys me.

Name a period in history where currency wasnt FIAT.

When Australians arrived in this country .. they had the holy dollar minted by punching a hole in one, creating two coins with the original being worth 15 shillings and the central punched out 'dump' being worth a shilling. Creating a significant market markup on the original mexican and spanish dollars, it was australias first currency. Yes .. australias currency was created on a markup on old spanish silver dollars. A huge FIAT markup that was incredibly profitable for the colony.

Oh .. then you must have been talking about the time when it was gold and silver? Sure it was, but at the time your average sovereign was worth anything up to a couple of weeks wages. So it was not the regularly traded commodity that a copper penny or silver shilling was. And even at this period .. the main accreditation for the penny or shilling was a heavy markup on the initial metal price. Effectively making the coin FIAT for all its intrinsic metal value.

Then you must be worrying about the changeover from a backup of gold sovereign guarantee that was dropped from the money in 1932. That was due to the ongoing fluctuations in the 'stable' metal of gold due to demands placed on it. The government could not be producing sovereigns that were at any rate of markup over the gold value .. and effectively dropped the gold standard. This just meant that they were no longer offering a direct monetary to marked-up metals linkage.

Now that I've finished addressing recent history .. the Spaniards were complaining that they werent getting enough silver in their thinned down Reals back in the 16th century. The silver price was so great in the late 18th century with all the revolutions and wars that people were shredding the edges off the coins. This was the reason that 'milling' was introduced on coins (the rim edges of coins are milled explicitly for that purpose).

The weight of the coins of henry VII were so thin that people complained that the 'sovereign' was light these days, meaning the king.

I have more examples going all the way back to roman times. But please tell me .. you are so much wiser. At what particular time in history was the currency not FIAT?

The other thing to mention is that many a king and many a kings goverment were brought to the edge simply due to overspending and lack of effective mechanisms to stop this. It never had anything to do with the state of metals in the country or the intentions of its people. Traditionally .. a king and his bureaucracy were spendthrifts with the people's money.

So as you can see from the above .. FIAT money would have never made a difference at any time in history. It remains what the people assessed as the value allocated to the currency that gave the ongoing transactions any value whatsoever.

And historically .. no matter what the period .. goverments tend to overspend. That means that no matter how hard you save .. at least once or twice in your life .. you are destined to get absolutely SCREWED over by a period of rapid inflation which totally nullifies the value of any savings held.

In a modern western democracy over the last 50 years thats now happened at least 3 times. But in small South American countries and some parts of Asia and Europe it happened quite often in parts of the 20th century.

So historically .. holding onto a bank account and relying on an overspending government is a longer term russian roulette with your hard earned money. Even with investing it in a bank .. if the bank feels it can offer you 5% on your money (and you arent including bank and government taxes on that .. the 5% is GROSS), dont you think they must be making more on that money to offer you that 5% in the first place?

A savings account is a body of safety to stop you hoarding money under the mattress and give you easier access. It is not a point for creating ongoing wealth, but it does remain leverage for being able to create your own wealth.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

I believe that learning to save is an important stepping stone towards becoming an investor, but saving should absolutely not be a person's life investment plan in its own right.

Further, it is a fact that it is necessary to be able to DEMONSTRATE that you can save to lenders when wishing to secure finance on a property you wish to buy. 

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Participant
    @kong71286

Xdrew, you have every right to be angry and annoyed, and I appreciate you voicing your opinions about this issue in such a straightforward manner. And yes, you are right, the garbage that I have spouted comes from what I have read, heard and watched. To address your request about naming a ‘period in history where currency wasn’t fiat’ we first need to be on the same page – what is your definition of ‘fiat’? To me, ‘fiat currency’ is currency that is not backed by anything of intrinsic value.

In the book ‘Guide to investing in Gold and Silver’ Mike Maloney summarizes the pattern of currency debasement quite well:

1. “A sovereign state starts out with good money i.e. money that is gold or silver, or backed fully by gold and silver
    2. As it develops economically and socially, it begins to take on more and more economic burdens, adding layer upon layer of public works, and social programs
    3. As its economic affluence grows so does its political affluence, and it increases expenditures to fund a massive military
    4. Eventually it puts its military to use, and expenditures explode
    5. To fund the war, the costliest of mankind’s endeavors, it steals the wealth of its people by replacing their money with currency that can be created in unlimited quantities. It does this either at the outbreak of the war (as in the case of World War I), during the war or wars (as in the cases of Athens and Rome), or as a perceived solution to the economic ravages of previous wars (as in the case of John Law’s France)….”

Just to clarify my position… I have nothing against Saving money, and believe the ability to ‘spend less than you earn’ is an essential habit to develop. All I simply wanted to highlight is that the monetary system we have today is designed to work against savers, and simply saving on its own may not be sufficient to fund a comfortable retirement.

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Savings are treated unfairly. You put the money in the bank and get 5% then the ATO says you must pay tax on it when in reality the CPI at 3% has eroded the value of the savings down to 2% but you are paying tax on 5%.

I was a good saver when I was a kid but when the banks started paying less than 1% interest I stopped saving money with them and put it into the stock market. When the stock market stopped being a sure thing I sold all my shares and put it in to debt reduction instead. As Kong stated there is no incentive to save money in the monetary system we have today.

Save by reducing debt.

Profile photo of livewildcardlivewildcard
    @livewildcard

I agree with Duckster. Online savings and the savings system there is really no incentive is there? 

Profile photo of red123nzred123nz
    @red123nz

It has been a long time since I have posted and thought I would add to this.

Definitely the 10% rule works and prioritizing is key!

The points made about saving in the bank is valid however if your looking to invest it into property your not going to hold it for very long? All depends. For me I think its a good way for me to build up builds. The interest earned in thea account mearly helps your money keep up with Inflation. Unless you were lucky enough to get a long term deposit on an extermely high interest rate and even then it doesn't last forever.

Thanks Anglin for your words of wisdom. Sorry its taken me so long to respond.

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

I believe it is hard to save because most people do not know how to save, unfortunately. It does not matter if you have a good job or not. It is all about discipline and buying things that you need not the ones you want. Additionally, it is important to know how to invest properly. Right and smart investing will soon lead to a financial independence. 

Profile photo of N@thanN@than
    Participant
    @n-than

I agree Mattsta, Really basic financial education should be a mandatory subject throughout school. I think being able to master delayed gratification is the biggest thing. These days you have credit cards shoved down your throat and most people don't know how to budget and see it as a ticket to have the biggest and best toys available at the time. If the government spent some money teaching it in the schools we probably wouldn't be in the situation we are in today. Maybe :/

That's just my opinion anyway!

-Nathan

Profile photo of N@thanN@than
    Participant
    @n-than

"Wealth is the transfer of money from the impatient to the patient." –  Warren Buffet

Participant
    @kong71286

For those just starting out, opening a 'First Home Saver Account' may be a good option to save up some money for their first home.

One of the best benefits of opening up a FHSA is the 17% Government contribution… i.e. if you contribute $5,000 (About $100/week) into the account for the financial year, the government will contribute $850 into the account yes

To find out more click here

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

I'm a big fan of long settlements on property purchases.  The capital growth you enjoy before you've even stumped up the cash is a bit like earning interest on a bank account you have not yet deposited money into.  cool

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.