All Topics / Commercial Property / Motel First Time Prospecting Buying & Operating Lease or Freehold Questions

Viewing 11 posts - 21 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Profile photo of jphothjphoth
    @jphoth

Hi
    My partner and i have just had an offer accepted on a Freehold motel in regional NSW. 20 rooms, restaurant and liquor license. Does anyone have an idea of the legal costs for completing the transaction. I have been quoted $4K and was wondering is this about right….thx

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi JPHoth
    Valuation between $3-$5K.
    Legals $3-5K.
    Lots depends on how smooth the banks move.
    Stock at value incl all liquor, food, room amenities, equipment maybe.
    Allow for settlement adjustments for all utilities, subscriptions, ads, rates.
    Some slow payers like wotif only settle 16th every month, expect loose ends.
    We’re still sorting out loose ends 6 months later, nightmare issues, dream vendor, so it pays to maintain friendly relationships.
    It’s a really long handover list these days depending on how many booking sources are involved.
    Tech stuff includes domain names, websites, ISPs, email addresses, forward bookings, debtors, eftpos machines, ins, workers comp.
    Start your list and leave plenty of room.
    Hope it runs smooth for you.
    Cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of jphothjphoth
    @jphoth

Thanks for that thecrest – most helpful.

Participant
    @thecrest

Hi jphoth.
    Would you mind posting an update here later n let us know how your sale is progressing ?
    cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Participant
    @thecrest

Hi JPHoth.

Can you update us on your purchase and how it's going ?

Hope it's a success.

Cheers

thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Participant
    @thecrest

Good opportunity right now to assess how heavy weather affects motel properties for sale. Those unable to get flood insurance are at risk, according to the insurance companies.

If the motel is not covered for flood, then any interruption to business  or any other event attributable to flood is not covered. 

You wonder why some ppl ignore getting insurance. If the SES closes an area in case of flood, you can't claim interruption to business unless you're covered for flood, even if the event was a fizzer.

Not a fan of insurance companies, must be a huge club by now, and growing.

Cheers

thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of ColdeskimoColdeskimo
    Participant
    @coldeskimo

Has anyone come across a vendor wanting to disproportionately sell the building and the business. We have come across a vendor wishing to sell the property for 95% of the sale value and the remainder for the business. This places us in a few tricky areas 1. Higher stamp duty, 2. Minimal relief on future sale if using small business concessions. If there are ways around this please let me know as this is a deal breaker for us.

thanks.

Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Coldeskimo.

Sorry to be adding something so long afterwards, just found this question.

Obviously one for a good accountant. ATO may watch activity in this area carefully so best to get it right.

Cheers

thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of trungtrung
    Participant
    @trung

Thank you thecrest for being so helpful to us.
    I’m looking 2 potential motels in the Mt Beauty town ( Tawonga), could u please give us ur personal opinion
    freehold deal, no chain
    1) location: situated in kiewa valley, mt beauty (Tawonga), victoria;31 km to fall creeks
    2) facility: 2 acr land, 32 room, swimming pool + sauna; there s a restaurant can serve rougly 100 ppl
    3) they re offering at $1M

My main concern is their performance during low season, cuz mt beauty is famous for ski activities, what happen when winter is gone. Either way, ur opinion is much appreciated

Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Trung.
    Seasonal areas depend on a good season. Snow area businesses in the Mt Beauty area face this every year so they may be a source of info. Check the snowfall charts for the last 50 years, as well as ABS occupancy graphs for your area. Examine the off season figures carefully to see if they could sustain you. 32 rooms + restaurant could do buses especially in the off season. Talk to the banker who is currently financing it. Read the last AAA report (SRA – now called Star Ratings Australia) for lots of details and recommendations. A valuation would be vital. Check the local price of 2 comparable acres of land. Any recent motel sales ? Check with LPI to see how much it was last sold for. Lots of detailed homework necessary. Start digging.
    Let me know if I can help when you have some specific info.
    Cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of howie05howie05
    Participant
    @howie05

Hello out there just wondering if anyone is interested in using this thread to keep in touch any updates , deals going etc
    We posted way back in 2011 and just wondering how people are going now
    cheers

Viewing 11 posts - 21 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.