All Topics / Overseas Deals / USA investment companies – advise?

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Profile photo of Canberra girlCanberra girl
    Participant
    @canberra-girl

We have bought a number of properties from Top Rental Returns USA and have visited Atlanta twice now. During both visits we toured potential houses (all foreclosures) with Bronwyn and Micheal who are Australians and are based in Atlanta and chose houses that we were happy with. We then waited to see if the bank accepted their offer and the HUD closing statement clearly shows the accepted foreclosure price and their commission.

They managed the renovations (and received no kickbacks from the builders) and have also employed an American to manage the properties. Tenants were all found within a month.

We purchased two other properties in Florida (unfortunately both are townhouses) and have nothing but issues with the property managers (their care factor there is zero!). From our experience it is absolutely vital that you visit, get a feel for the area as each street can change, let alone each suburb and feel comfortable that the house you are buying is well priced (read bargain) and will attract good tenants. We paid between $40 and $56k for our properties in Atlanta and then between $8 and $13k for the renovations. The returns range from $950-$1100 month.

The rent we receive for our Florida properties is half that and the HOAs increased by $60 a month on one place, so we are hoping, fingers crossed for greater capital gains. We also found that the real estate agents in Florida were all too happy to deceive you and couldn't be trusted. The sellers and buyers agents seemed to collude, even though the buyers agent was meant to be working with your best interests in mind!

Profile photo of ActTodayActToday
    Participant
    @acttoday

Hi Canberra Girl,  I am sorry to hear that you have had trouble in Florida.  I have two excellent Agents in Fort Myers and have recommended them to others who have also found their service to be well above average.  Again, it is sometimes better to be on the ground to get to know the Agents availalbe and keep tabs on their work.

Profile photo of TuckerOnePropertiesTuckerOneProperties
    @tuckeroneproperties

In florida you might also want to connect with http://cfri.net/  They may be able to help you out of a bad situation and allow you to check out potential partners.

Profile photo of ActTodayActToday
    Participant
    @acttoday

I'll be looking at this Kim.  Thanks

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

I'd be interested to know what LVR's and rates LoansUSA are getting for their clients.

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Yes how are they achieving the loans. It is also important to look at the market. Many markets in Florida have fallen by as much as 48% since 2006. Personally I do not see these as safe markets. However I am not about taking big risks with either my clients or my own money. My view is research get it right and buy safe investments that perform.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of spyglassltdspyglassltd
    @spyglassltd

I was also wondering Nigel how the banks agree to you assigning the mortgages to the new investors? I was quite surprised to see that was your offer,  as even in 05/06/07 when everything was a lot more relaxed they still didnt like to do that.

Profile photo of munecita20027739munecita20027739
    @munecita20027739

I have also used the services of Mike and Bron in Atlanta (toprentalreturnsusa.com) and am happy with the service. In my opinion a much better option than some of the other groups quoted in this post as they buy direct from the foreclosure market and add a fee which is disclosed and reasonable. There is no "flipper" middle man adding tens of thousands of dollars before the buyers agent offloads the property with an additional fee. They also live in atlanta , in one of the suburbs they source properties for clients.

I have purchased 4 properties through Mike and Bron, first 3 are rented and going well and the 4th has just had the reno completed. The property management side of things has been no different to owning properties in Australia, they let me know whenever there is a problem and it gets dealt with.

I think the key is to pay wholesale, once you add in the flippers exhorberant price increase after they paint and flip the house to you and then add another couple of thousand for the buyers agent you are simply paying too much. leave the flipper out of the equation and you will do much better. You really need to understand how much these flippers are adding to the price, its not uncommon to see houses selling through the buyers agents that were bought for 15k and selling for 60k , be extra careful and don't buy anything if you can't verify what the original sale price is. (I don't mean the 2000 or 2002 sale price I mean the one the flipper acquired it for) you can check http://www.zillow.com or go to the county website to see if you can locate the last sale price.

You may want to read the post on somersoft also, http://www.somersoft.com.au
    Emma (also an Australian) offers some great advise on buying direct from the foreclosure market in las vegas. You can read the post here
    http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=725515#post725515

@spyglassltd
    munecita20027739 wrote:

I think the key is to pay wholesale, once you add in the flippers exhorberant price increase after they paint and flip the house to you and then add another couple of thousand for the buyers agent you are simply paying too much. leave the flipper out of the equation and you will do much better. You really need to understand how much these flippers are adding to the price, its not uncommon to see houses selling through the buyers agents that were bought for 15k and selling for 60k , be extra careful and don't buy anything if you can't verify what the original sale price is. (I don't mean the 2000 or 2002 sale price I mean the one the flipper acquired it for) you can check http://www.zillow.com or go to the county website to see if you can locate the last sale price.

Completely agree with this post. A lot of the activity mentioned above is just a scandal waiting to break, its totally rife in markets such as Detroit, Buffalo etc. People are buying because the rents are so high compared and the sellers use the zillow estimate to back up totally spurious prices.

