All Topics / Help Needed! / Renting out your PPOR

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of zance19zance19
    @zance19

Hi, I'm a newbie here. Hope someone can help me with this :)

I bought a house to live in 3 years ago in QLD and now need to move for work for a year or 2. I rented it out to one my relative, knowing that they will take care of the place while I'm gone and they got cheaper rent :). The rent covers the interest rates and I will cover the land tax. I know about the 6 years PPOR rule recently and think it will help me to reduce the tax. Would anyone know if I need to fill out any form or just talk to my accountant at the end of the year ? Thanks in advance :)

Zance

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Zance19

Welcome to the forum.

You should be able to just discuss the arrangement with your accountant when lodging your end of year return. They will be able to work out what your deductable expenses were for the period in which it became an IP.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

Yes you will need to claim this money at the end of year tax return. As you are receiving income from the property you need to include that in your tax return. Your accountant will know the income you have to report and also ask you accountant about the deductions you can claim so hopefully you don't have to pay a lot of extra tax.

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of zance19zance19
    @zance19

Thanks for helping guys. Cheers.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.