All Topics / Help Needed! / subdivision/multi unit development in Banyule?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of limefroggylimefroggy
    @limefroggy

Hi,
    I found his forum in a google search on help with subdivisions. I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice as I am a total newbie to property development.
    We own 2 houses in Banyule which are next door to each other. The combined frontage is 101 feet and the depth is 126 feet. The blocks have 8 ft easements running through the back. i have spoken to a council planner about possibly subdividing the 2 blocks into 3 and selling as is, with plans. The planner said we have to engage the services of a draftsperson or architect and provide plans for their approval as they will not subdivide unless there are plans. This is all ok but should I be looking for a drafting/design company or someone who does the whole lot from start to build. Also what is a reasonable cost for this? I have no idea!

Research to date tells me it will cost around $30 000 if I get a town planning type company to do it from start (feasability study), to the point where I can start building if I want to.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Profile photo of limefroggylimefroggy
    @limefroggy

Is there anyone who has some expertise in this area?  I'd appreciate any advice.

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

Hi Limefroggy,

I do quite a bit of work within Banyule and their requirements are of course much the same as the other municipalities. What you are proposing is not unusual, although it may in fact be under-utilising the land in planning terms.

The advice sought and received, and the decisions made, early in the process are vital. Before you spend too much time and money there are a couple of things I believe you should do, or get someone to do on your behalf:

• Ascertain if there are any planning issues, covenants, overlays or physical constraints that will preclude you from subdividing the land.
    • Do some basic feasibility work to establish that it is indeed financially viable.
    • Consider several options for the use of the land. Keep your options open.

In getting to a position whereby you can actually sell the land and make some money, there are quite a few hoops for you to jump through. There's concepts and feasibility work to make sure it works and is worthwhile; then some development of those concepts and liaison with the municipal planners; formalisation of the process by way of a formal town planning permit application for the development and/or subdivision of the land. Along the way this will also mean some surveying work, basic hydraulics, traffic management and landscaping must be considered.

Ultimately, the TPP is your currency, and at the point at which you have your TPP you can decide whether you wish to sell the land with its attendant permissions, or to complete the subdivision, fencing, hard works and landscaping and sell the parcels individually and complete.

I hope that's useful information, and good luck with the project.

@limefroggy

thanks Christianb. I am in the process of gathering information before acting as I am the type of person who likes to know what to expect every step of the way.

Profile photo of markh3084markh3084
    Participant
    @markh3084

Hi Limefroggy

you could try MBS (Metro Building Services) in Ivanhoe.They offer a full service for all the permits etc. You would still have to find a draughtsperson / architect tho.

regards

Mark

@limefroggy

thanks Markh3084. I will call them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.