All Topics / General Property / Smashing down a wall and also adding new room with en suite?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of gammonbrusgammonbrus
    @gammonbrus

HI all,

Does anyone know roughly what it would cost to smash down a wall within the house, to open up the kitchen area. Current the kitchen is enclosed to make it feel like a separate room, and there is a serving window to the dining area. Basically I would like the smash the wall open and create a bigger space for the kitchen and dining area.

The wall is not brick, as its an internal wall, just plasterboard from what I can tell. The size is say 4×3 meters.

Also if i were to add a room and en suite to an existing small (99sqm ex gov ) house what sort of ball park figures would it cost? Just a rom of average size, say 5x3m. Are we talking $10,$20,$30 plus grand?

I just would hate to underestimate in a renovation budget, which is always the case so they say?

Thanks
    Joe

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Prices can vary widely depending upon whether the wall is structural.

Profile photo of gammonbrusgammonbrus
    @gammonbrus

Thanks Scott,

I didnt even think of that aspect, its a good point.

I called some company which said they will charge $5grand for a single wall down, then i called a local small business guy and he said $3grand for the two walls down. I was thinking though if I go down and smash the walls in 80-90% and he can finish the job i could save some money.

Thanks mate

Joe

Profile photo of TrevTrev
    @trev

If you are removing an internal wall you need to be sure (as has already been highlighted) that it is not a load-bearing wall.  A first check would be to look at the roof framing: a gang-nail truss roof structure would mean that the internal walls are not taking any roof load.  A traditional roof structure with rafters/ under purlins etc would mean that you will need an engineer's calculation on the size of the beam to support any roof framing above; the Council would need to see these calculations as part of the application for building approval.  If the wall is not load bearing you could remove it fairly easily yourself, by taking off the wall lining and cutting the studs/ noggings behind, then framing the opening and fixing on architraves.  If a good carpenter did that it might take a day and cost you about $500, my guess.  Two walls might be $1,000 to $1,500. 
    A new extension would cost about $1,500 per sm in brick veneer, so 15 m2 = say $25,000 not including en suite. A bathroom fitout could add about $15,000 to that amount.

Profile photo of gammonbrusgammonbrus
    @gammonbrus

Hi Trev,

Thanks a lot for your help mate, very very much appreciate it. I will have to google the truss you were talking about to get a better understanding and see if that is the case. Looks like the extension will just have to wait.

Thanks again

Joe

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.