Please dont use Zillow as a method of getting a current valuation it can be two or three times the actual value, its useful to find previous sale prices, pictures, home sq ft etc, but thats about it.

Each County has a property appraiser where you can check the previous sales of any house, its normally simple to use and almost always free.

A lot of these people are building up levels of mystique around the property industry that isnt necessary, there are lots of online wholesalers in the US in these markets people can try Econohomes as a starting point.

Profile photo of mjcantrellmjcantrell
    @mjcantrell

Hi Spyglass,

The properties I am buying in Kansas City are averaging around a $35K purchase price and $650-850 rent.  That is fully renovated and tenant in place.  I do check Zillow and have found even in this market I am buying them around 60% of the market value.  Kansas City has many properties available and I turn away alot of good deals due to lack of funds.

@spyglassltd

HI, Ive no experience at all of Kansas City. Quite a few people on here seem to rate it though.

Profile photo of jerkygirljerkygirl
    @jerkygirl

Hi

I wont comment good or bad, but I will tell the facts. Almost one year ago, my partner settled on a property in Atlanta using 888 and Top rental returns. The property was marketed as a nice townhouse in a family area. A year on, and still no tenant and the recent change of property manager gave the report that he was too frightened to go into the complex on his own due to screaming etc and that it appeared more like a badly managed project housing estate than a family area.
    My partner is not sure what to do with the property now, as we have dropped the rent and still no tenant. We assume that selling will not even get his money back.

My advice, be very careful who you trust!

jerkygirl

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry
    jerkygirl wrote:
    Hi

I wont comment good or bad, but I will tell the facts. Almost one year ago, my partner settled on a property in Atlanta using 888 and Top rental returns. The property was marketed as a nice townhouse in a family area. A year on, and still no tenant and the recent change of property manager gave the report that he was too frightened to go into the complex on his own due to screaming etc and that it appeared more like a badly managed project housing estate than a family area.
    My partner is not sure what to do with the property now, as we have dropped the rent and still no tenant. We assume that selling will not even get his money back.

jerkygirl

This is exactly what happened in upstate New York a few years ago and is exactly what is going to happen in a lot of cases this time around. Where there are huge prospective gross rental returns there is generally a good reason and they rarely translate into strong net rental returns.

There used to be a group in Upstate New York which was an association of investors who were active there, mostly US residents, the guy who ran it put out a report where he detailed his returns and then transalted them into an hourly rate, based on the amout of work he had done on maintaining his portfolio. The guy made money, but the returns were not spectacular and the hourly rate was ordinary. I'll dig it up and post it if i can find it as it is a very interesting document.

Profile photo of jeff2investUSAjeff2investUSA
    @jeff2investusa
    APerry wrote:
    jerkygirl wrote:
    Hi

jerkygirl

This is exactly what happened in upstate New York a few years ago and is exactly what is going to happen in a lot of cases this time around. Where there are huge prospective gross rental returns there is generally a good reason and they rarely translate into strong net rental returns.

There used to be a group in Upstate New York which was an association of investors who were active there, mostly US residents, the guy who ran it put out a report where he detailed his returns and then transalted them into an hourly rate, based on the amout of work he had done on maintaining his portfolio. The guy made money, but the returns were not spectacular and the hourly rate was ordinary. I'll dig it up and post it if i can find it as it is a very interesting document.

To APerry,

I have invested in upstate NY and have found the people that i partner with are honest and true to there word, they can back up all there properties.

I believe thst there was a number of years ago a few bad apples running arround fleecing left and right, however 1% of investments in any city can prove to be not good investments do you then not deal with the honest ones.

I have a partner who works out of denver property man for over 30 years knows all about the US market thats his business advising investors on were to put there money.

There are certain parts of upstate NY that never boomed or busted and have good ROI, you need like in any city to work with a team that knows there business and has the infrastructure in place.

Jeff

Profile photo of jeff2investUSAjeff2investUSA
    @jeff2investusa
    APerry wrote:
    jerkygirl wrote:
    Hi

jerkygirl

To APerry,

I have invested in upstate NY and have found the people that i partner with are honest and true to there word, they can back up all there properties.

I believe that there was a number of years ago a few bad apples running arround fleecing left and right, however 1% of investments in any city can prove to be not good investments do you then not deal with the honest ones.

I have a partner who works out of denver property man for over 30 years knows all about the US market thats his business advising investors on were to put there money.

There are certain parts of upstate NY that never boomed or busted and have good ROI, you need like in any city to work with a team that knows there business and has the infrastructure in place.

Jeff

Profile photo of steven_packsteven_pack
    @steven_pack

Hi Canberra Girl,

I followed a similar path to you. Can I ask, have you lodged your LLC's first tax return yet? If so, which tax agent did you use?

Thanks,
    Steve

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.