All Topics / Value Adding / Reno with clean hands

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of PGDPGD
    @pgd

Hi all,

I like the idea of doing renos however, I work ridiculous hours 6 days a week leaving no time to get on the tools.

Does having a builder, and their profit margins, kill the numbers?

Mario

Profile photo of karen.karen.
    @karen.

for us it made MORE financial sence to get tradies to do all the work.  with us it woulda taken months to get all the work done, but only one week for all the tradies to do it – and they did a better more professional job.

so if it had taken 12 weeks (at only doing it on weekends cos hubby works, and we live 2 hrs from investment prop) we woulda lost $4200 in rent that we coulda been recieving, plus our expenses for getting the work done (and all the stress).  it probably woudla cost us about $1000 roughly in products/tools. 

instead it cost us $8000 to get it all done in a week by professionals. 

$8000 – $5200 = $2800 …. roughly what it cost us extra to get tradies to do it.  so for the sake of our stress levels and NOT losing our weekends (only family time), it was well worth the expense.

Profile photo of iballiball
    Participant
    @iball

Hey Mario

My basic rule of thumb, if i make make more in a day or week than the tradie i'm planning to employ then i'll pay a good pro to do it and stick to my regular income production.When i've got the time and enough knowledge of the task to do it myself i do it as i know i will do as good a job,and even better on some occassions, than the tradesman. Electricity and copper pipe however are the exceptions to the rule.

Good luck..Cheers

iball

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

I agree with the above re knowing when it's best to do it yourself and when it's best to pay someone.
    Also consider it may take you 3 days but a professional can get it done in a day so doing it yourself is false economy.

I love doing the renos  but won't take time off work to do it. I will work nights and weekends but obviously you can't do this for months on end. I get tradies in for some jobs (electrical, big tiling jobs etc).

Getting a project manager will obviously add to the costs. If you can organise tradies yourself it will be cheaper but working long hours makes it hard to track progress and see when you are ready for the next trade to go in and also that they are doing what you want and to a standard. Whether it kills the numbers depends on the project itself.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

DIY = poorly supervised/overtime/over budget.

As above, unless you earn substantially less than the tradies or have copius free time & love stress, leave it to the pros.

If it is an IP you can’t claim your labour costs, generally thus leaving you with a greater amount of cgt payable upon sale. So, more false economy.

Participant
    @catalyst
    Scott No Mates wrote:
    DIY = poorly supervised/overtime/over budget.

Maybe in your case.  Definitely not in mine.

Scott No Mates wrote:
    As above, unless you earn substantially less than the tradies or have copius free time & love stress, leave it to the pros. If it is an IP you can't claim your labour costs, generally thus leaving you with a greater amount of cgt payable upon sale. So, more false economy.

Depends. You pay an extra $20,000 to get someone else to do it. Say you keep the property for 10 years. That's an extra $14,000 over 10 years in interest (assuming you paid the interest every year). If not it would be $19,000 and you still haven't psaid back the $20,000.  So then you sell it. You get $20,000 deduction (off your capital) which means you save $7000 (after tax). So you are $12,000 behind. False economy.

I'd rather have the money in my pocket NOW. I can use that $20,000 to go towards my next deposit.
    So it's not a black and white issue. As mentioned-you need to balance time and money. Everyone is different hand has differing time and expertise constraints. Only you know what situation suits you.

Profile photo of PGDPGD
    @pgd

Thanks guys for the perspective,

I think it all comes down to your attitude towards your time.

I think even if it ends up costing you a little more in the long run you are actually ahead because you have saved your energy, time and health.

After all, it is not all about the money right?

We are playing this game with the aim to improving our lifestyle. In particularly the life / work balance.

Well, at least I am.

If the numbers are not working for you no matter which way you cut it, then the deal isn't for you.

Chears.

