All Topics / Overseas Deals / Property in the USA

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)
  • Profile photo of SavSav
    Participant
    @sav

Hello everyone…………information needed……..if you purchase a property in the usa. Which country do you declare your tax benefits from??? Im from Australia…………

Profile photo of speedy gonzalesspeedy gonzales
    @speedy-gonzales

Sav,

If the property and rental income is located in the USA then you must lodge tax returns with the IRS. The owner will claim expenses against earning the rental income including building depreciation on your US tax return.

You will also complete the tax returns in Australia like normal (as an Aussie taxpayer you need to declare worldwide income) but any tax already paid in the USA is given as a credit so you don’t get hit twice.

Like any investment…..you need to check with a tax professional first

Profile photo of SavSav
    Participant
    @sav

Thankz for the fast reply ……….speedy gonzales……….your nick suits you ahahhaha…….im interested in the USA market………have 30k in savings…..income 70k + girlfriend 50k …….we are both 26 years old and have one investment property in Melbourne renting out at $320 per week……..the property is worth around 400k ….owing the bank 245k………..what should be our next step to purchase in USA…..looking for postive cash flow deals……..the area im interested in is Miami and las vegas……..any advice or information will b appreciatted………..Thank You

Profile photo of jeff2investUSAjeff2investUSA
    @jeff2investusa
    Sav wrote:
    Thankz for the fast reply ……….speedy gonzales……….your nick suits you ahahhaha…….im interested in the USA market………have 30k in savings…..income 70k + girlfriend 50k …….we are both 26 years old and have one investment property in Melbourne renting out at $320 per week……..the property is worth around 400k ….owing the bank 245k………..what should be our next step to purchase in USA…..looking for postive cash flow deals……..the area im interested in is Miami and las vegas……..any advice or information will b appreciatted………..Thank You

Sav,

Miami and Las Vegas have some of the highest vacancy rates in the USA, there are so many properties available in these area’s you could purchase a property and it will sit vacant for months. Do not purchase condo’s as the HOA (Home owners Assoc) could eat your monthly cash income, also a lot of the HOA are broke, stick to single family homes.

Do plenty of research don’t be seduced by palm trees and white sandy beaches…….you need to have very good property managers in place.

Jeff

Profile photo of SavSav
    Participant
    @sav

Thankz for the information Jeff. Sorry about the fullstops people but thats how i type when im chatting =). I will make sure il stay away from condo's like you said and by the way how should i get started researching the area. Any websites you recommend???? Should i start off by looking at umemployment numbers, prices 5 years ago…….etc. I dunno where to start off =/

Profile photo of CheevesFinancialCheevesFinancial
    Participant
    @cheevesfinancial

We are in Southwest Florida and work the Ft. Myers and Tampa areas.  Unemployment is dropping, rental rates have stabilized and we have seen some improvement in rental rates for the first time in 5 years. 

I agree with Jeff's assessment of condos.  Newer buildings are struggling right now because of the HOA.  Investors saturated the condo market during the boom and most are walking away if not have already.  The current homeowners have to foot the bill for the expenses and it drains your ROI big time.

Our website http://www.MyRealtySource.com has some videos on the homepage that we put together for informative purposes.  Our videos are mostly on 2 family income properties but we are going to be uploading a video for single family homes by the end of the weekend.  Hope you enjoy them.  I'd be happy to share thoughts on the Florida market.  Nationally it is a buyers market as well as a huge "Buyer Beware" market, so be sure to get info from those on the ground in those specific markets.

CheevesFinancial | Cushman & Wakefield - Commercial Property SW FL
    http://www.CommercialRealEstateVoice.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

@speedy-gonzales

Hi Sav,

Do you mind if I ask “why” are you specifically interested in Miami or Las Vegas ? It’s a question I have been meaning to ask many posters on the forums as to what made them invest in a particular city. What or who lead you to the decision so early on in your investigative stages of USA investing to isolate it between two cites already. I’m not critising your decision in any way Sav….just interested.

There are some excellent posts in these forums….some from individuals who have or are doing it on their own and some from those representing companies who have something to sell you. To me it makes common sense to first of all get the basics down first.

