All Topics / General Property / Useful Buffett Insight

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 115 total)
  • Profile photo of reasonsreasons
    @reasons

AussieHousePrices wrote:
    Hi Pharvie – you raised some good points – and I agree that price can trade within a tight range. Would you agree however, that it’s usually due to one of two reasons – either a) there’s not much interest or trading happening so not much price movement, or b) there’s a lot of interest but it’s a battle between bulls and bears. 
    We can definitely rule the first scenario with housing which has become a national obsession.  If then it’s the second scenario, there has to be an eventual winner between bulls and bears meaning prices cannot simply plateau for long.

Andy

Yep, I can broadly agree with those 2 points.

In answer to your question, a market like property will either go up or down after a sideways movement and tussle by the bulls and bears.

Many people on this forum (present company excepted) seem to want to be right and don't quite get the idea that investing is just about probability, and that means sometimes you will be wrong and need a plan to deal with that eventuality if you want to keep your capital in tact as much as possible. Psychology plays a big part in investing, but having to be right will do your head in and limit your success if you think that way.

There is a significant weight of evidence that most Australian non-commercial property owners are high risk taking capital gain speculators, and that includes single dwelling only home owners. Many have capital gains they need to survive in retirement.

There is no law that forbids owners from realising capital gains and if that got some momentum all on its own, you can look for all the external triggers you want, but at what point would you join the same queue instead of indignantly looking for reasons?

Fortunately, Australians will never have to worry about that risk because property in Australia only ever goes up, or inconveniently goes sideways sometimes, but then goes up again without fail.

Of course, if the complete impossible happened and property fell, Australian property owning group-think, high risk profile and missing contingency planning will likely not make the limited exit options orderly.

Be it an economic or self implosion rationale for property prices moving up or down, the discussion posted here as prompted by Steve's article is worth having, but like shares, its real value is realised if you can use the info as a leading indicator to take prior actiion.

Cheers

Profile photo of toetoe
    @toe
    AussieHousePrices wrote:
    I’m still not convinced.  You’re looking at the weighted average for 8 capital cities.  Is it possible that the plateau you’re seeing is really just an average of rising markets (such as Perth) and falling ones (such as Sydney)?

All flat line indices will contain both rising and falling markets within it. Even rising or falling markets contain instances of trend bucking, it would be a very unusual market that didn't. Still not convinced? Check out Google Images Search For 'Australian House Prices'. All the charts look the same as the one above.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi all,

I went to an open today (outer suburb Melb)

There were two main groups. Asian buyers (with what looked like buyers agent or intermediary) and retirees. The house was a larger style house on a big block. There were in excess of 20 groups inspecting. These two types made up the majority of people inspecting. 9 days on the market $530-$580 in an area where prices are generally around the $500 mark at best, with 1000 hits on the website.

SO what, you say, who cares.

Well it shows to me that if the traditional buyer group of families or singles are not buying, there are other buyers. The majority at this open were older people. The grey army has arrived, and they have lot's and lot's of super to throw at property. They were not buying for themselves as many of the were having trouble even using the stairs. (not to be rude, just true)

You tell me why prices in some parts of Melbourne haven't even remotely began to stagnate. I'm watching several suburbs in several areas and price brackets and I am not seeing even a hint of a drop. There isn't really even a slow sell as many properties are still selling in a 6 week period.

I'm intrigued. I want to know where the money is, and where it is coming from.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of ummesterummester
    @ummester
    DWolfe wrote:
    Hi all,

equity mate… or what's left of it.

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword

More to the point. Looking at the stock market (which isn't going anywhere in a hurry) and the property market (which people are saying is overpriced and set to crash), where the hell is all the smart money going?

What should we invest in? Pig's ears?

Profile photo of johnriskjohnrisk
    @johnrisk

Financial markets are not rational, this is what forms manic/bust cycles. No market is immune to these forces. Anyone overweight property in their portfolios should be very careful, as we are in the mania phase in aussie property IMO. The signs are obvious to anyone who is objective. Maximum public participation, easy money lending, low interest rates, low unemployment rates, properties being bid up for fear that they will rise even further in the near future, and the broad view that property is a bulletproof investment here in Australia. There are no sure things in financial markets.

