All Topics / General Property / Port Lincoln

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of steve edmondssteve edmonds
    @steve-edmonds

I am a property investor who builds and holds property in regional areas. I usually buy vacant land to build a duplex or  buy and rennovate an existing house with large subdividable land. I have been looking at Port Lincoln a was wondering if anyone had some advice about this market? Is there good rental demand? Are the building costs high? Are capital gains reliable? 

I have looked at larger lots and some small single dwelling community title lots close to the marina.

Thanks

Profile photo of GeraldineMGeraldineM
    @geraldinem

Hi Steve.

I just came across your question as we have offered on a property in Port Lincoln on large land, etc.
    My partner has family over there so I have been watching the area off and on over the last 20+ years.
    My feeling is that there is currently a sense of vitality in the town, with Coles and Woolworths doing
    big expansions.  The hospital has also been granted funds for a big upgrade. Previously the town was
    known as having a very high income per capita, due to the fishing industry, but now seems to be
    gaining from the good times farmers are recently experiencing.  There is also the flow-on from
    mining exploration further north, which is helping local businesses and employment, although Port
    Lincoln seems keen to avoid any pollution from mining in the town.

My opinion is that Port Lincoln has been more expensive in relation to Adelaide prices than it is now.
    It seems as though outlying smaller towns such as Tumby Bay have had massive price growth but Port
    Lincoln hasn't kept up (it was relatively higher, so they have definately caught up).  I think there is room for
    future growth there as things have been flat and then falling for the last 12 months. The population is
    slowly growing.

Personally I like the Kirton Point area, as opposed to the northern traditionally pricier section of the town
    and the southern ritzy marina.  Kirton Point is elevated, with lovely sea views everywhere, is heading toward
    the marina and has enormous blocks that can be subdivided.  Property managers told me there is a 0.5
    rental vacancy, and realestate.com statistics mention a 4:1 ratio of people looking per ad.

Although it is a bit remote for supervising, it has the benefit of being a beautiful sea-side location where people
    would enjoy living. We are looking at it as a long term, buy/hold then subdivide strategy.

Good luck,
    G

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.