All Topics / General Property / Useful Buffett Insight

Viewing 15 posts - 101 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • Profile photo of johnriskjohnrisk
    @johnrisk

In the long cycle the less decisions you make the better if one is grounded in correct market sector. Of course holding onto a bad position is financial death, and this is where extensive knowledge is key, it takes at least 5-10yrs of serious study to really understand it, and as much practical market participation as you can handle. Although these forums can be useful to beginners, seasoned investors know its about understanding trends and superlative research.

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon

As most posters have mentioned supply must increase dramatically for prices to drop dramatically.

An increase in listings is not necessarily an increase in supply as nothing has happened until a sales is made.

For a crash to occur we will need to see a massive increase in willing sellers as they are needed for a sale to take place. Given that say 60% of the players are not investors and that they have owned their house for 7 years if they listed their house and dont receive an offer that suits then they will not be willing sellers. This is the major traction force that will stop a crash under the current environment. The majority of players are not investors and they will simply put off a sale if they dont think that they are going to sell at a reasonable price.

Profile photo of johnriskjohnrisk
    @johnrisk

The long cycle can last anywhere between 10-25yrs, then as market conditions change, so must asset allocation, unfortunately for most fund managers, they find it difficult to change styles, and wish to stick to the asset class that has made them wealthy, unfortunately markets do not work this way, as every market eventually goes into market decay when measured in REAL TERMS, and thats one of the big differences between the investment winners and losers, is how to measure real gains across different asset classes and different currencies, etc etc. Wealth building takes time unless you are extrodinarily gifted or lucky, but that kind of luck runs out quick, as you will be fleeced by the smart money at the first opportunity. Suckers are being lined up as we chat….

Profile photo of johnriskjohnrisk
    @johnrisk

When charting un navigated waters, there is not yardstick, and oz house prices are at record levels. We dont have enough data to come to any firm conclusion here in oz because we only have small amounts of historic data relative to other countries with centuries of house price data. Interest rates can trend in one direction for between 30-60yrs, how much accurate/comprehensive data do we have to substantiate any claims about the robustness or longevity of any housing bull market here in oz?

Profile photo of reasonsreasons
    @reasons
    fWord wrote:

Then again, I gather it would be difficult to be successful to be a 'jack of all trades, master of none' when it comes to investing. Perhaps time could be better spent just targeting two or just three different kinds of investment.

No, not true at all. I think you will find a significant proportion of successful investors will hold real property (often commercial), but will not be limited to it and are very active in all other asset classes. That is how they make money and maintain the velocity of their capital by investing in other asset classes as they move higher compared to others.

The stats show there are ~174,000 millionaires in Australia (~0.8% of the population) – a millionaire is defined by $US1m or more in tangible assets like cash, property and equities outside of the family home (eg, junk like cars, boats and jet skis are not assets). What this stat importantly tells us is that 99% of the population have recognised assets of less than $US1m excluding their home, which is not necessarily considered by some to be a lot of money to comfortably survive many years of retirement.

Match that against a recent article in The Australian which said 72% of the wealth of those over 60 is in the family home. With a median house price in Melbourne and Sydney at roughly $600K this means the average couple has only a few hundred thousand in Super, etc, at best, so don’t have much money to throw around in the main.

Someone said elsewhere they believed that grey power was splurging their huge Super funds as families were not attending house open inspections.

If that was proved true when they already have on average over 70% of their wealth invested in property and really need cash flow in order to eat and have fun, not debt, how much further at risk are they placing themselves and what does it say about the need to understand about other asset classes to ensure you don’t make a similar mistake?

I don't know about you, but I consider there is unwarranted downside risk if I act, only understand the same things, and invest like the 99%.

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword
    pharvie wrote:

The stats show there are ~174,000 millionaires in Australia (~0.8% of the population) – a millionaire is defined by $US1m or more in tangible assets like cash, property and equities outside of the family home (eg, junk like cars, boats and jet skis are not assets). What this stat importantly tells us is that 99% of the population have recognised assets of less than $US1m excluding their home, which is not necessarily considered by some to be a lot of money to comfortably survive many years of retirement.