@johnrisk

Smart money is and has been flowing into assets that will do well during inflation.

Participant
    @fword
    johnrisk wrote:
    Smart money is and has been flowing into assets that will do well during inflation.

<moderator: delete flame> Care to elaborate on what assets those might be?

It's well and fine for people to say, 'Oh, don't invest in this', or 'oh, don't invest in that either'. But certainly then, these people should then be able to say WHAT we should then consider investing in.

As in most cases however, people are more interested in looking for problems than finding solutions.

Profile photo of reasonsreasons
    @reasons
    fWord wrote:
    More to the point. Looking at the stock market (which isn't going anywhere in a hurry) and the property market (which people are saying is overpriced and set to crash), where the hell is all the smart money going?

What should we invest in? Pig's ears?

You can get 6.4% in plain old U-Bank at call account, over 7% if you go for a longer term term deposit and if you understand hybrids (bonds, etc) you can easily average +8% on low to medium risk with additional capital gains upside and more again for those higher risk entities like Healthscope at 11.25%. Some equities like commodities will still keep going up whilst uncle Ben Bernanke is printing money, and good money will still be made out of selected shares over the next ~6-8 months if one maintains an itchy exit trigger finger.

Using the Rule of 70, that means you can roughly double your money every 8.75 years at 8% (70/8). Of course most people don't look at diversifying into multiple asset options as you have to take the time to understand and manage them occassionally to ensure you get the required outcome. Everyone knows that property is risk-free and guaranteed to do the same thing without having to worry about too much really.

Of course if you can't find any investment that works financially for you, you don't have to do anything – sometimes you make more money that way.

Profile photo of mickjohnmickjohn
    @mickjohn
    fWord wrote:
    johnrisk wrote:

<moderator: delete flame> Care to elaborate on what assets those might be?

It's well and fine for people to say, 'Oh, don't invest in this', or 'oh, don't invest in that either'. But certainly then, these people should then be able to say WHAT we should then consider investing in.

As in most cases however, people are more interested in looking for problems than finding solutions.

Take a look at precious metals. smart money, maybe…. maybe not. alot of money…… yes.

Profile photo of toetoe
    @toe
    patriotsoldier wrote:
    Take a look at precious metals. smart money, maybe…. maybe not. alot of money…… yes.

Agree with precious metals. Since the world abandoned the gold standard the market has been scared off the world currency, USD on two occassions. Both times gold climbed to a price where the value of all gold in the US treasury was equal to the value of it's currency in circulation. If that happened again gold would go to $15k an ounce.

It's not just any old speculators that've been buying it either, the governments of South American, Asian and African emerging economies are seeking to hold more gold. Including India, and China which is mining its own gold.

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86
    DWolfe wrote:
    Hi all,

Well it shows to me that if the traditional buyer group of families or singles are not buying, there are other buyers. The majority at this open were older people. The grey army has arrived, and they have lot's and lot's of super to throw at property. They were not buying for themselves as many of the were having trouble even using the stairs. (not to be rude, just true)

You tell me why prices in some parts of Melbourne haven't even remotely began to stagnate. I'm watching several suburbs in several areas and price brackets and I am not seeing even a hint of a drop. There isn't really even a slow sell as many properties are still selling in a 6 week period.

D

Interesting post D- I personally think that the boom of SMSF and the ability to be able to borrow money in a SMSF to buy residential property will keep pushing prices higher.

Luke,

@johnrisk

Yes precious metals is an area that has done well, and the smart money entered 10yrs ago, holding until these metals are over valued (appropriate valuation of precious metals being on of the most misunderstood aspects of financial analysis).
    My  point is that smart money would not be buying large amounts of property relative to the rest of their portfolio at record high prices, when there are other undervalued assets that are being neglected by the public and institutional investors.

