All Topics / General Property / Shonky tradesman

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of yobbo1yobbo1
    @yobbo1

Just want to get peoples expeiences and opinions on tradesman that do work on rental properties and do poor work or replace items that don't need replacing. Here is an example of what happened to me!

The tenant complained of leak under sink, so a plumber was called in. 1st visit he put sealer around a couple connector joints, said it was fixed but wasn't. 2nd visit said mixer needed replacing. 3rd visit replaced mixer, said was fixed but wasn't. 4th visit played around and put sealer everywhere but the leak… I refused to call him back after a $300 bill and no fix. I went in after this and put silicon around the dishwasher hose connection to the drain and fixed the problem within  10minutes..

I asked for the good mixer back but never got it!

So how often does something like this happen wioth others?

Unfortunantly, I think there is now way I CAN'T pay this fella or is there?

regards

Profile photo of TC62TC62
    @tc62

Hi Yobbo

OK, do NOT pay this rabbit!
    I am a lawyer and I suggest you pay a visit to the ACCC Australian Competition and Consumer Commission. The ACCC is the federal government's watchdog and the ACCC police and enforce compliance with the Trade Practices Act 1974. As per your description of above you were 'diddled'. No one who is licensed or certified in Australia is allowed under the Trade Practices Act to do such a sub-standard job as this plumber you describe did. If you have no luck with the ACCC, still do NOT pay and let him take you to the Small Claims Tribunal in your state. You can represent yourself without the cost of a lawyer and simply tell your story in detail to the court. If what you have described above is accurate, this plumber will be hard pressed to convince a court he did a fair and equitable job for his fee.
    I hope this helps!

CHEERS!
    TC

Profile photo of yobbo1yobbo1
    @yobbo1

Unfortunantly i have already paid this fella. I'm sure it was his apprentice that was doing the work but that is still no excuse as he should have been supervised and I know he wasn't.

thankyou and I know for the next time something like this happens.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

TC – the construction industry is covered by the Security of Payments Act – if the bill was unpaid, the bill was to a client (not a homeowner) etc then the plumber would be entitled to take this matter to court to seek payment.

Profile photo of sbouchsbouch
    @sbouch

Tradesmen are the same as other professions, there are bad ones and good ones.
    The best way to source a good tradie is by ‘word of mouth’.
    Getting a recommendation from a trusted friend or colleague is invaluable.
    I am an electrical contractor, I’ve been working for myself for over 3 years and haven’t advertised once.
    All of my work comes from recommendations from satisfied clients.
    I am always busy and need to put someone on to keep up.

See how you go,

S

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.