All Topics / Help Needed! / Six unit site Frankston Vic

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of Frankston FellaFrankston Fella
    @frankston-fella

Hi again, forgot to ask in my last post if anyone has had any dealings with Frankston Council with regard to getting plans and permits thru on a development site? The site(s) that are currently for sale are adjoining blocks, one a corner block in Frankston Heights (nice area) They are 950 sq meters each so I'm thing six townhouses…any thoughts? I was wondering about how long the process takes? The properties are both currently share houses and giving a good return $40K each per year so from that point of view I could afford to hold them for a year or so. I guess I'm just not 100% confident at the hole council process….any thoughts greatly appreciated, cheers FF

Profile photo of sapphire101sapphire101
    Participant
    @sapphire101

Hi FF

Best to go and speak to a town planner at Frankston council to see what backlog they have and to give you a clearer idea of timeframes. A friend of mine got held up at council because one of their main employees in town planning died and council did not replace him. The normal 3 -4 months ended up being over 1 year, actually could have been longer. The result was he ended up paying huge holding costs on a project that had a limited potential profit. Everything else went to plan and the finished result was perfect and sold well, but it took him 2 years to do a 12-18mth development.

Hopefully this backlog of work has ended now but best to go to the coalface and find out for yourself.

Profile photo of Frankston FellaFrankston Fella
    @frankston-fella

Thanks very much Sapphire
    that's good advice! I wasn't sure who I should speak to first…council, archetect or surveyors.
    Fortunately these properties have good rental returns so holding wouldn't be too painfull
    Again thanks for the tip…… least that is a start…many thanks FF

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

I would suggest not bothering with speaking to the council planners until you have a concept drawing for what you want to put on the site, as any opinions they give you will be meaningless. You would be better off concentrating on getting a good designer and consultant planner and take advice from them.

Regards
    Alistair

@frankston-fella

Thanks Alistair, I definately need to find a good local archetect (one who is not TOO busy)…any ideas? anyone?

@frankston-fella

This week is crunch time….so any thoughts greatly appreciated! cheers

@frankston-fella

Can anyone recommend a good archetect? One that is not too busy to talk to you…….!!

Profile photo of thomsonthomson
    @thomson

my experience in Geelong at the moment is that everyone is at 100% in the lead up to Christmas.  hopefully will ease off in the new year.

thommo

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Have to say I think lead up to Christmas you have bucklys. Try Christian at Brutal Art http://brutalart.com.au/
    He used come on here quite a bit but is probably snowed under with work :) They do all sort of stuff so 6 units shouldn't be too hard.

Also if you can get your application in before all the holidays all those days count towards your time in council. So if council has to respond within a certain time then it all counts.

Good luck.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

@frankston-fella

thanks for your reply guys……no real rush as I am only considering buying the properties still at this stage, I really just wanted to speak to someone before I buy about the suitability of the blocks for development, make sure there are no issues. But like you say everyone is just SO busy….having said that thanks for the posts cheers guys FF

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

Yes, it's a busy time of year alright.
    And thanks DWolfe for the recommendation. This is the first time I've read the posts for a couple of weeks.

The first and most important thing you need to do Frankston Fella, is to understand the planning overlays for the specific area. Different areas allow different densities. Proximity to services and transport is usually a good indicator of higher density overlays.

A corner block enjoys set back dispensations and can also allow titles without common property if designed well. A density of 6:950m2 (1:158m2) would be unusual but perhaps possible in higher density areas.

Good luck with it.

@frankston-fella

thanks very much Christian!
    quite a bit to take in. Once I digest all that I might have some questions for you cheers FF

Profile photo of itsandrewitsandrew
    Participant
    @itsandrew

Hi,

My reading of FF's orifinal post is 2 x 950m2 blocks.  So Christian's calcs should read 6:1900m2 (ie. 1:317)?

Sorry if I have misread something.

Regards,

Andrew

itsandrew

Go as far as you can see and you will see further.

@frankston-fella

I think you might be on the money there Andrew!
    Thanks that sounds much more resonable! Better than living in a shoe box…cheers FF

Profile photo of bm17bm17
    Participant
    @bm17

Hi FF, I am currently undertaking 2 subdivisions with the Frankston Council and have found the process to be rather time consuming.
    Both projects are a simply subdivision, keeping the existing house while building a 2 bedroom townhouse at the rear. I started working with a private town planner in Feb 2010 and have only received permits within the last couple of weeks and these permits have conditions on them (such as landscape plans and stormwater detention plans) that must be submitted and approved before any building can commence.
    I agree with other posts, get a good town planner that has completed this process with the frankston council and be prepared for it to take some time, especially because you are planning a 6 unit site.
    Good luck with it!

@frankston-fella

thanks Blair….good to get your input..they certainly don't make things easy do they?
    well it seems the 2 properties have gone under contract anyway…so maybe a little more homework before the next opportunity comes along……maybe I'll just look at the last rooming house on Netherplace drive for a bit of income for now…..thanks to everyone for their contributions…much appreciated

Profile photo of MauriceSMauriceS
    @maurices

Hi FF

I have just noticed your post.  Its a shame that you missed out on this opportunity.  If you are continuing at looking at projects within the Frankston area l have an excellent planner that l could refer you to. Send me a messaage if you are interested. They are based in Mt Eliza.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.