All Topics / Value Adding / Converting laundry to a 2nd bathroom?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of CattabyCattaby
    Participant
    @cattaby

Hi all,

I'm interested in buying a nice 3 bdr property to live in with my BF and rent out the other 2 rooms to friends.

The house has 1 pretty dated, but still servicable bathroom, and 1 large laundry with toilet.

Has anyone had any experience adding a 2nd shower to a laundry? It's likely we'll need to rejig some of the laundry bench space to fit the shower in.

Any idea of roughly how much a laundry reno like this costs? And, does it add much value to a property?

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

I done something similar – for a Unit i have in the CBD

Converted a laundry into a room, and the bathroom ( only bathroom by the way) into a combine bathroom and laundry.

Strata approval with DA – $900 ( in your case, since it;s a house…im guessing you wont need a DA or approval etc – unless it’s a kitche your adding in )
    Cost of renovations- $4,000 – since i had pipes and water running in the bathroom already, it was a simple process of adding a spot for the laundry only. The res of the cost was for the new bedroom

— in the end, extra $160 per week in rent for the 2nd room + tax benefit from the renovations and depreciation.

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Cattaby

We might be carrying out a similar reno soon.

We’re converting a large laundry area into a second bathroom.

Is the house on a concrete slab? You may need to cut into it in order to connect up the new plumbing.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of JPCCMJPCCM
    @jpccm

Coring into a concrete slab is a lot dearer then most people think. Beware of these drills !

It’s best when you have a IP on a pier slab. Everything is so easy.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    JPCCM wrote:
    Coring into a concrete slab is a lot dearer then most people think. Beware of these drills !

Hmmm….so I’ve been told. JPCCM, would it be best to use a tradie to cut into the slab or are their tools that can be hired from a hardware store to get it done? I don’t mind having a go at most things, but cutting into a slab is slightly out of my comfort zone :(

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of grimnargrimnar
    Participant
    @grimnar

What about a ‘saniflow’ unit or similar? They hook into your normal waste pipe rather than sewerage line… Anyone used one before?

Profile photo of OceanArchitecturalOceanArchitectural
    @oceanarchitectural

Hello :) builder over here

It all depends on:
    what the floor is made of ,
    what the walls are made of,
    where the pipes are,
    what the pipes are made of,
    how far away youre putting in your new waste (because plumbing pipes need to have a certain fall, so that water moves in the right direction,
    is the slab suspended or ground floor
    if youre going to have to break tiles/retile

bathrooms and kitchens are the most expensive rooms in a property to renovate. sometimes the prices can blow out hugely.

the best thing to do is to get a copy of detailed plans (especially the plumbers drawings etc) and have a chat to a builder, because any indication of price I could give you would be meaningless. How long is a piece of string sort of thing.

The cheapest way to do it might involve not smashing into the concrete much at all – you can just raise the level of the new shower floor a few inches and get your fall that way – so be aware of options like that.

Profile photo of RenoTeamRenoTeam
    @renoteam

Ocean Architect has laid out the best plan of attack- the plumbing drawings will tell you what you can do with the space you have & raising the floor level could be the most cost effective avenue too :)

Profile photo of skipper386zskipper386z
    @skipper386z
    Cattaby wrote:
    Hi all,I'm interested in buying a nice 3 bdr property to live in with my BF and rent out the other 2 rooms to friends.The house has 1 pretty dated, but still servicable bathroom, and 1 large laundry with toilet.Has anyone had any experience adding a 2nd shower to a laundry? It's likely we'll need to rejig some of the laundry bench space to fit the shower in. Any idea of roughly how much a laundry reno like this costs? And, does it add much value to a property?

it depends on how large is the laundry area is and how much space you'll need to add a 2nd shower to the laundry area, and definitely it will add up a value to the property if you plan to sell it. estimated cost of renovation.. hmm.. if i relate it to my own renovation which has a 80 square feet project size i spent as much as $2,637 – $3,077 for the Material and Labor cost, and for the Materials $1,701 – $1,985 estimate.

Quote:

<font style=”font-family: Arial,sans-serif;font-size: 12px;color: #003399;text-decoration: underline” class=”sqq”>“If you would one day renovate yourself, do so from day to day”</font> ~ property maintenance adelaide

Profile photo of CattabyCattaby
    Participant
    @cattaby

Thanks for the rough guide on costs Skipper. I'd definitely have to get someone in because I have ZERO skill or tools for the job. It will be a good indication, as I'd like to revamp the main bathroom at some point when funds allow too.

Profile photo of Marie123Marie123
    Participant
    @marie123

Skipper,

How much area did you have for the laundry after you did the job? Was it just the shower you installed (and left the laundry sink)?

Thanks.

Profile photo of skipper386zskipper386z
    @skipper386z
    Marie123 wrote:
    Skipper,How much area did you have for the laundry after you did the job? Was it just the shower you installed (and left the laundry sink)? Thanks.

actually I used 80% of the total area, I just left 20% of space just for the laundry sink since I am a shower type of guy who spent a lot on shower accessories but it was worth it, although I plan to have a total renovation in my laundry and shower area since I had been searching for some new ideas and models and if the price is right I may renovate my shower area for good.

Profile photo of Marie123Marie123
    Participant
    @marie123

Thanks Skipper.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get all messages? I seem to get the ones I create a topic for but not the ones I join in on, unless I go searching. I have missed quite a few due to not recalling where I have been

Thanks in advance!

Profile photo of kenckenc
    Participant
    @kenc
    grimnar wrote:
    What about a 'saniflow' unit or similar? They hook into your normal waste pipe rather than sewerage line… Anyone used one before?

Are these the mercerator units that chops up the waste so that it can flow into the smaller waste pipes, rather than the larger 100mm pipes that is normally used for toilets? I've read about these, mostly on American websites. Haven't heard of them being used in Australia. Does anyone have one installed in Australia? 

Being mechanical and electrical, I'm guessing that it would be more prone to breakdowns than standard toilets?

Ken

Profile photo of Jeff123Jeff123
    Participant
    @jeff123

I must admit I haven't heard of a saniflow unit for sewerage before – only for kitchen waste.  Are they actually available (or legal) in Australia?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.