All Topics / Help Needed! / property developing and NO previous experience.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of motherhenmotherhen
    Participant
    @motherhen

hi,

i’ve owned property before but never build anything.

i’m about to buy land that has pre approval for 4 townhouses.
    i’ve done my math and seems like a profitable venture.

i have looked at the cost of the land and the cost of building. and added 30k extra for each unit in case other things creep up.

is there anything else i should be considering?

finance wise i am ok – i have 500k of my own funds and the rest i am hoping to get from a bank. but i haven’t spoken to any bank yet.

also, i don’t know a good builder in melbourne. i’ve heard reliable builder is the key. so if anybody knows someone, please advise.

Please any help would be great. any advice would be welcome.

i need as much info as you can give me.

thank you
    :)

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Have you factored in the cost of bank interest between now and the likely sale date of the townhouses?

Remember you will be unable to sell them off separately until you subdivide.  Talk to a Surveyor about this to understand the timeframes and likely costs. 

You'll also need to factor in cost of driveways, fencing, landscaping, clothesline, that sort of thing that doesn't always get included by the builder.

Be sure to cover off insurance – find out if you'd pay for this or if the builder would pay.

I'm sure someone will be able to recommend a builder – what town is your land in?

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of motherhenmotherhen
    Participant
    @motherhen

Hi JacM

This is great info that i’ll definitely follow up. Those are things I hadn’t thought of yet.

The Land is near Dandenong in Victoria.

Thanks heaps for all of this :):)

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

before firming up your offer get inprinciple approval of finance. Also speak to a few building companies which are building similar developments in the area.

Profile photo of Charles 1Charles 1
    Participant
    @charles-1

You may find 4 units is a bit too big for your first venture – make sure the banks will lend you money.

They like to see some experience – for 4 units, they’ll probably only lend you 70% LVR.

If you don’t have a builder – how do you know the cost for your estimates. I’m not trying to be negative – just give a few things to think about.

You better learn a bit about development – probably can’t do it from a book or articles but you may get something out of this series of articles – has some good stuff on property development:

http://www.propertyupdate.com.au/categories/property-development.html

Good luck with your project

Participant
    @motherhen

oh my god thank you soooooooooo much to everybody. this is great.
    i’m taking everything in like a thirsty sponge.

initially when i decided to do property development, i thought to myself what’s the big deal. buy a piece of land and build a few townhouses on it. but now, the more i know, the more i realize how little i know. there is a sea of information out there. it’s sooo hard to sift through it and decide what is good and what not and especially what is relevant to my situation. so my hat goes off to the people who are already doing it. coz now i know this isn’t as easy as it looks at first.

yeah maybe 4 properties is a bit of a big project. but i thought since i’ve got 500k the bank can lend me the rest. i haven’t done my homework at all. i have no idea what the townhouses will cost in real terms. i’m just putting figures together based on other people’s estimates of similar projects. and what the real estate agent is telling me.

i’ll start taking this a little slower i think. and a bit more serious. this is hard work. but so exciting. love challenges. and this is one of them. i know i’ll succeed. i’m not being smug or anything. but gotta stay positive right?

thanks again everyone.
    if you have anything else to add, Please Please do so.
    Cheers
    S :)

Profile photo of beediebeedie
    Participant
    @beedie

Love the enthusiasm but must say Interesting market  to go into a build with no experience. I wouldn't leave a lot of room for error in this market.

You have $500k to buy the property or  is that $500k to put towards the build?

Talk to your bank/broker and find out what you can and cant do before venturing in.. Don't want to buy a DA site and find you maybe cant finance the build

Some other things  to look into
    B.A costs ( assuming you only have DA)
    House removal costs (assuming something is on the block at the moment)
    GST considerations on the build ( also look into the margin scheme)
    Real estate costs on selling the end project

Good luck it is exciting and keep asking questions

Participant
    @motherhen

hi beedie,
    whenever i’ve decided to do anything – the market is not just right. i’ve now decided things are not ever going to be exactly right. so now is as good a time as ever…..i hope :)

i have 500k for everything. buying property, building, etc. anything above and beyond 500k i have to borrow. so i guess finding out exact costs is critical as it will tell me how much i need to borrow and which bank will trust me with that much money.

ok can you please tell me what is a DA site? and what does B.A costs stand for?
    i’ve tried to look at everything that could be DA and BA and can’t work them out myself.

all your other suggestions are great. ie. house removal costs…would not have crossed my mind otherwise.

is there like a magazine or a book that gives a list of items i should consider before jumping on the developing wagon?

thank you so much.
    regards
    S :)

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Go afghangirl, you are enthusiastic!

Here is the Ron Forlee book again (!) residential development guide, the API small development guide. Have a squiz at Rookie Developers website as well.

Now 4 TH's on the site means you need to have your finance sorted now, rather than leaving it to chance. So if you do get this site when do you plan on building? Most builders won't start over xmas break etc. Call some builders get some quotes and ask them when they could start building. You might find there is a delay of 3 -4 mths meaning you want a longer settlement.

Why is the vendor selling this site? Is there no money in it? Has the market moved and the resale price has changed? Could they not get finance, why not? Be very careful.

Do your sums, get every figure you can before you start.

Eg. (VERY ROUGH FIGURES)

Land $500k (inc stamp duty, etc)
    Building $900
    Drawings and extra costs such as holding costs demolition etc $70k-$200k depending on how long it takes what else you need to pay for.
    Agent to sell the units 15k on each one

Resale so say they will each sell for $500k (be careful this is the figure that counts) 2,000,000 = ok profit give or take. (not including tax here)

These figures are really, really, rough ok everyone :)

If any of these figures are lower or higher the money you make will change.

I wouldn't get out of bed for less than 20% margin (on a bad day) IF you are doing heaps of deals then 15% is doable, but everything, everything will eat into a healthy profit.

Developing is very cash hungry, so try to borrow as much as you can (within reason) and keep your cash to pay your consultants.

Good luck, feel free to PM me if you get stuck with anything.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

By the way,

BA – building approval
    DA – development approval

There are two different permits you need to get in order to start building, they may have one, you might need to apply for the other.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

DA is called a Planning Permit in Victoria.

Finance for 4 units, if there are decent margins is easy. I would disagree with the people who have said it is too big for a first timer, i think its about right. The margins and actual cash profit, for the time and risk required, are generally too small on smaller developments. I've been in this game for some time, as both developer myself and broking finance for developers and I have seen very few smaller developments that have been successful without help from a rising market.

Without knowing anything about the project I would expect a 4 unit developpment near Dandenong would not have great margins and you would probably be better off either going for 3 or 4 units in a more expensive area or going for a larger development. As a rule you are going to be ablke to borrow 80% of costs, so $500K will get you a project costing around $2mill.

Regards
    Alistair

Profile photo of Rexilla99Rexilla99
    @rexilla99

Hey,

Congrats on taking your first step.

Check to see if you haven't left anything out of the feasibility. Below are some things you could check out before buying the site.

1. council or infrastructure charges
    2. site issues such as flooding or road widening.
    3. sewer and storm water connection to the site.
    4. speak to a local builder to get accurate price estimation

Jason

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.