In this instance, do the said millionaires wholly own their property or other assets (as opposed to having significant loans)? If what you say about 99% of the Australian population is true, then this is alarming for another reason. Where is the government going to find the money to feed these people when they run out of money? My only thought is that our already-oppressive levels of tax have to rise further in order to keep the welfare system going for these guys.

pharvie wrote:
    Match that against a recent article in The Australian which said 72% of the wealth of those over 60 is in the family home. With a median house price in Melbourne and Sydney at roughly $600K this means the average couple has only a few hundred thousand in Super, etc, at best, so don’t have much money to throw around in the main.

Someone said elsewhere they believed that grey power was splurging their huge Super funds as families were not attending house open inspections.

I'm not entirely up to date on the policies regarding investment by foreigners. But is it possible that all this money is coming from overseas? Most of us have heard of seriously loaded folk who come over here, buy premium properties with cash and then fly back home.

@reasons
    fWord wrote:
    In this instance, do the said millionaires wholly own their property or other assets (as opposed to having significant loans)?

It does not matter if there is a loan, but has to be actual attributable equity, in other words a $US1m house with a $US500K loan = only $US500K actual equity. Logically 'x' number will be using gearing for appropriate asset classes.

@reasons
    fWord wrote:
    I'm not entirely up to date on the policies regarding investment by foreigners. But is it possible that all this money is coming from overseas? Most of us have heard of seriously loaded folk who come over here, buy premium properties with cash and then fly back home.

I am only loosely across it, but I did read that the Fed Govt. did an investigation and in theory very few instance were detected compared to the hype that it was prolific. The Aussie dollar is now making it less attractive for parents to send their kids here from OS as housing is expensive and fees similarly compared to somewhere like the USA where their dollar is being deflated.

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword
    pharvie wrote:

It does not matter if there is a loan, but has to be actual attributable equity, in other words a $US1m house with a $US500K loan = only $US500K actual equity. Logically 'x' number will be using gearing for appropriate asset classes.

I see. This makes sense then. Otherwise we could have more people out there wielding million-dollar property portfolios but paying off $800K worth of debt.

pharvie wrote:

I am only loosely across it, but I did read that the Fed Govt. did an investigation and in theory very few instance were detected compared to the hype that it was prolific. The Aussie dollar is now making it less attractive for parents to send their kids here from OS as housing is expensive and fees similarly compared to somewhere like the USA where their dollar is being deflated.

At one point there was even talk of a 'dob-in' line for people to report suspected cases. It appeared to me that the greatest concern was that foreigners were buying houses and then leaving them vacant, hence compounding 'housing affordability' issues, further reducing supply of housing to the masses.

It was terrible to even suggest something like that, turning the whole thing into a witch hunt. A few months after I first moved in, my neighbour asked if I were actually living in the house or just leaving it empty. And you can just imagine how infuriated and insulted I was to be at the receiving end of such a question, to be suspected of having enough money to buy a house simply to leave it vacant! In reality, many 'foreigners' are really people who work locally, are faced with paying off their mortgage and experience struggles identical to those of the average Aussie.

Nevertheless it is feasible that a good number of foreigners have an interest in Australian property and own rental property here. Coming from Singapore, I can at least say that I've witnessed first-hand the property prices over there and how they compare to the prices here. Not implying it's a fair comparison, however it's a case in point that might explain why Australian property is popular with foreigners.

