All Topics / General Property / Investing into Display Home with 7% – 8% leaseback for 2 – 3 years

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of microchip78microchip78
    Participant
    @microchip78

Hi Experts,

I was looking for Investment Property in Melbourne, and I come across a deal from one of the famous builder about buying a display home with lease back option.

It sounds great with 7% – 8% lease back for 2 – 3 years and sell it just before lease back is about to finish …

Does anyone have any experience, idea or thought about investing into Display Home as IP?

Any Pros and Cons? Any catches? Anything need to think before considering this?

How about finance?

Anything is worth sharing …

Thanks in advance …

Profile photo of insanoinsano
    Participant
    @insano

Bump*

I've been pounding the payment recently checking out the new display village in my area and heard "this one's for sale" more then a few times.

Anyone got any experience with these, some with a 9% return over 2 yrs with option to lease further ect…..

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

You need to be very careful to make sure the price of the property has not been inflated to cover the cost of the lease back arrangement. I would also say that 9% on a fully (over) priced property is good value for money.

Display homes are often placed on the estates access roads and can subject to noise and traffic.

Participant
    @insano

Thanks Derek, good points obviously lots of due diligence required before making such a purchase.

I like your armchair investments too, if only I had more capital to be able to cover in entry with lots of breathing space :)

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon

I cant see it been financially viable to buy this house and sell it in three years.  The transaction costs will most probably kill that notion dead in the water.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Finance may be more restrictive for this sort of thing too. eg. Suncorp would lmit this to 80% LVR

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

You need to make sure that you are not overpaying for the property. At the end of the day the builder can put any rent on the property that they like. The issue is what will the property be worth in 2 or 3 years time. Do you due diligence very carefully

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of JamesParnwellJamesParnwell
    @jamesparnwell

Finance can be very difficult to get for a Display Home. Many lenders exclude them completely!

Participant
    @insano

Cheers!

Saw on the news or similar last night that low doc loans are popping up again, an elderly couple on $23k annually was offered a loan for $850k with a $7k/moth repayment lol

Peter Switzer was commenting on them coming back through some dodgy brokers fudging numbers to get high loans through…. and some banks offering 97% lvr

Still toying with the display home idea, as an investment for a few years then converting it to our PPOR

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    insanowayno wrote:
    Saw on the news or similar last night that low doc loans are popping up again, an elderly couple on $23k annually was offered a loan for $850k with a $7k/moth repayment lol

Peter Switzer was commenting on them coming back through some dodgy brokers fudging numbers to get high loans through…. and some banks offering 97% lvr

You got a link to that story?

As far as I know the imposition of the NCCP was about protecting consumers from such lending practices. Given NCCP is supervised by ASIC any lenders/brokers party to loans of that magnitude should be very nervous.

Be interesting to hear from one of our resident brokers.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

They have to be insured differently too as the tenant is commercial, not residential.

I looked into such a purchase once, in a half-hearted manner.  Bank went out and valued it WAY below asking price.  Enough said.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Have to agree with Derek Lodoc as we used to know it is a thing of the distant past.

ALL lenders require on a lodoc loan either Accountants confirmation / BAS / Trading statements or a combination of all 3 / all.

There is no such thing as a self declaration without ANY form of income verification even at a very low lvr.

Any Broker fudging figures deserves to get the full force of NCCP down upon him.

In relation to finance for a display home it can be done but restricted number of lenders.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel

Richard, if some one took out a lodoc loan in the past did they ever have trouble with the ATO afterwards? It’s kind of risky saying you declare x amount when you really earn a lot more then your stating.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.