All Topics / Help Needed! / Plans of Subdivision

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of slamdunkslamdunk
    Participant
    @slamdunk

Hi All,

I'm thinking of subdividing a block of land into 2 units. A draftsman gave me a quote which included price for PLANS OF SUBDIVISION which he didn't explain much. All he said was the land surveyor needs these plans.

1. What things are actually shown on these plans and how many different views/pages are there (for 2 units) ?

2. Is there any engineer involved? If so who?

3. Does anyone has full list of docs and names of plans required from planning permit, building and subdivision stage?

This is my first project. Please forgive my ignorance.

Thanks!

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Great spam Rachel.

Hi slamdunk, welcome.

The plan of subdivision is the land subdivision. This shows where the land will be split, common property such as driveways and storage etc. This plan of subdivision is then submitted to the titles office which registers the new titles for each unit. This is done as well as the town planning drawings.

You generally have preliminary plans for town planning, town planning drawings that are submitted showing elevations and the floor plans etc. You then get a planning permit, a building permit (if you are intending to build) and working drawings for your builder to follow. When the units are finished you get a certificate of occupancy and a certificate of compliance which means you have done everything right. The plan of subdivision is done whenever you want but it must be stamped and lodged with the titles office before you can sell them. 

Get a hold of the API small development guide and Ron Forlee's book (you can get them from Business Mall online) on residential development. Don't be afraid to ask more questions of your draftsman etc. Ask them to explain the process and if they can talk you through each stage. You are paying, you can ask as many questions as you like.

Good luck, hope this helps a little.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of The ImmigrantThe Immigrant
    @the-immigrant

Plan of subdivision is usually done by the land surveyor. But besides that, most council won't allow you to subdivide until you have a planning permit first. This is to make sure that you will actually build on the subdivided land. And it is better to do that anyway because what's the use of subdividing it if you don't have a planning permit so you can build.

Profile photo of carollokcarollok
    Participant
    @carollok
    novusprimo wrote:
    Plan of subdivision is usually done by the land surveyor. But besides that, most council won't allow you to subdivide until you have a planning permit first. This is to make sure that you will actually build on the subdivided land. And it is better to do that anyway because what's the use of subdividing it if you don't have a planning permit so you can build.

there’s a way to get around though, is to request a specific planning permit be included on the permit, so that you can subdivide and sell prior to construction of dwellings

Profile photo of michaelandre70michaelandre70
    @michaelandre70

Good post. Thanks to DWolfe for sharing the information in details. I agree with you on the note of asking as much question as possible to the draftsman. You should clear all your doubts and have a clear idea about what is going around before proceeding.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.