All Topics / Help Needed! / First property purchase coming up. Help needed

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of the kidthe kid
    @the-kid

Hi All,

I am new to this site and from what I have read so far, it seems great.

I am 27 years old, single and am learning about property investment. I see a lot of people my age falling into the trap of committing to 500-700K mortgages, I am not interested in doing this. I want to purchase my first property in a growth area for around the 250-300 mark. I am confident with the research that I am performing that I can identify a potential growth area. I am to rent it out after the first 6 months so I still get the 1st home buyers grant. I am not too far away from a 50K deposit.

My question is, what is the quickest way to acquire the 2nd and 3rd property?
    Is it a better option to source positive or negative  geared investments?
    If I have a property that is close to cash positive, will the bank be happy to lend me another 250K to do it again.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers.

Profile photo of bevkbevk
    Participant
    @bevk

I can't advise you on all the aspects of your question, but personally would not invest in anything that was neg geared. I could not afford to support ANY properties at a loss, but could happily have many properties which paid me cash (rental) every month, year in, year out.

Some people could possibly support 1 property at a loss, hoping for capital gains (but takes years).
    Most people should invest in property that gives a positive cash flow from day one (IMO).

Also, you should think about overseas (USA) deals. Their market has fallen through the floor. For your same 300K you get 3-4 houses, all paying rent and therefore positive cash flow. Returns seem to be somewhere between 15-23%, depending on location.

Just my personal opinion I'm sure others will step in with more advice.

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi ?

You might like to consider structuring your next IP so it generates positive cash flow and fixed capital gain, i.e. buy your next property and on sell it with a vendor financed Instalment Contract.

We have been doing this for quite some time and find it to be a good tool to increase the speed of our portfolio building.  It is often possible to structure it so that one of these +cf and fixed capital gain properties, supports another similar buy & hold.

Cheers,  Paul 

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.