All Topics / Help Needed! / Help getting started

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Profile photo of FullyFully
    @fully

G'day,

I've just turned 28 and its fair to say I haven't been smart with my money in the past. I didn't have a decent job until 4 years ago and spent the first two years paying off debt and buying the big boys toys, something I'm still regretting now. Last year I spent two months overseas along with a years of savings but this I don't regret, something i'll never forget :-)

Anyways I've saved $30k over the last 5 months and have another $15k in other liquid assets. My loans from a few years back are finally coming to an end and am living in country WA for a couple of years earning $140k a year with my only expense being food.

I've read almost everything i could over the last two month but my head is feeling like mush and just wanting to get some advice.

I've already have pre-approval for a 300k loan and my mortgage broker has said on my current income I can basically get whatever I want as long as I have a 5% deposit +costs.

At the moment I'm thinking of starting with a cheap unit/apartment (<$200-$250k) with decent rental returns, CG, then hopefully buying a second one in say 6 months time, a third 6 months later and a fourth 6 months after that using the equity in the first properties and the cash I'll earn in that time.
     Ambitious yes but I have a small window with my current job and want to make the most of it.

The problem is I have no idea where to start looking for cheap properties that aren't going to be simple money pits. I've lived in WA my whole life and don't have much understanding of the rest of the country. I'm rather interested in buying in other states as there seems to be more options available, I think the mining boom in WA is making prices in Perth rather over-inflated and am fairly wary.

I've spoken to a lot of people also who are telling me to save for a few more months and look at something in the 500k range due to my income level and make most of the negative gearing options. Considering two 250k property's can get $600 a week and a $500k property maybe $450 this doesn't seem like a great idea to me. I'd imaging CG would be similar for both but obviously many other factors are involved.

Sorry there's a lot there and probably shows I'm a little confused and hesitant about what to do.

If anyone can offer some advice would be very much appreciated.

Matt

Oh my goal is simple to own a decent house outright in Perth in 12 years and just live out my life, I'm not concerned about making millions.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Fully wrote:
    I've spoken to a lot of people also who are telling me to save for a few more months and look at something in the 500k range due to my income level and make most of the negative gearing options. Considering two 250k property's can get $600 a week and a $500k property maybe $450 this doesn't seem like a great idea to me.

Hi Fully

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with reaching your goals.

I’m with you. I can never understand why some people get caught up in the whole “make sure it’s negatively geared” mindset. The tax breaks associated with residential property investing in this country are fantastic – but they shouldn’t be the driving force behind investing.

You’ve alluded to having a “small window” with your current job. My only comment would be to have a strategy in place for when that “small window” comes to an end. You don’t want to have a portfolio that can be serviced on a high income but not sustainable on a lower income. For that reason, the idea of purchasing a couple of units with a higher rental yield may serve you better than purchasing an expensive house that is negatively geared by a huge amount.

I can see that attraction for miners and the like who are earning big bucks and wanting to offset their large tax bill – but tax breaks should only be seen as an added benefit (and not the sole reason).

Best of luck.

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

Matt, congratulations for taking off the blinkers and looking for what you need !

If you've had a rough trot as far as jobs go .. I'd suggest seriously going for either a two or more unit .. property investment to start with. At the moment banks will take up to 4 units without turning to a commercial loan situation .. so .. why not take advantage of that?

The reasons are stated as such.

You'll be less exposed to vacancy rates as you are not wholly dependant on a single income.
    You'll have tenants who are paying little to start with .. so .. wont have issues with paying it.
    You will have several tenancies paying your bills .. which leads to them getting paid off sooner …….. its nice having people who pay your bills for you.
    In the event of a price movement or rental movement .. the figures move in multiples too. In your favour.

Just remember .. at the moment we are facing tougher markets, simply due to timing. That doesnt mean that good deals arent out there .. it just means you need to search more thoroughly and be more fussy. In good times .. people will buy almost anything, but when the dust settles … they'll go back to preferring decent property and quality property over … not so good.

Get to be familiar with your area of choice 100%. Dont be afraid to study it first. Grab the local paper, its a most important guide to whats going on in the area. Become an expert in your area, know what a 3 bedroom brick veneer sells for .. a 2br unit .. a 1br unit .. a decent block of land (700m2). So when the value comes … you can see it.

Look for the possibility of buying something under market .. or buying something that has upwards potential. Too often people try to purchase an item that is at its maximum potential (barring inflationary pressures) and look upon this as a good investment. The best money is made when an item is understood to be one thing, and a visionary comes along and transforms it into something else with more potential. Thats how real money is made in real estate.

