All Topics / General Property / A hyperthetical Question

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of MRWMRW
    @mrw

Hi all,
    If you had $100,000 sitting in an offset account, begging to be invested in some way, would you:
    a) buy a decent inner city unit?
    b) 1 or 2 regional houses?
    c) 2 (or more) US properties?
    d) none of the above?

CF+ would be good but isn’t an absolute requirement. (Within reason).

Mark

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

A decrepit semi or single-fronted house in the se or inner west of sydney.

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon

Buy a house with a bit of leverage thrown in.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Mark

Are you looking at off-the-plan in Canberra CBD? There’s a couple of developments that look tempting (one in Braddon and one near Glebe Park). Once complete the decent yields and high depreciation should see these units achieving neutral cashflow (or slightly negative).

I’d be tempted to grab something locally (ie. Canberra) – it’s a buyers market at the moment (so much stock has been released). So perhaps something established could be a goer.

Not sure about the US – I am yet to invest abroad.

Best of luck

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Mark

I might be tempted to buy a property and on-sell it with vendor finance, so it generates, say, $500 per month positive cash flow and then, buy another property with resonable capital gain prospects but negatively geared to the tune of $500 per month  ;-)

Obviously that's a idealised example but buying buying one and turning it into a cash cow to support our buy a hold is what we've been doing for a few years now.

Cheers,  Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of MRWMRW
    @mrw

Hi Jamie,

Jamie M wrote:
    Hi Mark

Are you looking at off-the-plan in Canberra CBD? There’s a couple of developments that look tempting (one in Braddon and one near Glebe Park). Once complete the decent yields and high depreciation should see these units achieving neutral cashflow (or slightly negative).

I’d be tempted to grab something locally (ie. Canberra) – it’s a buyers market at the moment (so much stock has been released). So perhaps something established could be a goer.

Not sure about the US – I am yet to invest abroad.

Best of luck

Jamie

Looking at all options at the moment. Starting to think about number 2. The US looks good, but not sure we have the experience to invest offshore quite yet. Then again it might be a case of jumping in the deep end rather than missing the boat.
    The ‘safer’ option is either locally (Canberra) in which case I’d like to get as close to the CBD as possible, or around my old stomping ground (Newcastle). I’ve also been reading about regional areas like Wagga, Nowra, Tamworth as well. Nelligen road’s completed so I think Nowra might be the pick there, although I don’t think I’d get the same growth as inner city Canberra.
    Hoping to get some insight from Steve on the 22nd. Watching his last update he seems to be aligning with Michael Yardney in terms of inner city for capital growth, and heading to the US for the CF+ side of his investments.

IP1 as you know was our old PPoR so there wasn’t a lot of thought go into that one. It’s CF+ so definitely can’t complain. This one though, I wan’t to get right.

Mark

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Mark

I was looking into Nowra mid last year – there were some good posts from Devo (I think that was the username) on the area.

I’m not 100% sure if Nerriga road is complete yet. You’d have to suss that one out.

Best of luck with whichever option you choose.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.