1. Ask yourself why you think you should invest in USA real estate to begin with. The common answers would be a) exchange rates with USD, b) current opportunity due to GFC, c) positive cashflow, d) possible future capital growth plus many more

2. If you have convinced yourself with the opportunity then look at which state of the USA. Research statistics such as unemployment rates which is pretty easy to find through the Department of Labour. Research population statistics. This will again be pretty easy. I came across 2010 stats from a very large removalist company in the USA who have been keeping stats on on interstate moves for the last 20 years. Over 75,000 jobs were completed last calendar year moving people from within the state, out of the state or into the state etc. Some very interesting stats are emerging which evidences the slowdown in the population shift from the north to the states of Arizona, Florida, California etc. It shows which states are currently gaining the population. This report is also backed up from stats starting to come out of the 2010 census. Look at where the jobs are currently going to and in what industries. Avoid states that have large public employment payrolls as a lot of states are going to have to lay off public servants to manage their budget deficits. You need to look where private company employment growth is happening

3. Once you have then identified the state with the best investment you can then narrow down your search to which cities in particular you should invest in using similar methods as above

I personally then believe only then should you consider things such as bank accounts, LLC’s etc etc. A lot of companies set up to sell US properties and offer the whole package are simply taking advantage of the fact that it is all too hard to do it yourself and believe me….from someone who has done it all on my own……is DOES take a lot of time and effort but it is possible. I have been fortunate to have had previous experience in the USA real estate market plus had the last 9 months off work to do some extensive research on the computer, on the phone and on the ground doing the hard yards. This is something that not everybody would be able to do. My point again is that these companies take advantage of this fact and 99% are selling in inferior markets just because this is the areas where wholesalers have huge inventories of stock that need to be sold to the unsuspecting investor.

Take the USA out of the equation. Would you invest in an Australian city that had high unemployment, was losing population and simply wasn’t located where all the jobs are being created…..JUST because it offered positive cashflow. There is huge amounts of current data out there backed up by reliable sources who aren’t selling you real estate.

Profile photo of Treasure HunterTreasure Hunter
    Participant
    @treasure-hunter

Hi Speedy,

Thanks for sharing your clear thinking on your approach.

I gather from some of your other posts that you concluded that Texas works for you. I understand their local economy is (relatively) strong and unemployment is lower. But it also appears that Texas never had the property value plummet that Florida, Arizona etc had. So based on this, one must assume that their residential properties do not have a forecast of strong capital growth, as there is no low point to bounce back from….

So no disrespect intended, but I am just being the Devil’s Advocate here and testing you on this point :- Weighing up the vacancy and unemployment rates potentially affecting IP cash-flow for Florida but adding the likely prospect of strong long-term capital growth, surely that is a stronger case than Texas’s possibly more predictable cash-flow but lower ROI’s and very limited growth?

(apologies if I have been incorrect with assuming your Texas position. I have not been through ALL of your posts).

Cheers, TH

Profile photo of white_goodmanwhite_goodman
    Participant
    @white_goodman
    Treasure Hunter wrote:
    Hi Speedy, Thanks for sharing your clear thinking on your approach. I gather from some of your other posts that you concluded that Texas works for you. I understand their local economy is (relatively) strong and unemployment is lower. But it also appears that Texas never had the property value plummet that Florida, Arizona etc had. So based on this, one must assume that their residential properties do not have a forecast of strong capital growth, as there is no low point to bounce back from…. So no disrespect intended, but I am just being the Devil's Advocate here and testing you on this point :- Weighing up the vacancy and unemployment rates potentially affecting IP cash-flow for Florida but adding the likely prospect of strong long-term capital growth, surely that is a stronger case than Texas's possibly more predictable cash-flow but lower ROI's and very limited growth? (apologies if I have been incorrect with assuming your Texas position. I have not been through ALL of your posts). Cheers, TH

the reasons why texas doesnt have the boom busts compared to say Vegas and Florida is due to regulation and local legislation. When prices rise due to increased demand (population increase etc) instead of seeing large increases in price appreciation, developers see opportunity and build to bring the market back into equilibrium. Zoning and other related issues which cause issues for developers arent as apparent in Texas, regulation and a lack of free markets on the supply side generally cause markets of mass speculation.. so yes Texas will experience capital growth generally but it shouldnt experience a bubble unless it drastically changes its policy on housing..