This is the way to your journey .. to find that house .. that you can live in and enjoy. Think creatively and not only will you have enough to live well, you'll have the lifestyle you will have earnt.

Profile photo of OB 1 CANIBEOB 1 CANIBE
    @ob-1-canibe

Hi Matt,

I agree with the positives of the other posts, It is good that you've decided to secure your future and while you may think your starting late, it's still 7 years earlier than I did so i respect your ambition all the more.

I also agree with the posit that you are better off looking for 2-3 smaller deals that provide strong cash flow and positive loan serviceability rather than larger ones that, if Murphy's Law strikes, will prove difficult to repackage to protect your equity and "sweat".

I know, I lost a huge amount by being negatively geared into 2 properties in Sydney that when income /finances hit a crisis, we didn't have the neccessary speed or flexibility to protect our interests. Options open to us were limited.

Anyway, just a thought . . . I have posted a deal structure i am looking at elsewhere on this forum ( Investment Finance Deal) a couple of days ago. I wanted to run it past the more experienced heads on here to see what they thought. Perhaps you should have a look at it. It would offer you ( as investor / wrap vendor) positive loan servicing cash flow, security, and a cash bonus on completion by way of capital gain sharing. Basically, $175k in and around $210 – $215k (negotiable) out in roughly 18 months.

I'd be interested to hear what you think

Either way, it's important to start your long term financial security as early as possible so don't hold back, in the long run, there will always be profits in putting a roof over someone's head.

Regards

Andy

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Fully wrote:

1. At the moment I'm thinking of starting with a cheap unit/apartment (<$200-$250k) with decent rental returns, CG, then hopefully buying a second one in say 6 months time, a third 6 months later and a fourth 6 months after that using the equity in the first properties and the cash I'll earn in that time.

Ambitious yes but I have a small window with my current job and want to make the most of it.

2. Considering two 250k property's can get $600 a week and a $500k property maybe $450 this doesn't seem like a great idea to me. I'd imaging CG would be similar for both but obviously many other factors are involved.

3. Oh my goal is simple to own a decent house outright in Perth in 12 years and just live out my life, I'm not concerned about making millions.

Hi Matt,

Some comments in direct response to some of your points.

1. The issue of 'how long in this job' is absolutely critical.
    I assume you are on the mines somewhere in WA (whereabouts ?) and are currently earning a tidy packet because of this. No point doing all of your planning and spending based on a $140K income if in a few years time you drop down to $65K. All the numbers change and this may have a significant effect on your plans and what you have acquired. If this scenario transpires your plans and reality are poles apart and it probably wont work unless all of your props are paying for themselves.

The next question is what are you trying to achieve? Is it 'wealth' from cashflow or growth. The answer to this will determine which property and where it is.

2. CG highly likely to be very different. Your $500K property will be in a much better location and will outperform the 2 X 250K props. Just check the median price records for Perth suburbs to see which are the better performers.

3. I heard Peter Spann suggest individuals should consider the buy investment properties first and use profits to then buy a home at a later date. Will need a few IPs to do this as median price in Perth in 12 yrs should be above $1m based on previous growth rates. 

Profile photo of mcgrandlesmcgrandles
    @mcgrandles

hi just go for whatever you want the fact that your doing any thing is a bonus in it self its good to get a head start on life  love wa lived there also lived in nsw and queensland now in sa i have to say sa is far the best for great priced property and they rent out fast the area thats best is goolwa. victor harbour . hindmarsh island  plenty of homes under 300.000 the reason i say buy under 300000 is they are  close to water or beach if you go up a little in price you get  water front for under 400000 have a look at the area you never know you may like it

Profile photo of FullyFully
    @fully

Thanks everyone for the advice its much appreciated. Some interesting comments that i've started researching.

Unfortunately I'm not on the mines, I work for the government and am based in a remote town for 18-36 months, up to myself really how long I stay. More then likely my next spot will have an income of around $100k and a few other bonuses will also disappear.

My simple aim is to own my own house In Perth by the age of 40 so the rest of my life isn't too difficult. As you guys have mentioned I just need to work out the best option to do that. Most of my mates are either stuck in dead end jobs having to rent the rest of there lives or buying there house on a 30 year loan in Timbuktu that should disappear when there 55, something i'm not interested in.

My main thoughts is to buy several investment properties with the hope of CG I can sell in the future and turn some tidy profits and buy something outright. Having a look through Perth there's not much around $250k anyway apart from Hotel apartment's which I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. There seems to be a fair bit around the rest of the country though and will continue to research.

Andy I'll be reading your other posts after this.

