All Topics / General Property / Our beginnings in the property journey!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of orangestreetorangestreet
    Participant
    @orangestreet

Hello everybody

I have been reading the Forums with great regularly and have finally decided to start posting and learn as much as I can in the process. At this stage, I might not be able to help many people with answers but it does not necessarily have to be about that, should it ? You can make a useful contribution to the Forum by encouraging people to achieve their goals or maybe congratulate somebody when they achieve their dreams or maybe even offer words of encouragement to somebody who is feeling dejected. Also, a big thank you to Forum members who post such excellent answers and do so with great humility and politeness. It is really refreshing to see that.

Me and wife are aged 30 and 26 respectively with no dependents and a tiny personal debt (car loan). We are both earning good incomes and do not have excessive spending habits. We have now been married for just over a year and we would now like to buy a PPoR and get on to the property bandwagon. All these years, I (like most people I knew) had only one ambition; to buy a PPoR and make extra repayments and pay it off ASAP. However, I always had a nagging suspicion at the back of my mind that buying and owning 1 PPoR at the end of your working life won't mean much because along with your PPoR, everything else would have appreciated in value as well and downgrading at that stage seemed like a poor idea.

At this stage, I decided to buy a couple of property investment magazines and saw case studies about how people used leveraging to become millionaires and it was as if a light bulb inside me just switched itself on. This prompted me to borrow some books (Yardney, Fitzgerald, Somers Etc) and then some more and now I am fascinated and cannot wait to get started. We have decided to buy a PPoR first (want a place to call home) and then be disciplined enough through proper loan structures to leverage that into my first IP in a year or two after that and then build on that. I am working with a great Mortgage Broker who has been extremely helpful and generous with his time and in time I hope to surround myself with a knowledgeable Accountant and maybe a Buyers Agent for my first IP purchase.

I started off with a goal to have enough assets that generate passive income that reduces the need for my job driven income by 50% in 15 years. But after reading some of the amazing goals achieved by many and also because I don't want to shoot too low (lest I reach it) my target now is to be able to retire in 15 years time completely (I might choose to work part-time but that should be my choice). I know it will be hard work but I love researching about property and learning everything I can about it and it does not feel like a chore to me. Also, me and wife don't have an extravagant lifestyle and we are able to save a good percentage of our incomes in addition to paying rent. But the biggest motivation comes from the prospect of finally having a chance to quit the rat race and be financially independent.

Thank you for your time in reading this and also a big thank you for all of you who post here regularly and are generous with your expertise. I appreciate it very much.

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi orangestreet

Thanks for your first very interesting post and welcome to the forum.  I know everybody here hopes you enjoy your time here.

Yes, I think you're right.  15 years will be hard work but it is achievable.  We started our vendor finance business in 2003 and both Karen & I were out of full time employment by mid 2009.  Of course, we still work in our own business but we love it.

All the best with your plans.

Cheers,  Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of orangestreetorangestreet
    Participant
    @orangestreet
    PaulDobson wrote:
    Hi orangestreet

Thanks for your first very interesting post and welcome to the forum.  I know everybody here hopes you enjoy your time here.

Yes, I think you're right.  15 years will be hard work but it is achievable.  We started our vendor finance business in 2003 and both Karen & I were out of full time employment by mid 2009.  Of course, we still work in our own business but we love it.

All the best with your plans.

Cheers,  Paul

Hey Paul – thank you for the encouragement. We will keep at it and see what we will end up with.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    orangestreet wrote:
    We have decided to buy a PPoR first (want a place to call home) and then be disciplined enough through proper loan structures to leverage that into my first IP in a year or two after that and then build on that.

HI OS,

A very newsy introduction and welcome.

Seems to me you have made some great initial steps that should set yourself up well for the future.

Some people may argue the merits of buying a home first (each to their own) – my counsel would be to keep it simple. There is no need for the eight bedrooms, olympic pool + diving board + 8 car garage + home theatre centre complete with reception centre at the beginning. Start small and work up.

As the journey is long you will need to be very focussed so writing down goals is a good place to start and make sure you remain true to your goals.

Enjoy and I look forward to hearing from you as you embark on a long journey.

Profile photo of michaelandre70michaelandre70
    @michaelandre70

A warm welcome to you in the forum. Wish you have a great time here and all the best for you plans.

Cheers!

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Orangestreet

Welcome to the forum :)

Purchasing a PPOR first and leveraging into IPs is a strategy I like – it’s how I kick-started my portfolio.

It can also be quite easy to add value to a PPOR. While you’re living in it, simple things such as painting, reflooring and possibly updating the kitchen can often easily increase the value, providing you with some additional equity to put towards your first IP purchase.

It’s great that you’ve been reading up, surrounding yourself with a team of professionals and have devised a long-term strategy.

I wish you the best of luck on your investing journey and I hope you reach your goals.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.