Profile photo of SavSav
    Participant
    @sav

Thankz speedy for the info. i will make sure il do those steps into researching unemployment rate etc…Once the researching is done then i  will have an area to look at and then start getting my finances ready to purchase. I am dealing with Troy for the finance  who is also on this website, has anyone delt with him??? He provides finance for Australians to purchase in the USA.

@speedy-gonzales
    Treasure Hunter wrote:
    Hi Speedy,

Thanks for sharing your clear thinking on your approach.

I gather from some of your other posts that you concluded that Texas works for you. I understand their local economy is (relatively) strong and unemployment is lower. But it also appears that Texas never had the property value plummet that Florida, Arizona etc had. So based on this, one must assume that their residential properties do not have a forecast of strong capital growth, as there is no low point to bounce back from….

So no disrespect intended, but I am just being the Devil’s Advocate here and testing you on this point :- Weighing up the vacancy and unemployment rates potentially affecting IP cash-flow for Florida but adding the likely prospect of strong long-term capital growth, surely that is a stronger case than Texas’s possibly more predictable cash-flow but lower ROI’s and very limited growth?

(apologies if I have been incorrect with assuming your Texas position. I have not been through ALL of your posts).

Cheers, TH

Hi Treasure Hunter

No disrespect taken at all….we should be here to support each other and offer views and opinions. Yes Texas come out on top on all counts through much research. I can’t see many markets bouncing back for a long time as the fundamentals have changed. What drove markets like Florida has changed. Typically cashed up snowbirds and baby boomers sold their homes in the northern states and retired to sunny Florida. These people now have to put off retirement and most likely suffer from negative equity so can’t sell. Information from the 2010 census etc indicates that the population shift to Nevada, Arizona & Florida has slowed or stopped.

My investment principle….past returns are not an indication of future returns.

Profile photo of xarpxarp
    Participant
    @xarp

Very interesting topic indeed! I will bring some of my experience here as well.

2 years ago I was similarly interested in these boom markets, where the prices dropped 50% and I thought it's the best place to buy. I bought 2 condo's – one in Las Vegas, Nevada and one in Phoenix, Arizona.

The reality is that the vacancy rates are really high, and it took me 1-2 months to get a tenant. What more, the rents aren't actually that high, so I am glad that I am barely breaking even. The only hope (or strategy for someone) is the appreciation in these states. You can't be really doing it for the cashflow.

I have switched my strategy now, and did quite extensive research about various states in USA – to find the ones which can provide the highest rental yields – the ratio of the purchase price and rental income. Quite obviously these "high cash flow" states aren't Florida or Nevada, but instead little bit less interesting ones, like Kansas, North Dakota, etc.

I have actually written an article about the market/state decision here:
    High Rental Yield Markets in the USA

I will be soon posting the full table of all the states and their Price to Rent ratios, including Texas. ;)

The bottom line is probably what the investor choose as a strategy – either speculating on appreciation in the past-boom states or rather long term holding strategy for higher cashflow, in other areas.

Profile photo of SavSav
    Participant
    @sav

im actually in the process to register with myUSAproperty…..has anyone delt with this company???

Profile photo of BoomtimesBoomtimes
    Participant
    @boomtimes

Hi There,

I did notice a property advertising by them that appeared about $10-15K overpriced. I own property in MI, GA and FL. Different reasons for buying. Believe in the asset class, the timing but also in diversification within the asset class.

MI got very high rental return, gross 40%+, GA 20+ % and FL 18%.

Personally favour FL due to app 70-75% drop in prices and good rental returns. Fact is that more often than not Boom and Bust happens in the same areas every time.

People keep moving towards the sun. Same all over the World and US no different.

Some areas promoted here seem to have little capital upside as well as average rents.

Participant
    @treasure-hunter
    Sav wrote:
    im actually in the process to register with myUSAproperty…..has anyone delt with this company???

Sav,

There’s quite a long thread on this forum about that company.
    Go to :-
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forums/property-investing/overseas-deals/4333440

Profile photo of sreeramsreeram
    @sreeram

Hi There

I am property investor in Australia.  Although I have bought properties in Australia without using any of the buyers agents, I don't know how to proceed if I want to a buy a property in USA.  Therefore, I am thinking of buying a property in US through http://www.myusaproperty.com.au .  The properties advertised on their website are all net cashflow positive and look very attractive.

