All Topics / Overseas Deals / Lodging a tax return in the US

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • Profile photo of morgstarmorgstar
    Participant
    @morgstar
    Hi 

Can anyone reply that has done a state tax & fed tax return on their LLC as a individual.

Please let me know who you used and how much it ended up costing.

Thanks
    Morgan
    Profile photo of rlillycroprlillycrop
    @rlillycrop

Hi Morgan

I use TurboTax Home and Business. The software is really easy to use and produces all the relevant paperwork for your return. Also at about $100 it is a lot cheaper than using a CPA.

Profile photo of morgstarmorgstar
    Participant
    @morgstar

Hi

so once it produces the figures what is the next step, does it lodge the return with the fed and state? or do you need to do that yourself.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks
    Morgan

Profile photo of NopzNopz
    @nopz

Hi all,
    could anyone point me in a direction of a good US tax agent here in Australia? I already have a property in US, but need ITIN and file a tax return + some advice. I did apply for ITIN but I suspect I used a wrong form and that's why my application was rejected by IRS.
    Cheers

Participant
    @morgstar

Hi Nopz

Where did you buy and what did you buy?

Thanks
    Morgan

@nopz

Hi Morgan,
    thanks for your reply. Sanford, FL near Orlando. I only bought because my sister is a realtor there so I have eyes/ears on the ground.

@nopz

3 bedroom foreclosed house, was under 40K. Older style but full brick with good roof and good tenant.

Participant
    @morgstar

Hi

I am looking at buying in Phoenix, Kansas City or Orlando but i wanted to buy something around $25000, i am just a bit worried if i buy at the lower end of the market i will never recoup my money in 5 to 10 years in regards to the sale.

Profile photo of speedy gonzalesspeedy gonzales
    @speedy-gonzales

Hi Nopz,

Try USTaxCentral. They have an article in this moths YIP magazine and looking at their website they look after ITIN’s, EIN’s, tax returns in Australia and the US

Profile photo of rlillycroprlillycrop
    @rlillycrop

Hi Morgan

TurboTax produces all the paperwork directly. The only form it doesn't produce is the 1040-NR, however it does produce a 1040. So you can easily put the figures onto the 1040-NR yourself. You can then just mail the paperwork to the IRS. It will also produce State returns for you which again will print out all the relevant forms so you can mail then to the relevant State.

Profile photo of spyglassltdspyglassltd
    @spyglassltd
    morgstar wrote:
    Hi

I am looking at buying in Phoenix, Kansas City or Orlando but i wanted to buy something around $25000, i am just a bit worried if i buy at the lower end of the market i will never recoup my money in 5 to 10 years in regards to the sale.

Its a question of making sure you arent buying in a dying area, 25k is certainly at the bottom end, however in Florida I recently bought a townhouse at $28k, according to the local property appraiser website it sold for $170k in 07 and $130k in 04, it cash flows well and i feel in 5 years it will likely be worth 50% of at least the 04 price which along with the double digit net cashflow, I am very happy with.

The fundamentals of a market are of course key and the principal reason why I like Florida is the population growth, buy in an area of the state well placed to enjoy this growth and I believe you shall get returns similar to these. Although as a cautionary note from one who has made this mistake before in Florida there are areas which you shouldnt touch.

Profile photo of Treasure HunterTreasure Hunter
    Participant
    @treasure-hunter
    spyglassltd wrote:
    morgstar wrote:
    Hi

Its a question of making sure you arent buying in a dying area, 25k is certainly at the bottom end, however in Florida I recently bought a townhouse at $28k, according to the local property appraiser website it sold for $170k in 07 and $130k in 04, it cash flows well and i feel in 5 years it will likely be worth 50% of at least the 04 price which along with the double digit net cashflow, I am very happy with.

The fundamentals of a market are of course key and the principal reason why I like Florida is the population growth, buy in an area of the state well placed to enjoy this growth and I believe you shall get returns similar to these. Although as a cautionary note from one who has made this mistake before in Florida there are areas which you shouldnt touch.

Hi Spyglass,

Which areas in Florida would you avoid, and why?

Cheers, TH

@spyglassltd

Hi Treasure,

Its a long answer because as you know there are so many different housing markets and within those markets there will be good and bad areas, but some of the ones, and types I would sidestep are;

Brickell, downtown Miami, epicentre of the condo building. These were the most high end condos and as such developers were falling over themselves to make it the most lavish which resulted in huge HOA fees, a lot of which is now unpaid. That being said I recently acquired the last 60 units in Capital Lofts for a client which is in this area, which is the exception that proves the rule in  my opinion.

Orlando/Kissimee, in this market you have to be extremely careful because a lot of this isnt built for the primary market its built for the holiday market, this means that as there is still over supply here if you buy a property which is in area mainly for holiday rentals you will struggle to compete with the more established and frankly the more local operators, and you may also struggle to get a US tenant because who wants to be living in a street full of holidaying Brit? ( I dont and Im a Brit).

