All Topics / Help Needed! / Property Investing Mentors are they worth it?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of TiffanyGTiffanyG
    @tiffanyg

Hi,

Since I’m just starting out in property investment, and not really sure where to begin, I was considering signing up with Destiny Financial Solutions, however just wanted some feedback if any…. They charge 4900AUD to join their 12 month program which involves techniques from Margaret Lomas to narrow down locations. They seem to be focused mainly on buying houses around the 350k mark.

Are there other companies who offer a mentoring service which you recommend? And are they worth the price you pay? The guy said something about investment software, not sure what that is though so any feedback on that would be great!

Thanks and sorry for the million questions!

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

Hi Tiffany,

I would suggest RESULTS Mentoring, which is marketed through this site would probably be a better option. I'm sure you can get feedback from a lot of people on here who have been through their program.

Regards
    Alistair

Profile photo of tigermigertigermiger
    Participant
    @tigermiger

Hi Tiffany,

I am a newbie as well and have been following this site for a few months now and have since learnt quite alot.
    Also reading various books and magzines has/ is very helpful.

I've noticed that Steve McKnight has a two investor breifing comming up and Terry Rider has a "First steps to becomming a property investor' seminar. I am quite intersted in attending – what are peoples thoughts?

Profile photo of SAS BuildingSAS Building
    @sas-building

I keep saving up to attend… but each time i have a spare 5 – 10k, I end up putting it towards another property !!
    Having said that, Im up to 18 properties and still have to go to "work" for a living, so maybe i could learn from these seminars..

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    TiffanyG wrote:
    Hi,

Since I’m just starting out in property investment, and not really sure where to begin, I was considering signing up with Destiny Financial Solutions, however just wanted some feedback if any…. They charge 4900AUD to join their 12 month program which involves techniques from Margaret Lomas to narrow down locations. They seem to be focused mainly on buying houses around the 350k mark.

Are there other companies who offer a mentoring service which you recommend? And are they worth the price you pay? The guy said something about investment software, not sure what that is though so any feedback on that would be great!

Thanks and sorry for the million questions!

Hi Tiffany

It might be worthwhile purchasing/borrowing a couple of Margaret’s books. You’ll probably be surprised by how much you’ll learn just from getting through a few of those. It would also be a fair bit cheaper than forking out $5k.

I’m not sure what the company offers – but there’s plenty of free resources available to new investors. Forums like this are a great example.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of WPCWPC
    @wpc

Hi Tiffany,

I've personally taken part in some of these courses and they are worth it in terms of keeping you focused and accountable (whilst your under their wing) and you usually get a few really good tips and tricks to get you started.   A more cost effective place to start is to do what Jamie said and that's to hire out as many books on property investing as possible.  If you go to your public library you should find a whole heap there, or go to ebay.com for a lot of secondhand or even new books.  I've personally got a bookshelp FULL of these sorts of books and the good thing is that the authors usually write about the same stuff they teach in these expensive courses.  Some great authors are:
    Steve McKnight
    Margaret Lomas
    Jan Somers
    Anita Bell

…to just name a few.  Like I said, I have a whole bunch of these so if you'd like we can work out a way to have you borrow/buy them from me.  Send me a private message if your interested.

Participant
    @jamie-m
    WPC wrote:
    or go to ebay.com for a lot of secondhand or even new books.

That’s a really good point. Ebay is full of lots of cheap second hand IP books. A couple of years back I managed to pick up 5 IP books for $10! I thought I was only bidding on a Lomas book (that was the photo used in the description). A week later, a parcel with the Lomas book and 4 others arrived :)

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of DHCPDHCP
    @dhcp
    WPC wrote:
    …. the good thing is that the authors usually write about the same stuff they teach in these expensive courses.  .

I' agree 100% on this. Having spend amost $1K on books, multimillionaire property investors theology could be easily picked up from their published books. Why? Because, their experiences as investors (i.e., the good, the bad and the ugly) all are written in their published books including their investment strategies. You just got to spent a lot of time reading them…a small price to pay compare with $5K.

Yesterday, I've encouraged Michael Yardney to produce Audiobook for his future project via email because. I told him about the market for this: there are millions of investors out there to commute by cars, train etc., which provide them the opportunity to listen while driving or on the train etc.  When he replied, in his own words via email  "It is about time I will produce one".

Some books are cater for beginners, others for advance such as Lomas. You could also purchase a digital voice recorder for under $70 bucks…record your voice while reading the books…you can then play it repeatedly until the ideas sunk in.

Must to read, by authors

• Julian Dawson
    • Michael Yardney
    • John Fitzgerald

All the best mate.

Profile photo of cturner22cturner22
    Participant
    @cturner22

Hi Tiffany

I too am a newbie. Books as named above are fantastic, do a search of the internet I found so much free info on the net. I have also attended a few free seminars – however have not splashed out dollarson the spruiking at the end. Having said that I believe that mentoring does have its place. I would suggest that you take some time – search the net, library, ebay & then you can make an informed decision regarding a mentor. I am about to join iclub, Im happy to outlay the $ for the additional info that may save me lots of $ in mistakes

Good luck

Profile photo of Charles 1Charles 1
    Participant
    @charles-1
    DHCP wrote:
    Yesterday, I've encouraged Michael Yardney to produce Audiobook for his future project via email because. I told him about the market for this: there are millions of investors out there to commute by cars, train etc., which provide them the opportunity to listen while driving or on the train etc. 

Great idea Leo
    I would prefer them as mp3 and listen to on my Iphone not just in the car – bit it’s really the same thing.

In light of what you said wonder whether Michael Yardney will produce his new book in an audio book – I just read about it in his newsletter and am about to buy it on line – sounds like an interesting read with Ed Chan and 2 other experts, http://www.financialfluency.com.au/

As I said I’m buying it and I’ll let you know what I think of it

Profile photo of DHCPDHCP
    @dhcp
    Charles 1 wrote:
      In light of what you said wonder whether Michael Yardney will produce his new book in an audio book – I just read about it in his newsletter and am about to buy it on line – sounds like an interesting read with Ed Chan and 2 other experts,

Hey Charles 1,
    I told him via email yesterday, that there is a market for Audiobook here (in the US, such product is standard). Also, I reminded him that I converted his one of his recent book "How to built a multi million dollar portforlio in your spare time" into an Audiobook using a digital voice recorder  in MP3 format, then transferred the MP3 files into CD-RW so I can add onto them and listen onto them repeatedly while driving to work (great way to master his strategies).  I must have fired him up, since he is contemplating to produce one in his next project. There is a posibility that he could produce an Audiobook from his latest book,  I cannot see  why not, after all he can afford it  :-). Are you attending his up and coming seminar?

Participant
    @jamie-m

Geeze Leo, I hope you’re hitting him up for consultancy fees :)

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Charles 1Charles 1
    Participant
    @charles-1
    DHCP wrote:
    Are you attending his up and coming seminar?

Yes Leo I’m going.

I’ve been to a few of his and they are always good value. Sure there’s some content repeated but I always get a distinction or two and learn some new stuff. And he’s been pretty right in what he’s said.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.