All Topics / Creative Investing / Solicitors with knowledge of rent/buy options, sandwich leases etc

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of danthewandererdanthewanderer
    @danthewanderer

Can anyone recommend solicitors with experience in rent/buy options, sandwich leases etc in SE Qld, preferably through personal experience?  Have opportunity to do rent/buy option on a house, plan was to renovate & purchase on completion.  But was curious if stamp duty payable to onsell to another buyer.  On other threads have read comments re 'higher price' clauses & 'blind options'….so need to get legal advice relevant to Qld.  Cheers

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Dan

We use Tom Forster for our Vendor Finance business in QLD.  His contact details are:
    Tom Forster
    Litigation Law Queensland
    PO Box 777 Main Beach Qld 4217
    Phone: 0428 777 007
    Fax: 5591 5571
    Email: [email protected]

If you exercise your option on the property, i.e. you buy the property, then you will pay stamp duty.  If you then sell to another buyer, the new buyer will pay stamp duty.

However, if you use the "Higher Price" or "Blind Option" as the original option which you control the property with (along with a corresponding lease) then, when you assign the option, the new purchaser won't be able to see your original option price.  And double stamp duty isn't payable.

We often use the "Higher Price/Blind Option" in Qld.

Cheers,  Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of danthewandererdanthewanderer
    @danthewanderer

Thanks  for feedback, appreciated

Dan

Profile photo of OB 1 CANIBEOB 1 CANIBE
    @ob-1-canibe

Hi Paul & Karen,
    Could you please explain the higher price / blind option mechanism.

X wants to buy a house but cant afford it. Y comes along and offers to buy the house, let X rent it, and pay extra above the rent to buy equity deposit until it can be refinanced through the banks.
    So X gets a lease, and an option ?

at a higher price?

blind option ?

help

Andy

Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi  Andy

If Y buys the house she/he would give/sell X a Lease and an Option.  Hence the term &;quot;Lease/Option&;quot;.  The Lease is just a standard Residential Tennancy Agreement (lease).  It's purpose is to give X the right to occupy the premises.  The Option gives X the right (but not the obligation) to purchase for a fixed price, within a fixed time period (term).

Y would only need a Higher Price (Blind) Option if she/he was carrying out a back to back Lease/Option (sometimes called a Sandwich Lease/Option).  As you mentioned Y is buying the property, he's not carrying out a Sandwich, therefore a Higher Price (Blind) Option woudn't be needed.

Cheers,  Paul

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of razzhmrazzhm
    @razzhm

Hi guys
    If you join the vendor finance association there is heaps f infrmation on this stuff as there are multiple ways of structuring the transactions to benefite vendors and purchasers. They can also recommend solicitors who are familiar and comfortable with the lease/option paperwork. It does work exceptionally well if structred correctly. Good luck!

Participant
    @pauldobson

The Vendor Finance Association of Australia can be found at:
    http://www.vendorfinance.asn.au/

Cheers,  Paul

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.