All Topics / Help Needed! / I don’t think the numbers are right?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of propertyjockeypropertyjockey
    @propertyjockey

Hi all,

I have been reading the latest issue of API. The databank at the back.

How much trust should I place in these figures?

For example, I am looking at figures for a suburb that is walking distance to the CBD, Universities, Shops, Cafes, Train, Buses, private schools, you name it. As far as location is concerned it is a no-brainer. Oh, the streets are to die for. Trees galour, beautiful gardens etc. The numbers in the databank are negative. The CG over 10 years is exactly shining.

Now, there is another suburb listed just above it in the index. This suburb is in the middle of nowhere, No mine to support it, no industry other than farming. A little town with the usual stuff. A pub, a school, a church etc. The numbers are all positive. Its 10 year CG is comparable to suburbs within the 5km CBD circle.

What's happening here?

PJ

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Sometimes the to die for suburb becomes too expensive for people to buy into and they get forced to buy in the other neighbouring suburb.  If you really want to know the price attend a few auctions in the suburb to make sure if this is the case.

Profile photo of propertyjockeypropertyjockey
    @propertyjockey

Dockster,

I would have thought the purchase price is the purchase price. Why should this effect the performance?

I am led to believe residential properties within the 5 – 10km zone of any CBD should always perform better than the averages. On all fronts.

Why would a 'middle of nowhere' suburb with no obvious economic driver (mine etc.) out perform a dress circle suburb?

See, now this where I get 'analysis paralysis'. When, what I am being told does not reflect what I am seeing in the numbers. Sending me into a tail spin.

So, what are the figures I should be focusing on when deciding on a purchase?

PJ

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Capital Growth – both historical and forecasted
    Vacancy Rates
    Rental Yield
    Condition of property
    Scarcity factor (is there something special about the dwelling eg nice architectural features, near the beach etc)
    Proximity to transport, shopping centres, schools, employment
    Forthcoming infrastructure (eg new road/rail line…)
    Potential to add value to the property (ideas include create an extra bedroom, extend the dwelling, renovate, subdivide the land, build an additional dwelling, get a rezoning)
    Be careful about buying into a suburb that relies on only one employer or industry – if the employer/industry moves out, the town might die

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.