All Topics / Legal & Accounting / 50% reduction in capital gain and general idea about CGT

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of microchip78microchip78
    Participant
    @microchip78

50% reduction in capital gain and general idea about CGT

As per my understanding if you have puchased a property after 1989, and your investment is more than 12 months, you are eligible for 50% reduction in capital gain. Correct me if i m wrong …

does this applicable if I have bought a off the plan property and kept it for more than 12 months and sell it before the settlement ??

I tried very hard to find proper explanation about how to calculate CGT, but not much luck with very well explained, sweet and short document. But from my reading from here and there what i found was described below. Please correct me if I am wrong …

for explanation lets say I made a 85,000.00 Capital Gain on off the plan property I purchased in oct, 2008 and sold jan, 2011 before settlement.

– if you purchased a property after 1989, and hold the investment for more than 12 months only 50% of your total capital gain is taxable (e.g. CG = 85,000.00 / 2 = 42,500.00)

– taxable capital gain will be added in to other taxable income from job, rent or any other (e.g. Income = 60000.00 / year)

– TAX is being calculated based on Normal TAX Rates of that financial year on final taxable income including CG (e.g. Taxable Income = 60,000.00 + 42,500.00 = 102,500.00)

– if you do Capital Loss, it doesnt affect taxable income you earned from other source. (e.g. Income = 60,000.00 / year; capital loss = 20000.00 for that year; Taxable Income will not reduce to 60,000.00 – 20,000.00 = 40000.00 for that financial year. It remain same as 60000.00.)

– you are eligible for all property related expensis deductable from the CG before adding in to your tabable income (e.g. property maintanance, property purchase, property sell etc.)

If I have missed any point please add it here …

Thanks in advance

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

If it's not too hard, just ring the ATO, ask for someone who deals with capital gains tax and they will give the the information that you need without you needing to disclose all of your details.

Profile photo of microchip78microchip78
    Participant
    @microchip78

Thanks Scott,

I will do the same if I will not get the response here.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

broadly:

Costs are deducted from gains first. Then the 50% discount is applied. The gain is then added to your other personal income.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.