A bull market that has not significantly corrected since 1955 is certainly very mature, and betting on a rise in real value in the coming years just like the last would be foolish IMO, and also indicative of a very unhealthy market, as all healthy and free markets swing from being overvalued to undervalued, unless govt develops policy that undermines the health of a market, which has occurred here in the Australian residential property market. That being said there is a brutal inflationary problem developing globally, and those that measure asset prices incorrectly without accounting for the eroding purchasing power of the dollar or crucial money supply increases are not accurately assessing the market.

Financial market precidents are being smashed almost every month to the informed investor, not having respect for the magnitude of changes will be costly to many, remember a bull market makes everyone look good.

And fword, if you can`t figure out what an undervalued market looks like, then you will likely struggle making the right choice when it comes to re balancing your portfolio. You need to work to find solutions,  in light of an accurate assessment of the issues at hand. The question i have for you is why don't you know the answer to what investments would do well in inflationary environments?

Simple enough?

@johnrisk

SMSF rule changes have increased participation in the housing market, allowing another massive pool of funds to enter the

property market and prop up values, the bigger the bull, the bigger the bear, unless we re write the record books and have the first property market in history to never correct.

Participant
    @fword
    johnrisk wrote:
    Yes precious metals is an area that has done well, and the smart money entered 10yrs ago, holding until these metals are over valued (appropriate valuation of precious metals being on of the most misunderstood aspects of financial analysis).
    My  point is that smart money would not be buying large amounts of property relative to the rest of their portfolio at record high prices, when there are other undervalued assets that are being neglected by the public and institutional investors.

A bull market that has not significantly corrected since 1955 is certainly very mature, and betting on a rise in real value in the coming years just like the last would be foolish IMO, and also indicative of a very unhealthy market, as all healthy and free markets swing from being overvalued to undervalued, unless govt develops policy that undermines the health of a market, which has occurred here in the Australian residential property market. That being said there is a brutal inflationary problem developing globally, and those that measure asset prices incorrectly without accounting for the eroding purchasing power of the dollar or crucial money supply increases are not accurately assessing the market.

Financial market precidents are being smashed almost every month to the informed investor, not having respect for the magnitude of changes will be costly to many, remember a bull market makes everyone look good.

And fword, if you can`t figure out what an undervalued market looks like, then you will likely struggle making the right choice when it comes to re balancing your portfolio. You need to work to find solutions,  in light of an accurate assessment of the issues at hand. The question i have for you is why don't you know the answer to what investments would do well in inflationary environments?

Simple enough?

Maybe I'm getting this wrong, but are we then suggesting that precious metals were a good buy 10 years ago and they too, are now overvalued?

Maybe I'm young and foolish, which is why I have no idea what an undervalued market really looks like. Certainly, younger folks did not have the luxury of experiencing market rises and falls like some of those in our company have. Hence, I'm making a genuine enquiry: where is the smart money headed? So far, there have been a few answers as I can see above, and taking these on board.

But to say that 'smart money is and has been flowing into assets that will do well during inflation' is akin to somebody saying something to the effect that, 'To make a significant fortune in the property market, you need to buy a property that will outperform the market averages'.

The statement in itself has no value, not even worth the pixels it occupies on a screen. There has to be an elaboration to substantiate the point.

To make a general statement, my personal impression is that we can only make judgments about the market with the information that we currently have. Things that appear 'overvalued' or 'undervalued' to us now may certainly not be the same within the next few years, or even the next decade. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. If people were well and truly able to read the markets into which they have invested their money, they wouldn't be wasting time giving out information on these forums. They would be well-to-do, sitting on a beach in the Bahamas enjoying life. Or they would be otherwise busy trying to reach that goal.

Ultimately then, my opinion is that people are taking calculated risks, regardless of what they do, or where they put their money. Where there is chance of a gain, there is chance of a loss. The goal is the same. Everyone wants a slice of happiness. But in the end, I'm afraid, nobody really knows what investments will do well in the coming years. Of course, if you talked about something for long enough, it is bound to happen. Eventually there has to be a boom and a crash (or correction) in virtually every asset. But as the saying goes, the only certainties in life are death and taxes.

