All Topics / Help Needed! / interest only loan v’s interest and principal loan

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Profile photo of propertyinfopropertyinfo
    @propertyinfo
    Terryw wrote:
    propertyinfo wrote:
    Interesting reading here, thanks everyone for their posts. I have an example here where I think it shows the advantage of an offset account:

Me: 100 000 cash, no properties owned
    Buy first house as holiday house (say 200,000 to buy), put 20,000 deposit, 80,000 in interest only offset account

– – -2 years later- – –

Buy second house as residence, move 80,000 to my new mortgage (PPOR), and rent out holiday house as a full time rental (20,000 left on investment property).

In this example is an offset account with interest only the way to go?  Assuming I will buy an investment first and PPOR second, it seems this my best option.  Happy to hear some comments though.

Are there any drawbacks for this method?  Can the holiday house still purchased outright the same way or are there catches with the IO offset account?

Also, can the offset account be used to 'tune' the repayments to match rental income? 
    ie – holiday house mode: low rental income/high deposit/low repayments
        – full time rental mode: high rental income/low deposit/high repayments

I assume that i could change from holiday mode to full time rental (or vice versa) at any time?  Would this be possible?

Any advice would be greatly welcomed

Offset account and IO would be the way to go. As you say when you buy a new house you just take the money in your offset account with you to the new one.

The only time I wouldn't recommend this set up is if you are temped to spend money lying around in your account. But even then you should not have PI on an investment if you still have personal debt.

Thanks for the info Terry.  I spoke with a broker about the situation above, and he said to consider a PI loan vs IO+offset, but based on my knowledge (limited) i can't see an advantage of PI for this situation.  Is anybody able to explain the pros & cons for each in this case?

Profile photo of Blank FrankBlank Frank
    Participant
    @blank-frank
    Jamie M wrote:
    Blank Frank wrote:
    Interest Only can be fixed or at a variable rate.  Can you get an Interest Offset account with a fixed interest loan In Australia?

Yep, sure can.

Cheers

Jamie

CBA doesn’t.

St George doesn’t.

Westpac has IO with 100% offset but no ability to fix the rate.

Aussie doesn’t.

ANZ has it for 12-month cycles.

You sound confident….

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Off the top of my head, try Adelaide Bank Frank.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Blank FrankBlank Frank
    Participant
    @blank-frank
    Jamie M wrote:
    Off the top of my head, try Adelaide Bank Frank.

Cheers

Jamie

Darndest thing…there is evidence that Adelaide did until 17 Oct 2010 (with a rate of 6.93% slobber)…then they got bought by Bendigo who seem to have never heard of any such thing…they have bad website however, so there is a faint hope that it is just not listed.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi again Frank

Check out this website – first paragraph. Hopefully that helps -http://brokers.adelaidebank.com.au/public/home_loans_ss.html

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.