Has anyone used them?  Any comments would be highly appreciated.

Participant
    @treasure-hunter

Sreeram,

Read my post just above yours.

Profile photo of spyglassltdspyglassltd
    @spyglassltd

Perhaps more detail than people might want and I thought I had posted this chapter of my US investment guide before, but I cant seem to find it.

Prior to the passing of the Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act 1980
    (FIRPTA) unless the holding of real estate constituted a US trade or business any gain
    on its disposal was not subject to US taxation. FIRPTA changed that by imposing US
    tax on income and gains from the operation and disposal of “US real property
    interests” (USRPIs) by non resident aliens and foreign corporations. A USRPI is any
    interest in US real property or “US real property holding companies” (USRPHCs)
    which are basically any US corporation 50% or more of whose assets consist of
    USRPIs. The FIRPTA provisions are now included in the revised Internal Revenue
    Code of 1986.

Accordingly both non US resident individuals and companies are liable to US tax on
    capital gains from the disposal of US real estate. Capital gains are calculated as the
    difference between the sale price and the cost basis of the asset sold. The “cost basis”
    is the purchase price adjusted to take account of brokerage, legal, sales and other fees
    and expenses, sales, excise, real estate and other taxes paid on the acquisition or
    disposal of the asset, the cost of improvements and depreciation.  For US tax purposes
    capital gains are either “short-term” if the asset disposed has been held for a year or
    less or “long-term” if held for more than a year. Short-term capital gains are taxed at
    regular income tax rates which for individuals currently start at 10% rising to 35% on
    income in excess of $373,650 and for corporations 15% to 35% on income above
    $18,333,334. For non residents only US income is, of course, taken into account for
    this purpose. Long-term capital gains are currently tax free for taxpayers in the 15%
    bracket or below and taxed at a flat 15% for those in the higher brackets.
    Unfortunately from 1 January 2011 the long-term capital gains of those in the lower
    brackets will be taxed at 10% and for those in the higher brackets the rate will rise to
    20%. The 15% bracket applies up to $34,000 for individuals and $50,000 for
    corporations.

The FIRPTA provisions, however, require the purchaser or closing agent to withhold
    and account to the Internal Revenue Service for 10% of the purchase price on sales of
    real estate by non resident individuals or companies. This is credited against the
    seller’s federal tax liabilities and any balance is refundable on filing of the appropriate
    returns. It is possible to get a “withholding certificate” from the IRS in advance
    dispensing with this requirement but there are obviously strict conditions and it takes
    time to obtain. If however you have a US LLC owned by a foreign national this requirement isnt enforced.

For purchasers, whether individual or corporate, who do wish to retain their
    lots after development for rental purposes the rent will constitute “fixed or
    determinable, annual or periodical gains, profits and income and is primarily subject
    to a 30% withholding tax on the gross amount. It is therefore usually advisable to

make an “effectively connected business” election in respect of real estate rental
    income in which case it becomes “effectively connected business income” subject to
    tax at regular federal rates on the net amount after all deductions and expenses
    normally allowed to US residents. This means that all legitimate expenses related
    thereto including local real estate taxes and homeowners association assessments will
    be deductible. In this case an individual will need to file an annual tax return in Form
    1040NR and a corporation in Form 1120F. A local US accountant should be engaged
    for this purpose whose fees are also deductible.

In the case of purchases through a SIPP a return will only need to be filed by the SIPP
    Trustee, which assuming it is a UK company will be in Form 1120F, when the lot is
    actually sold.

In order to submit tax returns an individual needs to obtain an Individual Taxpayer
    Identification Number (ITIN) by completing Form W-7 and submitting it together
    with their passport or a notarized copy if sent by post to the US Embassy, 24
    Grosvenor Square, London W1A 1AE. Form W-7 is available from the embassy or
    can be downloaded from their website. A company needs to obtain an Employer
    Identification Number (EIN) which can be done by downloading and completing
    Form SS-4.

Profile photo of USAUSA
    @usa

hi there

Just read up above someone called "Troy" on this forum has foreign national finance available, could someone please let me know his details

Thanks

Profile photo of SavSav
    Participant
    @sav

Ive sent you a private message USA…..=)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.