@johnrisk

Maybe I'm getting this wrong, but are we then suggesting that precious metals were a good buy 10 years ago and they too, are now overvalued?

I am not saying they are overvalued, valuation of precious metals would take many pages to explain and any simplistic explanation would be misleading, in a nutshell precious metals are rising because fiat currencies are being inflated and precious metals become more valuable as circulating currencies increase during the backdrop of a commodity cycle upswing. Investing in any commodity succesfully takes years of research and experience.

Maybe I'm young and foolish, which is why I have no idea what an undervalued market really looks like. Certainly, younger folks did not have the luxury of experiencing market rises and falls like some of those in our company have.

My advice to you is this, study the history of financial markets in as much depth as you can tolerate, specifically in terms of what is an approapriate percentage movement for any particular asset class, if an asset has moved up over a certain percentage, then it becomes riskier to enter, and the smart money has entered long before and is in the process of distributing into weaker hands. An example of this would be the oil market, over the last 11yrs there has been a 1000% advance in the price of crude, with the smart money buying in at 11-15 per barrel. Since then smart money has also re entered at the GFC low.

The smart money leave clues they cannot eliminate, which is indicated primarily in volume and accumulation patterns. Look to volume flows as a guide, sometimes these volume flows are simple to decipher, at other times more difficult.

A good example at the moment is the USD. Over the last year there have been record volumes flowing in and out of the USD that have not been seen in over 3 decades. Smart money is definitely active, but in this example it is difficult to decipher to outcome because the dollar is at such a pivotal point in terms of its long term value.

Another example is the fact that there is one person/institution that controls over 85% of the copper
     in the london metal exchange, look a the volumes in copper, they tell a story. This kind of activity is normally illegal, but is being permitted presently.
    IMO we are heading for a resource war and smart money is positioning itself. Other controlling interests are being held in Tin, and Nickel.

I am not suggesting anyone buy these commodites, all i am saying is that once we look at relative asset prices, one can find where smart money is positioning itself,

But I digress…

One if the most important markets to watch for housing investment is the bond market, but it rarely gets any mention,(bond markets historically do badly when there is inflation) anyone invested in property that is serious should understand global market risk, and right now it is at record levels, hence ongoing appeal of precious metals and other defensive assets.

Good luck

@johnrisk

Like i said, the aussie property market may be different, and may not experience distribution of strong to weak hands, but i would not bet on it with a large property portfolio, thats just my personal view. 
    Perhaps the distribution will occur with frequent shallow sell offs of less than 10% endlessly, but this is all speculation, history is littered with examples of bulletproof investments that have turned sour as a result of some unexpected event.
    Thats why i said earlier that markets are not rational, its all sentiment, and the sentiment here in oz is buy at any price one can afford

Right now
    property market is highly liquid and very well priced in oz by any valuation measure there is.
    People have to make their best judgement call as to the ongoing gain of investment properties going forward.

A large amount of this dicussion is academic however, if someone has 100 investment properties with no debt, i doubt they will lose any sleep over a correction in property prices, i speak purely from the point of view of asset classes most likely to increase substantially relative to property.

Profile photo of reasonsreasons
    @reasons
    fWord wrote:

… I'm making a genuine enquiry: where is the smart money headed? So far, there have been a few answers as I can see above, and taking these on board. But to say that 'smart money is and has been flowing into assets that will do well during inflation' is akin to somebody saying something to the effect that, 'To make a significant fortune in the property market, you need to buy a property that will outperform the market averages'.

The statement in itself has no value, not even worth the pixels it occupies on a screen. There has to be an elaboration to substantiate the point.

Actually johnrisk kind of pointed it out, the best investment strategies are usually very simple, but the knoweldge behind that simplicity is complex and it is time consuming writing stuff if no-one reads or understands it anyway. But you are at least asking better questions and following up a challenge; few are doing that here.

