All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Capital Gains Tax Formula for Microsoft Excel

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of fredo_4305fredo_4305
    Participant
    @fredo_4305

Happy New Year All!!!!

Just wondering if anyone knows has a forumla Calculating Capital Gains Tax in Microsoft Excel??

Cheers

Profile photo of James2118James2118
    @james2118

Happy New Year Fredo,

Capital gains tax as I believe is just added to your taxable income so you fall into a tax bracket. I think I have made up a quick spreadsheet with this before, where you simply enter your taxable income, and your capital gains, as well as ticking a box if you had the property for over a year or not to reduce the capital gains by 50%.

One question, when you reduce it by 50%, do you reduce the tax paid by 50%, or is the actual capital gain reduced by 50%. It may sound confusing but I am not sure if you pay half the tax at the potentially higher tax bracket, or you get taxed on a lower capital gains. Hope that makes sense.

Anyway Fredo just send me a message with your email I can flick it on to you

Profile photo of omegapartnersomegapartners
    @omegapartners

The formula would need to take into account a number of variables

1. Structure. Company no CGT discount. Other structures get the 50% cgt discount.
    2. If asset held for less than 12 months then no discount otherwise consider structures and whether discount applies.
    3. Calculating cost base. What to include what not to include.
    4. Calculating reduced cost base. Make sure capital allowance deductions are used to reduce cost base.
    5. Small business CGT concessions. How these are built into the formula. Can be applicable for various types of property investments as the small business CGT concessions can and do apply (in particular circumstances)

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Structure. Company no CGT discount. Other structures get the 50% cgt discount.

Unless purchased using a SMSF when you get 33% discount not 50%.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Also if joint ownership splits the gain 50% to each owner .

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.