All Topics / Value Adding / Minimun block size in Canberra & cost to subdivide?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of o0tegs0oo0tegs0o
    Participant
    @o0tegs0o

Hi All,

Looking at a house in Melba ACT for those of you familiar – 950sqm block. Thinking of doing up the front property and subdividing off and building on the back.
    Does anyone know the min block size in this area of ACT – Is it 400sqm or down to 350?
    Also, Is there anyone who has done a project similar to this that could give me an idea of subdivision costs?

Any comments much appreciated

Cheers

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Best to give ACTPLA a call. I recall 800m2 being a magic number – but I think the block would have to be within a certain proximity to local ameneties (shops, etc).

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of o0tegs0oo0tegs0o
    Participant
    @o0tegs0o

Will do a bit more research Monday – Thanks Jamie

Profile photo of MRWMRW
    @mrw

Hi o0tegs0o,

o0tegs0o wrote:
    Hi All,

Looking at a house in Melba ACT for those of you familiar – 950sqm block. Thinking of doing up the front property and subdividing off and building on the back.
    Does anyone know the min block size in this area of ACT – Is it 400sqm or down to 350?
    Also, Is there anyone who has done a project similar to this that could give me an idea of subdivision costs?

Any comments much appreciated

Cheers

Have you considered a granny flat?
    Something I’ve thought about to add value on some of the bigger Canberra blocks.

Mark

Profile photo of o0tegs0oo0tegs0o
    Participant
    @o0tegs0o

Ive never really looked into it to tell you the truth..
    I’m guessing you still have to get the same approvals etc?
    Whats the difference between a granny flat and say a 2 bedroom house?
    Do you not have to subdivide?
    Sorry I’ve never really considered it and now you’ve opened up a mind full of questions!

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

I’m not sure of the level of bureaucracy involved in putting up a granny flat but I’d assume it would be less involved than sub-dividing and building a new dwelling.

A granny flat would provide another income stream – which would increase the yield and turn the IP into CF+. It would also increase the value of the property.

However, if you’re able to sub-divide and establish a separate dwelling, I’d be inclined to go down that path. These types of blocks don’t come up often. I recall reading about a guy in Spence doing something similar recently (API or YIP mag – can’t remember which). He did pretty well out of it.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Ultra PropertyUltra Property
    @ultra-property

Every suburb usually has its own zoning codes and regulation. I would find a private town planner that has extensive knowledge for your area. They can assist you in town planning reports and give you accurate advice on what can be achieved with your property.

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

Introduce yourself to a planner, and ask them the question. They'll be happy to tell you what they know, and if they are active in the area they'll know the answer straight up.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.