All Topics / Help Needed! / Advice Needed – What to do when a property has an asbestos register?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of young_investor1988young_investor1988
    @young_investor1988

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since my last post, however I am once again seeking any advice/tips you may have.

I am currently looking at adding a 2nd property to my portfolio and have found a property in one of Adelaide's most sought after suburbs. The unit is in a 2 storey complex, being on the ground floor with private front & rear yards… However while walking my parents around the outside of the complex tonight, we noticed signs on the upper level with an asbestos warning for the roof…. The complex was built in the 60's when the use of asbestos was pretty common.

While it is a strata complex, any major issues are obviously covered by the strata, however from a health perspective, can anyone see any major issues with this?

My dad & I are not as concerned, with the unit I'm interested in being on the ground floor… however mum isn't so sure!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Provided the material is in good condition, there shouldn’t be an issue.

An asbestos register lists the locations, types & conditions of the material.

Profile photo of young_investor1988young_investor1988
    @young_investor1988

Cheers Scott! All documentation will be provided with the contract, so I'll be able to study up on it before signing my life away.

Profile photo of onthemoneyonthemoney
    @onthemoney

Heres some good info related to the topic.. http://www.nar.asn.au/ .. The only consideration is if your planning to renovate, what kind of renovations will you undertake and of course you will need to factor in the related issues and cost.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.