Mario

Participant
    @catalyst
    PGD wrote:
    Thanks guys for the perspective,

I think it all comes down to your attitude towards your time.
    I think even if it ends up costing you a little more in the long run you are actually ahead because you have saved your energy, time and health.

After all, it is not all about the money right?
    We are playing this game with the aim to improving our lifestyle. In particularly the life / work balance.

Well, at least I am.

If the numbers are not working for you no matter which way you cut it, then the deal isn't for you.

Chears.
    Mario

Yep agree. I love doing the renos and it keeps me fit and I have the time as I don't work long hours so for me it's a no brainer with regard to doing some of the work myself.
    If I was strapped for time and I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't do it. Life is too short to do things you don't enjoy.
    Pretty simple really.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates
    Catalyst wrote:

I'd rather have the money in my pocket NOW. I can use that $20,000 to go towards my next deposit.
    So it's not a black and white issue. As mentioned-you need to balance time and money. Everyone is different hand has differing time and expertise constraints. Only you know what situation suits you.

What you are forgetting Catalyst is that whilst the ob takes longer to complete the works, you are paying interest on the entire loan so not only is the ob paying additional interest they aren’t getting the cashflow for that additional period either.

That 20k margin would be proportional to the size of the job, so it may be insignificant in the scope of things.

Participant
    @catalyst
    Scott No Mates wrote:
    Catalyst wrote:

What you are forgetting Catalyst is that whilst the ob takes longer to complete the works, you are paying interest on the entire loan so not only is the ob paying additional interest they aren't getting the cashflow for that additional period either. That 20k margin would be proportional to the size of the job, so it may be insignificant in the scope of things.

No I'm not forgetting that. I factor ALL costs in when doing my renos. As I said it depends on the individual and time. You need to work out what your time is worth. 2 weeks extra is not worth $20K. I buy bread and butter properties so 2 weeks extra interest is only $600. I can replace kitchen, bathroom and paint an entire house in 4 weeks and maybe even rip out a wall.

Profile photo of RnPRnP
    @rnp

Hi Mario,

If you have good renovation costing software you can actually do two theoretical feasibilities for both possible situations, one including you doing the work and the other if you outsourced it, then it will be a simple task of deciding which one is more profitable and suitable for what you need.
    Amanda

Profile photo of House CallHouse Call
    @house-call
    Catalyst wrote:
    . I can replace kitchen, bathroom and paint an entire house in 4 weeks and maybe even rip out a wall.

that's impressive.  How much of all that do you contract out to tradies? 

Participant
    @catalyst

We do a lot at nights and weekends (besides our day jobs), We rip everything out ourselves. We paint, do kitchen tiling, put vanity, laundry etc in, rip out walls.
    Builder friend helps with new walls.

After bathroom is prepared we pay for bathroom to be waterproofed and tiled (then we put in vanity etc) and kitchen installed and electrical (of course) and to get floor sanded.

Really unless you are doing lots structural stuff I don't see how it runs into months.

We love doing it. To pay tradies to do everything would more than double the cost. We figure saving $15-20K is worth 3-4 weeks of our lives. Saving $15K on each reno adds up over time. So on 4 reno's thats $60-80K that you are ahead and $60-80K you are not paying interest on.

Profile photo of propertyjockeypropertyjockey
    @propertyjockey

Hi all,

I can see the opportunities in doing Reno's

It is the time that kills it for me. I work long and stressful hours just so that I can secure property and service -ve gearing.

What little time I have left is spent with my family and sleeping.

The numbers need to work without me being on the tools.

Mario

Participant
    @catalyst

Mario everyone is different. Some people have more time than money. Others have more money than time. So that's why investing is different for everyone. You do it the way that suits you. There is no right or wrong way.

As you said the numbers need to work. Bottom line. I have a friend who buys similar houses to me but he pays people to do the work. Sure it costs a bit more but he earns a lot more than me at his job (long hours like yourself) and spending days/weeks on a reno is not financially wise. I have time so can do it easily. Liking the reno process has a lot to do with it too. Life is too short to waste doing things you don't like.