A type of area I would avoid are areas which are tertiary markets  that were largely unloved before the recent housing bubble, its obvious but these areas will take longer to start to recover and the recovery will be slower.

There are areas of cities in Florida which were all built around the same time so you have mile after mile of gated communities all of a similar age, the problem with this is that when you buy in here these are going to be the new ghetto as they get older and cheaper the renters and owners will slide down the social scale and in time maybe only a few years there will be developments which were solid B class originally becoming c-/d grade which will have obvious impacts on your investment.

There are lots of areas away from the main population centers of South, west and central Florida which look good on paper but are easy to go wrong in, Citrus County, Marion County to name a couple.

just my opinion.

@nopz

Thanks for your reply Speedy Gonzales.
    Yea I’ve contacted USTaxCentral and couple of others – still waiting for their reply. In the meantime I found out you can get ITIN by filing your tax return and sending it to IRS with W-7 form. http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=222209,00.html.

I will go with tax-agent’s help this year and next year I’ll try to use the Turbo-Tax as one of the posters on this thread suggested.

Profile photo of speedy gonzalesspeedy gonzales
    @speedy-gonzales

Nopz,

I registered with them and James (the one in charge) called me and emailed me the same day so I have had no issues with getting them to contact me.

Participant
    @treasure-hunter
    spyglassltd wrote:
    Hi Treasure,

Its a long answer because as you know there are so many different housing markets and within those markets there will be good and bad areas, but some of the ones, and types I would sidestep are;

Brickell, downtown Miami, epicentre of the condo building. These were the most high end condos and as such developers were falling over themselves to make it the most lavish which resulted in huge HOA fees, a lot of which is now unpaid. That being said I recently acquired the last 60 units in Capital Lofts for a client which is in this area, which is the exception that proves the rule in  my opinion.

Orlando/Kissimee, in this market you have to be extremely careful because a lot of this isnt built for the primary market its built for the holiday market, this means that as there is still over supply here if you buy a property which is in area mainly for holiday rentals you will struggle to compete with the more established and frankly the more local operators, and you may also struggle to get a US tenant because who wants to be living in a street full of holidaying Brit? ( I dont and Im a Brit).

A type of area I would avoid are areas which are tertiary markets  that were largely unloved before the recent housing bubble, its obvious but these areas will take longer to start to recover and the recovery will be slower.

There are areas of cities in Florida which were all built around the same time so you have mile after mile of gated communities all of a similar age, the problem with this is that when you buy in here these are going to be the new ghetto as they get older and cheaper the renters and owners will slide down the social scale and in time maybe only a few years there will be developments which were solid B class originally becoming c-/d grade which will have obvious impacts on your investment.

There are lots of areas away from the main population centers of South, west and central Florida which look good on paper but are easy to go wrong in, Citrus County, Marion County to name a couple.

just my opinion.

Hi Spyglass,

Thanks for your comprehensive reply.
    I guess the obvious follow-up question : which areas in Florida would you recommend?

TH

@spyglassltd

Hi,

I like areas such as Cape Coral, which I feel is undervalued and a great location for growth -however I should also say I have a development there as well as lots of land so I am biased! I like Gainesville which is a college town in between orlando and Tallahassee,  it has fairly solid renters both from students and those staying on to work in the Medical research centers there. It was also out of the way of most of the pre construction madness that gripped Florida. If you have the money for a multiplex I like South Beach, solid rentals again and good growth prospects. There are areas in all the metro areas Miami, Ft lauderdale, West Palm Beach as well as orlando, Tampa etc which represent good opportunities, but as there are so many micro markets its a case of judging each deal on its own merits, and blanket generalisations-like this!, dont paint a full picture.

Tks

Mark

Participant
    @treasure-hunter
    spyglassltd wrote:
    Hi,

I like areas such as Cape Coral, which I feel is undervalued and a great location for growth -however I should also say I have a development there as well as lots of land so I am biased! I like Gainesville which is a college town in between orlando and Tallahassee,  it has fairly solid renters both from students and those staying on to work in the Medical research centers there. It was also out of the way of most of the pre construction madness that gripped Florida. If you have the money for a multiplex I like South Beach, solid rentals again and good growth prospects. There are areas in all the metro areas Miami, Ft lauderdale, West Palm Beach as well as orlando, Tampa etc which represent good opportunities, but as there are so many micro markets its a case of judging each deal on its own merits, and blanket generalisations-like this!, dont paint a full picture.

Tks

Mark

Thanks once again Mark (Spyglass).
    We are probably off-topic for this thread, so I will liaise further with you on this subject, either on another thread or by PM.

Cheers, TH

@spyglassltd

your welcome, anytime.

Profile photo of husky0108husky0108
    @husky0108
    Nopz wrote:
    3 bedroom foreclosed house, was under 40K. Older style but full brick with good roof and good tenant.

Hi Nopz

Can you PM me, i would like to have a realtor contact in orlando.

Thanks
    Husky

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.