All Topics / General Property / How much are you prepared to pay for an IP?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

I come across several properties every month which could make great ip’s or development sites. Some within my budget others well above. Obviously, it depends on the area but who would pay $1.2-$1.8m for an ip in Sydney? (residential or commercial).

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

I wouldn't be comfortable with that sort of purchase. I like to spread the risk a bit – I'd take that cash and buy multiple properties at a lower price.

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword

Depends, I guess. It is conceivable that a well-heeled investor (or even a couple) may buy the house with the intention to move in eventually (ie. buying a 'dream house' early to 'lock in' at the price they can still afford), but rent it out initially to get the loan repayments down to a manageable level before moving in.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Median price around my way is around $1.5m, % of rentals vs owner occupied is only slightly lower than average. So there are investors (obviously not FHB or avg wage earners in the area).

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Scott

What would be the average rent around that area?

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

You’d be pretty hard pushed to find anything below $750 pw & @ the other end up to $3k+ pw

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi Scott,

Interesting, that is similar to prices around my stomping ground. The higher end taps out rent wise at about $1500 pw and it has to be schmick for that.

There seems to be a few people buying for future ppor, don't have kids now but in future want to live in the area and are getting in now.

We were actually talking about looking at some of the areas hit by the GFC and getting our hands on something now while the price is sort of down.

It's interesting, if the numbers worked on a development site (and I was up there to work it) it'd be worthwhile, I think 1.2 and up is out of many peoples line of sight for an IP.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of fredo_4305fredo_4305
    Participant
    @fredo_4305

Some of those properties could have been bought some time ago as ppor and now an IP or just a straight out IP.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.