All Topics / Creative Investing / Finding people for the deals

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of nlnl
    Participant
    @nl

It’ silly you know,

I’ve started to get my head around all the numbers stuff, planning and even the approach of creative investing, but…

I’m stuck mentally on how to get clients for these deals.

I am not an active creative investor (as yet), I’m ready to go, just mentally stuck on this point of find the people for the deals.

How do you guys do it? Ads in the paper, word of mouth (although remember I’m just getting started).

Any suggestions please?

It would mean a lot to me.

N

Profile photo of nlnl
    Participant
    @nl

Wow, tough crowd :-)

Profile photo of ktastrphektastrphe
    @ktastrphe

I think you'll have to be more specific than "finding clients for your deals" to get any advice.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

You need to explain what you mean. So what IS your approach?

What type of investing (other than a creative one)?   What type of deals?   Why do you need clients?

Personally I just go and buy houses.

Profile photo of nlnl
    Participant
    @nl

Thanks,

OK, what marketing strategies do people use to sell:

– development deals (i.e. through joint venture agreement where you act as the project manager)
    – subdivisions (also under a JV arrangement and acting as the project manager)
    – purchasing property as “X and or nominee” and selling on to a nominee

This site often talks about ‘making deals’ and there is a lot of information about crunching numbers and what to look for in a property deal, but not as much information about how people find buyers or tenants for such projects.

One reason I wish to think about ways to tee up clients is to lower my risk.

I have equity, I used to have a great job (and bought property) and then I suffered a life changing illness. So I am not working at the moment (which would allow me to borrow money for cash flow + properties). I am slowly recovering, and I may be able to return to work but I am unsure when this will happen. It’s like how long is a piece of string. In the meantime, I am bleeding from my equity (which is how I live).

On the positive side, I do however have knowledge about lots of other things about property which, I think together with this missing piece of the puzzle I could use to get me on my feet again.

Marketing or advertising is not my strong point in this instance. But I am a quick study and eager to look at ways of reversing my situation.

Thank you.
    N

Profile photo of nlnl
    Participant
    @nl

Oh and I am looking at turning my place into a shared accommodation arrangement.

That will plug a big chunk of my cash flow hole, but again I am unsure about where to advertise / look for such renters.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

try the local noticeboard for sharehouse or the gumtree website.

Profile photo of nlnl
    Participant
    @nl

Sure, local notice board for shared accommodation…

Any other marketing ideas on the other creative aspects of creating cash-flow?

Someone out there must be good at reaching clients and share a little know how :-).

Thanks in advance.

N

Profile photo of MrFairGoMrFairGo
    @mrfairgo

Hi N

Local notice board is a great one, but not all noticeboards are created equal.  Test, test, test.  Our area has four or five of them, but only one, outside the local IGA supermarket,  is really effective.  And they get so many notices that the supermarket pulls them all down regularly and starts fresh.  I keep a bunch of fliers (with little tear-off tags) already printed out in the car.  When I see the fresh board (my previous advert has gone) I whack up a new one immediately.

Local newspaper (not city-wide: if there's a free local one that's best) is good.  I have a small I-buy-houses advert (costs $10.60) that runs every week.  It is simple and directs people to a website as well as my mobile number.  I often get calls from people who say they have seen the advert many times, and just now are responding.  It's worth the $500/year to have this, since only one deal covers the cost easily.  Sometimes I also put a selling advert in the paper (costs a lot more usually!) but in this area I have found that does not work as well as the noticeboard.  In a previous area such an add in the free local paper would pull about 30 calls.  This local rag is paid-for ($1.00) and only pulls about 3 calls.

Bandit signs are a GREAT way to get customers.  Put a hand-written sign in the window of a property you are selling, and in the front yard – and if your local council is not too sign-police orientated, you can also scatter smaller ones around on poles etc, with appropriate wording depending on your aim: directing people to the property you are selling, or trawling for sellers.  Tip: go to a signwriter and buy corflute offcuts.  Tomato stakes from the local hardware store are a cheap way to mount them if it's for a yard sign.

