All Topics / General Property / Subdivision in Monash City Council, Victoria

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of GLTGLT
    @glt

Hi everyone,
    We are currently living at a property in  oakleigh south in Melbourne. The property is a house set on big block of land.we are  planing to subdivide and sell the vacant block, then keep the front house for rental.
    Appreciate it if anyone with subdivision experience in this area can share some info on.
    #Is there minimum lot size required by Monash City Council for these subdivisions?#What are the costs of utilities (gas, electricity etc) connection? #Can you refer any good town planners who can take the subdivision from 'start to finish'?

Profile photo of hrubhrub
    @hrub

Hello GLT,

I am currently sub-dividing another property in Ashwood which happens to be under the municipality of Monash City Council. The biggest problem I'm encountering is that the council refuses to allow me to build double storey at rear however I have seen other new developments in Mount Waverley that are double storey at front and back. Your architect or town planner should be able to find out all the requirements before anything else. There is no minimum lot size required by the council.

Cost of service connection varies from area to area, one service provider to another, however these cost is relatively insignificant compare with professional services fees and construction cost. I suggest you to collect quotation from local architects or building designers.

I will be happy to refer you my architect as he is very experienced in dealing with councils from South Eastern suburbs and he can provide you with the full service from design to construction. He is actually pretty cheap compare to other quotes that I have got previously. After you get 2 to 3 quotes from various professionals you should have a better idea. I will shoot you a quick private message with his details.

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

GLT and hrub,

Ashwood and Oakleigh both have, in my opinion, fairly simple planning guidelines. There is a prevailing density pattern (single detached dwellings on larger allotments) that is gradually but surely changing. Density of 1:300m2 should be readily achievable in most parts of each of these neighbourhoods.

Both of these areas also have higher density pockets with them that would allow more "progressive" planning, but without knowing exactly where we are talking about, specific advice isn't possible. As for building double storey at the rear of an allotment, most councils "strongly discourage" this outcome, but it is not in contravention of the planning statutes. It may have more to do with the visual "bulk" of the proposal than the fact that it's double storey. The trick (if you like) is to make the buildings look and feel less dominant and to take advantage of the open space that is created when going up rather than out.

Profile photo of sherry1sherry1
    @sherry1

Hi Hrub

I am thinking to do the same in our Mt Waverley property. Could you please let me know the contact detail of your architect? My email address is [email protected].

Regards

Wendy

Profile photo of mbbmbb
    @mbb

Hey Hrub,

I'm thinking of redeveloping an Ashwood property as well. Could you pm me about the architect you are using? And what sort of dwellings you are planning? How is the subdivision progressing? Am on the starting block and would really appreciate advice from someone who has had experience in the suburb with the same Council. My email address is [email protected]. Thank you in advance!

Profile photo of Stacey SurveyingStacey Surveying
    Participant
    @stacey-surveying

Hi Hrub,

In response to your queries I would suggest looking at the land.vic.gov site and under the zoning section you can see what regulations may apply to your property. Things can change from one side of the street to another, so always worth looking at this.

In terms of the subdivision process the first step is to apply for your permits (planning and building) and get the necessary surveys undertaken. After this the subdivision part starts and the initial plans will be drawn up by your surveyor and lodged. In this step this is normally where building begins and the subdivision plans can be amended to match in exactly with the new dwellings.

If you would like any more information on the process I have an excel spreadsheet with the whole process, although not sure how to post it up here!

Kindest Regards,
    Ashley Stacey

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.