All Topics / Creative Investing / Pssst! Want to buy a school or hospital? Going Cheap

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Something that I didn't pick up on recently with the proposed rezoning of some of our municipality to medium density was the proposal to dump the 'Special Purposes' zoning and to replace this with 'appropriate' adjoining zonings.

This means that Schools, Libraries, Carparks, railway land, police/ambulance/fire stations etc (ie government land) will be rezoned.

Public Land Rezoning

This change has many implications both to developers and to the public. Do you want your school's playground/local library etc sold off without public comment for a rezoning?

Ah! the joys of living in NSW.

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

Can we please get a new state government!!!!!

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

I dont know whether any Melbourne readers realise this but I see this already here. We had a wonderful working Royal Melbourne Showgrounds and they cut off a large chunk as VIP parking for the Flemington Racecourse. We had great areas close to the MCG where people could kick a football, now relegated to practise courts for the tennis arena. We had a world class exhibition centre in Carlton with world class gardens, and they scooped up a large section of that for a below par Museum complex.

I'm all for better usage of public facilities and land use, but some of these short term moneymakers bite into assets and benefits which cost us long term. Melbourne is a very utility rich, friendly city. I would hate to see people excreting dollars out of prime irreplaceable assets.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.