All Topics / Help Needed! / Is it feasible to build a duplex on a property with an existing dwelling?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of SquizzySquizzy
    @squizzy

Hi,

I have a property over 1000m2 with a three bedroom two storey house on it. I have no use for the land and was wondering if it would be feasible to build a duplex on the remainig property? I live in Brisbane and have a 20m frontage.

I was hoping someone might be able to provide any information, contacts or ideas towards this topic.

Thank you very much in advance.

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

The question is slightly to broad….be more specific.

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of TC62TC62
    @tc62

A lot depends on access to your existing property – is it a corner allotment because if not, you would probably be looking at a hammerhead with your existing 20m frontage. Next, it would depend on the Lands Title  Office as to your titles classification for the land and any provision for further subdivision by the LTO. Your next hurdle will be local Council Regs and what they will or will not allow. As Michael has already said, your questions are too broad to be able to accurately assess and help you.
    CHEERS!
    TC

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

From the information provided it seems feasible. First stop should perhaps be your local council town planning department, they are generally happy to help with this type of enquiry. Alternatively you can contact a private planner and engage them to assess the merits of your proposal.

Profile photo of Sailesh CSailesh C
    @sailesh-c

It is quite common to see town houses or duplexes being constructed in back yard of homes in Brisbane. This is only possible on land that has a LMR zoning or the old Res B zone. Your title will show what your land is zoned as. If it is Res A then it will be very difficult to change the classification.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.