Good luck with your journey.

Profile photo of nadaimeenadaimee
    @nadaimee
    Catalyst wrote:
    We do a lot at nights and weekends (besides our day jobs), We rip everything out ourselves. We paint, do kitchen tiling, put vanity, laundry etc in, rip out walls.
    Builder friend helps with new walls.

After bathroom is prepared we pay for bathroom to be waterproofed and tiled (then we put in vanity etc) and kitchen installed and electrical (of course) and to get floor sanded.

Really unless you are doing lots structural stuff I don't see how it runs into months.

We love doing it. To pay tradies to do everything would more than double the cost. We figure saving $15-20K is worth 3-4 weeks of our lives. Saving $15K on each reno adds up over time. So on 4 reno's thats $60-80K that you are ahead and $60-80K you are not paying interest on.

Hi Catalyst,

Like you I enjoy working on the tools. I have been re-building my new home after the bushfires in 2009 as an owner builder but employing trades to keep the project moving. I am a project manager by trade and know the flow of processes in a building project. Plaster finally starts tomorrow. I am anticipating moving in mid-to-late February 2011. I have been involved on the tools throughout the whole project as well as working a full-time. As I have the project management skills and practical skills on the tools, I am considering changing my career and doing this full time as buy-renovate-hold for 12 months, and then if the market is right and the numbers stack up sell and move on to another project. I am fortunate enough to be in a very good financial position which would enable me to do this.
    What I would like to know is if there is a formula you need to work to when renovating, ie: if I spend $1 dollar what is the expected $ return in value adding. Once again like you I would only be doing quick turnaround renos ie: paint, polished floorboards, kitchen and bathroom (the kitchen and bathroom would be new and modern and nothing too expensive).
    Also, would I be better concentrating on 15K from CBD (Melbourne), or are the returns better further out in the lower valued properties?

Profile photo of jacqui_03jacqui_03
    Participant
    @jacqui_03

Hi naidaimee.

I have read every $1 you spend should add $3-$4 dollars in value.

Cheers

Jac

Participant
    @catalyst

Yes basic $1 = $3. Some say $2 but that's too low for me.

But you need to do the numbers for each case. Sometimes you can buy way below market and just spend very little and make a lot.
    If doing it as a job you need to be more careful with your figures, especially if you are going to sell in 12 months as there's not a lot of room for error.

So do your figures before even placing an offer.
    Factor in ALL your costs:- purchase, stamp duty, solicitors, bank fees, interest while doing the reno, reno costs.
    Then your estimated sell price (be conservative). Also add any out of pocket expenses for the time held (if rent doesn't cover costs), rates etc.
    The profit is your wages. If that's an amount you are happy with for the amount of time you spent doing it then go for it. If we didn't both have good jobs I'd do it. Well we do do it but not to sell. If we needed the cash though I'd do one to sell. Maybe when we retire.

Profile photo of goldiesgoldies
    @goldies

I just did a cosmetic reno that was a mixture of me project managing, some tradies and my husband doing some of it.

I think the most important this is doing what works for you. I LOVED the project management but i would not do any of the manual labour. My husband worked on the outside of the house, gutters, gardens, cleaning etc whilst tradies did the inside.

We had 2 weeks early access, had it all done in 7 business days, tenant moved in day after settlement. All worked out perfectly and the expense was $6500… revalue came in at $16k more than purchase price so we did ok for our first crack.

Most importantly we learned valuable lessons that will enable us to be better at  it next time.
    Also, make sure you get the best price from tradies. get 2 quotes. I saved 10% of the overall project cost by doing this
    You need a team of the right people around you. Once you treat them right the first time, you can expect quality the next time around.
    I sent my painter a christmas card and lotto pack because he probably saved me and my husband getting divorced and about 4 business days of work!

Have a crack with what feels best for you. Change it up next time if you dont like it.

and HAVE FUN!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.