All Topics / Overseas Deals / Using Superannuation to purchase US property

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of alligallig
    Participant
    @allig

Has anyone used their Super to buy investment property in the USA?  With the current rate of super funded growth compared to potential property growth seems like a far better option, particularly given their current market and what you can purchase property for over there.

Would love to hear from anyone who has gone down this path and any thoughts / ideas you can offer.

cheers allig 

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

Im guessing your talking about a SMFS.

I haven’t tried this, but i dont think it;s possible as well?? because;

Every purchase needs to be authorized by your Accountant and the Financial planner of the SMFS – and i doubt any of them will allow this lol :(

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Sorry Michael but i have to disagree.

The investment decision making of the fund is set by the Trustees and not the Accountant / Financial Planner and whether such an investment can be made is outlined in the Investment strategy normally set up with the original Trust Deed.

Certainly a member might take advice from an Accountant / Financial Planner.  

I own property overseas in my SMSF (In the Uk admitedly not the USA) and have done for years and such investment has never caused a problem on the Annual audit. 

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

Fair enough….i learn something new everyday :)

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

It is definitely possible. Steve McKnight is using a SMSF to buy USA foreclosure property as well.

Cheers,
    Luke

Profile photo of jeff2investUSAjeff2investUSA
    @jeff2investusa
    Qlds007 wrote:

Sorry Michael but i have to disagree.

The investment decision making of the fund is set by the Trustees and not the Accountant / Financial Planner and whether such an investment can be made is outlined in the Investment strategy normally set up with the original Trust Deed.

Certainly a member might take advice from an Accountant / Financial Planner.  

I own property overseas in my SMSF (In the Uk admitedly not the USA) and have done for years and such investment has never caused a problem on the Annual audit. 

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard,
    From what I understand the SMSF is considered a trust by USA and when setting up a trust in the USA, this is were it can be complicated, I have 2 accountants in Sydney who understand whats involved in setting up LLC’s who cannot give me advise on the trust implications in the USA. How does the UK see a SMSF re tax purposes?

Has anyone used there SMSF to buy property in the USA ? If so how was the trust set up to pay tax….it is a perplexing question as these accountants know there stuff

Jeff

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.