All Topics / Help Needed! / Help needed – Two houses stuck in hand

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of jcar114578jcar114578
    @jcar114578

Hi, All

I am trapped in the middle of no where, need some advises to get back on track,

I have purchased an new house in Nov, but having trouble selling my old one, as usual carrying two mortgages at the same time.

I am at ACT
    New House 670k, Mortgage 535k
    Old House market value, 500k, mortgage 230k ( was 90k, but had takend money out for the deopsit of the new one) Had been lived for almost 6 years

Friend suggested to rent the old one since can't get it sale due to current market, treated as rental property, would there be any CGT on that?

Also suggestions from an accountant that rent the old one privately, but named the new one on the rental agreement to claim stamp duty and more tax deduction on interest etc, would this take me into any trouble if ATO find out?

I basically don't want any trouble but attracted by the benefit of the doge way, just how much would I save if I listen to the accountant?
    If not too much, I will get it rented the normal through agent…

Will there be any CGT if I decided to sell the old one after I have claimed the taxt back next year?
    it's bit massy, but any help appriciated
    THanks

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster
    mucyx2007 wrote:

I am at ACT
    New House 670k, Mortgage 535k
    Old House market value, 500k, mortgage 230k ( was 90k, but had takend money out for the deopsit of the new one) Had been lived for almost 6 years

Friend suggested to rent the old one since can't get it sale due to current market, treated as rental property, would there be any CGT on that? 

Only from the point in time that you started renting it out till you sell it. So gain achieved in rented time would be subject to capital gains tax.

When you borrowed the 230k the bank would have valued the property at 500k. Keep in  your tax records this valuation report and then anything above this is capital gain when you sell later on.

You can also proportion the capital gain based on time as ppor / total time owned times final capital gain achieved from original purchase price will be exempt. gain that is after this exempt amount is subtracted off is taxed .

mucyx2007 wrote:

Also suggestions from an accountant that rent the old one privately, but named the new one on the rental agreement to claim stamp duty and more tax deduction on interest etc, would this take me into any trouble if ATO find out?

Remember that you sign your tax return declaration that every thing stated is true and correct. So you will be the one explaining to a tax officer why you are defrauding the ATO not your accountant.

You cannot claim stamp duty as a cost against a rental property that is private use (you can borrow the funds needed if the house is for investment purpose)?

You cannot claim a loan that is for the purpose of private use being your main dwelling as your rental investment purpose.

mucyx2007 wrote:

I basically don't want any trouble but attracted by the benefit of the doge way, just how much would I save if I listen to the accountant?

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/82390.htm

mucyx2007 wrote:
    If not too much, I will get it rented the normal through agent…

This quote below is directly from

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/00131327.htm

Interest

People sometimes use their loan facility for both investing and private purposes – for example, to purchase or renovate a rental property and to buy a motor boat.

The interest expense on the private portion of the loan (the motor boat) is not deductible.

Attention icon

A common mistake is to claim a deduction for interest on the private portion of the loan.

Profile photo of jcar114578jcar114578
    @jcar114578

Thanks for the information.

So if I do rent out the old one through the normal way, I can claim the deduction for the interest of 230k and the stampty I paid about 6 years ago?

It may not be as much as the doge way but it is legal.

Also if I rent out my main residence which I have been lived in for the past years, how does the 6 years CGT exemption apply?

Thanks

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

You can only claim one main residence at a time- That is if you were living in a house that you owned, you can not claim another house as your PPOR as you can only live in one house at a time. If you move into a house that you owned, that house must be your designated PPOR.

If you do move out into your new house, you will only be able to claim interest on $90k of your loan on your 1st property. Even though your mortgage is $230k, you can not claim interest on the money that you withdrew to fund a deposit on your new house. The ATO looks at the purpose of the loan and not at the security of the loan- so even though you withdrew the extra money and secured this against House #1, because the purpose of this redraw was for House #2 you can not claim the interest as a cost against House #1.

Hope this is clear enough.

And also as a side note- There is no point trying to cheat the tax system. If you get audited and the ATO finds out that you have lied to avoid paying tax, the chances are they will prosecute you for Tax Evasion as they do not look lightly on these matters.

Cheers,
    Luke

@jcar114578

Thanks Again. One more question, if I do lease the old house it will be CGT free for 6 years as it has been my main res for past years? also if I decide to keep selling it till sold, it is again CGT free as it has been my main res? Thanks all, I will follow the law Cheers

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster
    mucyx2007 wrote:
    Thanks Again. One more question, if I do lease the old house it will be CGT free for 6 years as it has been my main res for past years? also if I decide to keep selling it till sold, it is again CGT free as it has been my main res? Thanks all, I will follow the law Cheers

You can apply for the old house to be regarded by the ATO as your primary residence even when renting it out for CGT exemption for up to six years  however you can only do this on one house at a time. So house number two would be CGT liable while you are treating old house as main dwelling CGT exemption.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/36887.htm

Exception to what I typed above
    There is also a situation where if you are not renting out the two houses you can have both houses as main residence for up to 6 months
    See
    moving house section in link below
    http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/36888.htm

If you phone the
    ATO
    on 132861
    you will be find them to be very helpful on any inquiry or clarification on what was typed above that you may have.

@jcar114578

Thanks, all
    Heaps of great information i can get in here!

If I treat my old house as investment property which is CGT free for 6 years, and the new one as main dwelling.

Say then sell the old house within 6 years, will there be any CGT?

Or any CGT if I sell the new one (which has been my main dwelling) and moved into the old house?

Thanks all

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.