A business card can help a lot too, if it's done properly.  Your name should be tiny, and what you do should be large. An offer on the back to pay a finders-fee is also worthwhile.  Put them in local businesses, keep several tacked to the local noticeboard mentioned above, and hand them out.  I find that on the counter at accountants and solicitors offices have been useful places to put a little dispenser of them.  :)  You don't have to  get expensive cards, but they need to have a motivating message, and do use both sides! Tip: vistaprint.com.au but don't get the free ones because they have Vistaprint advertising on the back.

A website is also be a great way to find customers – both for buying and selling.  Don't pay a lot to have an expensive site built.  A blog-style site is easily maintained yourself, but don't use the "free blog host" type sites… you need your own domain.  Get a good domain name.  Make sure people can get on your mailing list at your website.  Learn about SEO.  We get a lot of business from our websites, but it's not always in the local area.  However, when someone calls, even locally,  I ask if they have internet access, and get them to fill out an online application.  Works pretty well.   (Disclaimer: My other company sells domains, builds and hosts websites, installs blogs etc, but I am not asking for business here – we are not the cheap solution you are looking for)

We offer a finder's fee to existing and past clients if they put a new client onto us and they buy.  We send a 'thank you' note to the referrer even if the referred does not buy. We keep in regular contact with existing and past clients asking for referrals.  These people are your best 'champions'.   This referral program has been very successful for us over the years and up to the present.

We are also about to start (in the new year) radio adverts and sponsorship of a real estate information program on our local station.  We have high hopes for this, but we are unable to report on it's effectiveness  (Yet!)

I saved the best one for last: flapping the gums.  Have a sentence ready that explains what you do.  Dunno if I should put this on a public forum, but I don't suppose it will hurt… Mine is: "We buy houses and then sell them on vendor terms to people who don't currently qualify for bank loans."   Simple and clear.  Almost always gets a good reaction, and people remember us and tell their friends.  I will often mention in passing that we pay finder's fees if they know someone who wants to sell a house.

These are some of the ways we use to "reach clients".  "N", do them.  Do them ALL, don't rely on just one or two.

Cheers

Mr Fair Go

Profile photo of angelinsydneyangelinsydney
    Participant
    @angelinsydney

Hi nl,

I advertise on http://www.gumtree.com.au.

If you are keen to look after international students, call the school offering English language and Universities and ask to speak to their homestay coordinators.

International students are pleasant. They generally don’t make a mess of your house and will pay more than the locals. I used to cook for them, but not anymore. I only house self-catering students.

To do this, you have to create a private space within your own house so not being stressed by people who are, really, strangers, to you.

You also need to be relaxed about your things. If you will mind them watching your television, or touching your microwave, you will not survive this business.

At the beginning, you should already communicate your house rules, eg, please don’t leave the heaters on in your room all day and all might. When people are not responsible for their bills, they don’t care whether they have left the lights on or the water running. But communicating your house rules to them before they move in will help.

Good luck with the venture.

Take care.

Angel

Profile photo of Personal Leadership DevelopmentPersonal Leadership Development
    @personal-leadership-development

HI NL, PLEASE EXCUSE THE CAPS….LOOK, YOU JUST NEED TO GET OUT THERE AND TALK TO PEOPLE. GO TO PI SEMINARS, TALK TO YOUR FRIENDS, WHEN YOU HAVE THE RIGHT DEAL, IT IS EASY TO GET INVESTORS ON BOARD.

Profile photo of RobbiePRobbieP
    @robbiep

Hi Nl,

Have you sourced investment properties which are you looking to offload to investers?

I am looking at buying. Feel free to PM for details.

Also, i know many ways in which you can find buyers for your sourced properties

Thanks,
    Robbie

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.