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

I notice in the news today that Buffett is noted as saying he has loaded his elephant gun and has an itchy trigger finger. Is it rabbit season, or duck season? Hang on a second, I'll go ask Elmer Fudd.

http://www.news.com.au/business/warren-buffett-ready-for-more-takeovers/story-e6frfm1i-1226012749416

It is interesting though that he believes that this year will be "possessing a general business climate somewhat better than that of 2010, but weaker than that of 2005 or 2006"

– Steve

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

@reasons
    SteveMcKnight wrote:
    I notice in the news today that Buffett is notes as saying he has loaded his elephant gun and has an itchy trigger finger. Is it rabbit season, or duck season? Hang on a second, I'll go ask Elmer Fudd.

http://www.news.com.au/business/warren-buffett-ready-for-more-takeovers/story-e6frfm1i-1226012749416

It is interesting though that he believes that this year will be "possessing a general business climate somewhat better than that of 2010, but weaker than that of 2005 or 2006"

– Steve

Hi Steve

As Buffett takes big long term positions (for Berkshire anyway) he therefore does not worry about the short to mid term possibilities, 'cause he can't get out easily even if he wanted to.

The rest of us will eventually likely have to fight a fast reargard action against the Fed one way or the other inflation-wise once they are forced to stop printing and will need to be highly liquid and flexible if we want to protect our capital.

Buffett probably has as much idea and success in forecasting about what the year will bring us as the average economist

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

This one is good.

"Buffett, widely seen as one of the most savvy investors in the US, was bullish on the future of the US economy. "Money will always flow toward opportunity, and there is an abundance of that in America," he wrote."

Steve, you'll have good reason to smile.

Remains to be seen by us as well as internationally if there is opportunity in Oz. Gold is supposedly the biggest bubble atm people are still buying.

.com bubble happened but the internet is still here and there is money to be made via that medium.

Money is in the eye of the beholder.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of WynyardWynyard
    @wynyard

This article might be of interest: http://www.smh.com.au/business/cashing-in-on-the-boom-20110225-1b8ow.html

'The boom's effect of driving a high cost of living in Melbourne, including galloping property prices, is nominated by [Brian] McNamee as CSL's biggest challenge as it seeks the world's best and brightest. "The biggest challenge for us is the cost of living in Melbourne – housing," McNamee says.

"I think governments have to do something about housing. Our housing market is troubling to anyone you try to bring into Melbourne."

McNamee is not shy about possible solutions. He challenges one of Australia's great sacred cows: the expectation people can buy and sell their own homes without paying any capital gains tax.

"I think we have a tax system that grossly over-encourages investment in housing," he says. "Capital-gains-tax-free on housing is poor policy because, fundamentally, it over-encourages people to invest in their home disproportionately."'

I would like to hear your thoughts on such a strategy.

@reasons
    Wynyard wrote:

"I think governments have to do something about housing. Our housing market is troubling to anyone you try to bring into Melbourne."

McNamee is not shy about possible solutions. He challenges one of Australia's great sacred cows: the expectation people can buy and sell their own homes without paying any capital gains tax.

"I think we have a tax system that grossly over-encourages investment in housing," he says. "Capital-gains-tax-free on housing is poor policy because, fundamentally, it over-encourages people to invest in their home disproportionately."'

When I look at the extraordinarily high percentage of money most people have in property compared to other assets and what has effectively been a Govt. backed, risk-free, capital gains bet on property that successive Govts. have propagated, I think many of us probably have seen sense in his words for some time.

However, once you have misproportioned the bulk of people's wealth into a ponzi-like scheme, it is pretty hard to back it out and it will take a major event or an as yet unknown entity in Australia, namely a brave forward-thinking and planning Govt as the article indicated.

With a few notable exceptions, most politicians are about as astute an investor as the general public, which is logical, but sad (and definitely scarry) and not advantageous to Australia.

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew
    SteveMcKnight wrote:
    I notice in the news today that Buffett is notes as saying he has loaded his elephant gun and has an itchy trigger finger. Is it rabbit season, or duck season? Hang on a second, I'll go ask Elmer Fudd.

– Steve

My gut feeling is to avoid 80 year old mega billionaires with elephant guns. Regardless of the season.

Viewing 15 posts - 101 through 115 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.