That will sound like a cop out, but if you get nothing else out of this forum, spend time and money on your financial education and learn that investing is all about probability, risk strategies, psychology and darn hard work. At the end of the day it will become boring and repetitive (and the more boring and repetitive the more likely you are to be successful) and you will make good money over a long time not a short time.

By the way, it is better to start when you are young as it takes about 10,000 hours to learn a new trade or profession and even then you don't stop. I have a mentor in his 70's and he is still learning new stuff after 40 years of investing.

fWord wrote:
    But in the end, I'm afraid, nobody really knows what investments will do well in the coming years. Of course, if you talked about something for long enough, it is bound to happen.

You are on the right track, but if you want to be successful you must take action at some point. And as it is probability based action, to do that successfully you need to develop your financial intelligence on multiple fronts, not just property.

Anyone who is a successful investor has spent a LOT of money on their education over time and that has often come in the form of bad timing or bad calculations whilst learning as well as paying for books (lots of books), courses (lots of courses) and mentoring if you like the options available and of course lots of market experience where the rubber meets the road.

An interesting thing about successful investing psychology is that because you are always dealing with probability, you know sometimes you will be wrong. You actually have to like losing money, but only carefully predetermined amounts of it.

To be blunt (and you alluded to it), my guess is you will not learn much in this forum as most successful investors will not spend time here as there is not much in it for them unless they believe they are assisting. You will be quite surprised how successful people at all levels of investing will give you their time freely if you approach it the right way; and more so when it becomes reciprocal.

I may or may not be a successful investor (opinion care factor = zero), but I have been a member here since 2008 and the past few days is the first time I have bothered to post, but Steve’s article interested me, and I will disappear again very soon as it is too time consuming and I perceive limited reciprocal outcomes.

Everyone has an opinion about investing and wealth; ABS and many other stats show few take the time to acquire the required knowledge and experience.

Hang in there.

Participant
    @fword
    johnrisk wrote:
    The smart money leave clues they cannot eliminate, which is indicated primarily in volume and accumulation patterns. Look to volume flows as a guide, sometimes these volume flows are simple to decipher, at other times more difficult.

A good example at the moment is the USD. Over the last year there have been record volumes flowing in and out of the USD that have not been seen in over 3 decades. Smart money is definitely active, but in this example it is difficult to decipher to outcome because the dollar is at such a pivotal point in terms of its long term value.

This is a concept that I'm somewhat familiar with, because when I was very young with very little savings, things started off with shares and I still have some of it. There was a book that I read many years ago titled 'How to Make Money in Stocks' by William O'Neil. It was an interesting read, and I got through the bulk of it before loaning it to a friend, who promptly lost it for me. Once again I put it down to inexperience, but I found the market far easier to read in the past compared to say, the past 8-12 months leading up to today. These days the stock market is frighteningly volatile, and I guess the number of global events, disasters, etc has played a significant role in determining the downswings, which to a large extent have not been predictable.

But on that note I certainly understand that in some circumstances it is possible to read the charts and watch for the price vs volume movements and to make a judgment call from there. Shares are easy because the charts are easily available. Property is a different matter it seems, and I have yet to dip my toes into commodities, although I would certainly like to try my hand in it at some stage.

Then again, I gather it would be difficult to be successful to be a 'jack of all trades, master of none' when it comes to investing. Perhaps time could be better spent just targeting two or just three different kinds of investment.

Participant
    @fword
    pharvie wrote:

An interesting thing about successful investing psychology is that because you are always dealing with probability, you know sometimes you will be wrong. You actually have to like losing money, but only carefully predetermined amounts of it.

This statement is very true, and humorous in a very dark sort of way. Admittedly I have lost money in investing as well, however the amount I have subsequently gained (monetary, self-discipline and just a little experience) is always worth the ride. Certainly I'm very glad to have started out early in life and that much I'm very thankful for.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.