All Topics / Help Needed! / Advice Making Offers for 1st IP

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of WinnYWinnY
    @winny

Hi All,

I am a new member to this forum and was hoping to get some advice.

My brother and I intend to purchase an IP together (joint ownership).

I currently work 5 days a week so I am not free to search for properties but my brother is free during the weekdays to look at potential places and make an offer.

Can the offer be made by my brother only but the property is held under both names?
    Also my father will be accompanying my brother so can my father sign on my behalf when we make the offer ?
    Or do I need to go as well to make an offer?

Thanks,
    WinnY

Profile photo of traceyimbtraceyimb
    Participant
    @traceyimb

Hi WinnY,

You don't have to inspect the property (although personally I would if it is in the same area as I live).  Your brother can make a verbal offer and the agent can come and visit you both after hours to sign up the paperwork.  Yes, agents can do this to sell a property.  If all property could only be sold during office hours when most people work it would cause some difficulty. 

Not sure where you are buying but market has been slow in a lot of areas and the agent would probably jump at the chance to come over and sign up the paperwork.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
    Tracey

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi WinnyY

Welcome to the forum.

Are you looking to purchase an IP in the area that you live? If your brother finds something worth pursuing – he should simply ask the agent if it would be ok to quickly take you through it after work hours (there shouldn’t be a problem with this approach).

Your father doesn’t need to sign anything.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

As mentioned any can make the offer. It's only when buying you both need to sign.

If it's a deal that has to be signed in order to secure it quickly your brother can fill it out with his name "and nominee". Your name can be added when it goes to your solicitor.

But normally you would organise a time to sign with your brother.

Profile photo of WinnYWinnY
    @winny

Thanks everyone for your input.

That certainly gives me some relief. I'll probably tell my bro to put me down as a nominee.

Cheers

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Check with the OFT regarding 'or nominee' clause'

I understand (not 100% sure) replacing am 'or nominee' with a real name can trigger a second stamp duty calculation in some states dependent upon when the change occurs. In some case the simple change may be seen as a separate sale.

Worth a phone call.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.