Dereck I understand your thoughts on two $250k or one $500k and thats what I need to do work out. Despite what most people think house prices have hardly moved in Perth for two years from what I have seen and can't seeing them being more then $750k by 2020 rather then $1 million like most people think. (house prices shouldn't have been more then 360-380k last year going on 100 year of trends which would suggest the next 10 years might slow to get back into the long term trend so 750kish)

McGrandles- Thanks for the advice, will definately check out those suburbs you have mentioned.

Thanks,

Matt

Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi again Matt

Have you considered branching out from WA? It’s amazing the amount of due diligence you can carry out on an area that’s on the other side of the country. There’s also the option of a buyers agent if you’d prefer not to carry out most of the hard yards on your own.

Best of luck with whichever path you go down.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

@fully

Jamie,

Yep i'm very much open to buying interstate and have been looking into that. My biggest obstacle is not having the knowledge I do on Perth which your right, I can get with a lot of research.

Cheers,

Matt

Participant
    @jamie-m

It does take more effort but it opens up your opportunities to hundreds of different markets across the country.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Kent CliffeKent Cliffe
    Participant
    @kent-cliffe

Hi Fully,

When lending banks look at 2 things. The first thing is deposit or equity and the second in cash flow or servicing. A client of mine in a very similar position, he has great servicing.

He purchased a property with a 6.5% rental yield in Armadale, WA for around $300k a little while back. In that time it has hardly moved. He still has good servicing; however he has no equity to purchase his next property. Even at a 6.5% yield, when you take away costs, loan, management and so on and so forth. He is still out of pocket reducing his ability to make savings. Also banks are more reluctant to make more and more 95%+ loans as you have more debt. After 3.5 years of having this property, he has finally saved his next deposit which he thought would only take him 6 months – like it did in the past. He came to me and asked for his advice.

This is what I suggested: Go for a property around the 400-450k mark in a high capital growth area. Look for something you can add value to and save up an extra 30k to do this renovation. Don't be afraid to negotiate hard and know what market value is. One settlement of the property complete a speedy reno (subbing out the work). Stick in a tenant. After this has been done instead of taking 3.5 years to save for your next deposit he had an extra $45k in equity in his property after waiting 6 months for a bank re-val (still nothing is his CF property). I think the first property is costing him around $70 per week and this other property is now costing him $120 per week (as the reno pulled the yield up). Roughly and extra $2600 neg gearing loss a year for $45k equity 3 years quicker, I'd say it's worth it? 

He has seen the light:
    ~ Target Capital Growth (which pulls rents up over time)
    ~ Negotiate well
    ~ Add Value (improve equity AND yield)
    ~ Bank re-val
    ~ Go again 

When servicing becomes an issue we can then start looking at CF properties for him, but his main concern at the moment is servicing.  

P.S. Not to mention the tax concessions.

Profile photo of ajaydee73ajaydee73
    Participant
    @ajaydee73
    Fully wrote:
    Oh my goal is simple to own a decent house outright in Perth in 12 years and just live out my life, I'm not concerned about making millions.

Considering this, I would recommend looking for the house you want to live in, buy it and pay down the loan as fast as you can. It's the most sure way of achieving your goal.

@fully

Kent,

Thanks very much for that insight. I was actually running scenario's last night for about 5 hours and came to a similar problem, unless the property I buy is appreciating in value I'm better off sitting the money in a bank earning interest. I think i came to the conclusion I need the property to appreciate 5% a year over say 5 years for it to be worth while…

I actually didn't think about the problem of gaining a loan on a second property and is a very good point you make. I just assumed like your client i'd have another 30k in 6 months and go again. I'm not in a rush so will make sure my research is spot on and hopefully start out on a good footing.

Thanks for your help,

Matt

Profile photo of sapphire101sapphire101
    Participant
    @sapphire101

Hi Matt,

My advice, on top of all this other advice is "KEEP IT SIMPLE". Don't get caught up with too many things at once. In the current market especially, but for me at any time, the best thing is take control of your own capital gain and let the market do what it does.

In other words 'add value' and increase the property value immediately, not when the market dictates.

If you combine this strategy with a sound purchase which is under current market value, then you win both ways from day one, not 5 years down the road. This will mean you can borrow against the new value a lot quicker and move forward faster.

Look for property that is being sold by a motivated vendor and where you can add value straight away, either through a cosmetic renovation, adding another dwelling to increase rent return, a subdivision, a plans and permits sale or development.

Five good properties like this and you can buy your $500k house with cash.

Best of luck mate and good on you for getting into it and for not being afraid to ask questions.

Ian
    http://www.theblockblog.com
    Free Property Information, Tools & Resources For Property Investors with a Sense of Humour.

