All Topics / Creative Investing / $100k in Super – Is it “Doable” to purchase a property with SMSF??

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

I have finally identified all of our super funds and consolidated into one fund for each of us – a combined total of $100k.

I have been advised that (St George?) is lending upto 72% for SMSF.

I am of the understanding that it initially costs approx $3k to set up your SMSF.

So am wondering if it is worthwhile to do atm or wait until I have the recommended amount of $130k+?

Profile photo of TassieJHTassieJH
    Participant
    @tassiejh

hi Maree,

Do you have access to equity in other property such as your home or other investment property that is not fully leveraged?

You may save on fees / hassles by using the BYOB concept (be your own bank).   This will require the same Bare Trust set up for the non-recourse loan within a SMSF but you provide th funds via an arms length loan to the SMSF.

Some web information with all the usual disclaimers can be found at EvolveMySuper  "SMSF limited recourse borrowings from related parties"  and TheDunnThing Video Blog – Understanding SMSF Limited Recourse Borrowing Arrangements

I am exploring the same concept but have opted for another strategy short term. 

TassieJH

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

I was approached by Investec bank /Experien doing 90%LVR on the SMSF last month
    I think it is doable to buy property with 100k

Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

Thanks Tassie – we purchased our PPOR last year by using money from our IP and had to get mortgage insurance. Our PPOR has increased by $60k in this time but not keen to mess around with anything there at the moment.

Thanks god_of_money will look at those lenders

Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

god_of_money I checked out their website it has the following on SMSF:

• Borrow up to 90% when guaranteed by yourself and the trustee, and secured against the property
  • Borrow up to 65% when guaranteed by the trustee and secured against the property