Profile photo of OB 1 CANIBEOB 1 CANIBE
    @ob-1-canibe

It's interesting to read through the posts and notice that the most emphatic points are to increase the value of the property either by buying astutely ( negotiate HARD) and then reno to increase attractiveness. The increased capital value will result in increased rental yields further supporting an increased valuation.
    It seems so much like common sense yet in many of the other threads, many of the investors are ONLY focused on CF+ investments.

I agree that the best investment is one that you can rapidly add value to with a resulting increase in market value (thereby increasing your equity value) AND that can be well serviced in terms of rapid repayments, ideally generated by increased CF+ rental income.

I urge anyone reading this thread to pay close attention to Ian's post ( Sapphire 101)

Happy trails

Profile photo of mcgrandlesmcgrandles
    @mcgrandles

hi if you want i can give you info on the good areas i mentioned in SA i I'm happy to look at a property let you know if good or bad  if you choose SA and I'm sure if you ask about any other  areas someone will know about  them last year the adelaide paper put out a  10 yr forcast on suburb prices and  the areas i told you about the average house price will be 1 million dollars lots of new major shops are in and more to come the new free way from adelaide will make travel so easy to get here holiday homes will boom so will rentals

Profile photo of Ultra PropertyUltra Property
    @ultra-property

Welcome the investment world, once you start you can't stop!

Try and read as much books as you can and learn from other investors who are in the property industry.

Profile photo of angelinsydneyangelinsydney
    Participant
    @angelinsydney

Hi Matt,

Congratulations. The “wanting” is 80% of the battle. The rest is now about research and doing the maths.

I agree that the rule is to “Keep it Simple.” Don’t think too hard about it, over complicating it makes for analysis paralysis. You sort of end up not doing anything.

In choosing an investment property, I use simple rules:

1. It must be close to amenities, transport links and good schools. Someone asks me, “Aren’t you afraid of vacancy? What if no one rents it?” I said, “If there were 100 vacant houses and only 10 people looking to rent, they’d still choose the one house that has transport links, near good schools and has amenities.” Makes sense?

2. The income should at least equal the out-goings. As a single mother, and semi-retired, this is a requirement. You see, if all you need is a $100 but you don’t $100, it might as well be a million.

3. Buy in an appreciating suburb. Tools I use are certain websites like http://www.domain.com.au. Click on property report tab. Population is a driver of appreciation. If the people are moving out, stay out. If the people are flooding in, go in. If the people there don’t want to stay there, who’d want to rent the property?

4. Certain things will always be out of our control so those you can, do. Interest rate (fix it if you have a weak heart). Cover it (check the exclusions). Manage it yourself (if you are a people person).

And the rest, prayers. God bless. Trust me, you’re nearly there.

Angel

Profile photo of fredo_4305fredo_4305
    Participant
    @fredo_4305

Fully,
                   Congrats on taking a big step.  Property can be a wonderful thing but at time an annoying stressful vehicle.  If you are comfortable with Perth than look there.  Maybe look at suburbs that are on the UP close to amenities and the beach etc.  This is always a good way to make a buck.  Even if Perth is flat at the moment there will always be areas doing a little better than others and where people are prepared to pay that little extra rent.

You could even buy a one or two bedroom unit and give it a quick tidy up inside a month to make a bit of equity.  Or alternatively buy a unit with a long settlement, is vacant and the vendor is happy with you to tidy it up before it settles.

Also if you are concerned about your wage dropping I would look at the unit option cause if you get to say four units, then your wage drops you could put the rent up on all four or sell one to help paying the other three mortgages.

I hope you do well and achieve what you are after.

@fully

Thanks everyone for the advice, although haven't replied much it has been very helpful.

I've decided the best way for me to start is with a cheap unit that with a bit of a touch up can bring some immediate equity and fast track my second property- a lot easier said then done.

I've found and made an offer on a unit that needs a bit of work and is selling for about 45k less then the other units in it's complex. It needs the floors, walls and kitchen redone but have the luxury of a very large extended family that can do the whole lot for me in a couple of days and at cost… They've all had a look and agreed it shouldn't be any more then a couple of days and will cost between 5-10k :-)

The only thing that has been a bit annoying is I put the offer in on Thursday Morning and was called on Friday afternoon to say someone else had just made an offer and if I wanted to change mine. I told her no straight out and was advised the seller would make a decision over the weekend and get back to me on Monday.

So a little annoying but that's life and just have to wait and see.

With everyone's advice on these forums I have a few different idea's and am much more comfortable with were I'm going.

Cheers,

Matt

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.